User:A proofreader/Screenshots for dummies
- This guide assumes you are using Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 and using Paint. A small mac guide is available at the bottom. If you are using another application or operating system, this guide may not be for you.
This screenshots for dummies guide will explain how to take a screenshot and crop it for upload on the RuneScape Wiki.
Windows[edit | edit source]
Opening Paint[edit | edit source]
- Click the Start Menu button. It should look like this:
If you are using Windows XP, the Start Menu will have the text "start" on it before pointing it with your mouse.
- In the Start Menu, click All Programs, then Accessories, then Paint.
http://images.wikia.com/runescapeimageshost/images/c/c8/Windows_7_start_menu.png -> http://images.wikia.com/runescapeimageshost/images/2/2c/Windows_7_programs_menu.png -> http://images.wikia.com/runescapeimageshost/images/d/d7/Windows_7_Accessories_menu.png
You now have an open Paint window.
Creating a screenshot[edit | edit source]
- Activate the window containing RuneScape. This may be a browser or the downloadable client.
- Press Alt+PrintScreen. That is, while Alt is pressed, press the key named PrintScreen, then release both keys.
- In an open Paint window, press Ctrl+V. You have now pasted your screenshot into Paint.
- (Optional) You can now save the image to your computer if you want to keep the entire screenshot for your personal use.
Cropping a screenshot[edit | edit source]
Cropping is to make the image contain only its subject, erasing what's around it. To crop a screenshot in Paint:
- Activate the rectangular selection tool in the tool bar. You will find the Select tool at the top of the Paint window. Click it, then select the rectangular selection shape. (In Windows XP, the rectangular selection tool is a dotted rectangle in the tool bar. Click it.)
- Make a rectangle around the subject. If you miss your selection, do not use the resizing handles around the rectangle, because it will resize the content you have selected, not expand or shrink your selection.
- Paste your selection into a new file. To do this, press Ctrl+C to copy the selection's content, Ctrl+N to clear the current image (say No to the prompt if you don't want to save the image), and Ctrl+V to paste the content.
- If your selection had multiple subjects, you will need to save this new cropped file to your computer, otherwise your content will be lost after the first sub-crop!
Creating individual inventory icons[edit | edit source]
To create files for individual inventory icons, repeat the instructions in Cropping a screenshot, above. The process will look like this:
http://images.wikia.com/runescapeimageshost/images/8/88/Inventory_icon_selected.png -> http://images.wikia.com/runescapeimageshost/images/4/44/Just_the_icon.png
Between inventory icons, you will need to re-open the file you created at the end of the previous section. To do this, open the ribbon menu (in Windows XP, this is the File menu) and select Open, then pick the name of the file you saved and select Open.
Now, you will want to save this, or these, individual icons to your computer so that you can upload it, or them, to the wiki.
Saving images to your computer[edit | edit source]
- In the ribbon menu, select Save As, then PNG picture.
In Windows XP, the ribbon menu is the File menu, and Save As will not have a submenu – instead, select "Portable Network Graphics (*.PNG)" in the File Type drop-down box.
- Give a name to your file according to the wiki's nomenclature. Make sure you add ".png" in lower case at the end of your chosen name.
- Click Save.
You now have a saved picture. You can upload this to the wiki.
Uploading to the wiki[edit | edit source]
- Go to Special:Upload, the upload page.
- Click the Browse button and select the file you just saved. It will be in the My Pictures folder.
- Give the same name to the file on the wiki. In the example above, it would be "Prayer potion (4).png".
- Click Upload.
Mac[edit | edit source]
If you are using a mac, the instructions are different. Simply do the following:
- Have your image ready to take in RuneScape.
- Press Cmd + Shift + 4.
- The mouse will now turn into an icon with coordinates of your desktop.
- Click your mouse once at the top of the image, this will then select the top.
- Make a box around where you want to take the image, then click again for it to take the image.
- Your image will then be saved onto your desktop.
- Follow the same directions for uploading as specified above. Don't forget that your file will be named "Screenshot at DATE TIME.png" on your computer and that you need to upload it to the correct name on the wiki.
See also[edit | edit source]
You may want to know more about how images on the wiki are made. Here are some other interesting guides.