Cor, it's nonstop anniversaries this year! In this week's newspost we're celebrating one year of the Ninja Team with a new miniquest - plus, the player-designed Activity Pets have been released into the wild!
New Activity Pets
Ninja tortles aren't the only strange animals hi-kicking their way into the game this week - meet the Activity Pets! These player-designed critters were voted into the game by you last year, and our artists have been hard at work bringing the winners' designs to life. So, without further ado, let's meet the pets!
Richie is a fancy magpie with very expensive tastes. If you can help him accumulate 100,000,000 Gold Pieces, he'll follow you anywhere - and when you reach even higher wealth milestones, he'll change appearance!
There are four appearances in total, unlocked at 100,000,000GP, 1,000,000,000GP, 5,000,000,000GP and 10,000,000,000GP. Beyond that, you can continue to hand over as much cash as you like for bragging rights.
You can donate your hard-earned Gold Pieces to Richie at the Grand Exchange.
Richie was designed by KariChibi.
Mune is a mysterious creature who wanders the wilds of Gielinor, changing appearance to suit the environment. But be careful - they only appear to adventurers who've proved their local knowledge by completing Elite Area Task Achievements.
There are six appearances in total, unlocked by spotting Mune in different regions of the world. Here's a quick field guide:
||Desert Set Tasks - Elite
||Tirannwn Set Tasks - Elite
||Fremennik Set Tasks - Elite
||Morytania Set Tasks - Elite
||Wilderness Set Tasks - Elite
||Dependent on area (See above)
||Dependent on area (See above)
Mune will roam Gielinor every 2-4 hours and will wander about for 30 minutes before leaving. Keep your eyes peeled!
Mune was designed by Suizzy.
When completing clue steps and opening caskets, you now have the chance to find a Golden Compass. Activating it will unlock Artemis, the Treasure Trails pet! This wise and ethereal deer will be your companion as you travel the world collecting clues.
Artemis was designed by Wild Kitzune.
Hey, does this pet remind you of anyone? Zez is there to be your boon companion throughout your RuneScape journey. He'll be unlocked once you reach 5,000 RuneScore, and as you explore the world and complete further achievements, he'll level up alongside you!
Zez gets a new appearance at 10,000, 15,000, 20,000 and 25,000 RuneScore - so get ready to check off those cheevos!
Zez was designed by Babysteps.
Ninja Strike 18: Ninja'versary!
It's been a whole year since the Ninja Team began their epic quest to eliminate bugbears and nitpicks all across the game - and they just haven't stopped since! In our 18th Ninja Strike they're tackling that pesky General QoL again, and they've also prepared a special surprise...
New Miniquest - Tortle Combat
Listen here, kid - never mess around with teleportation! Now that the Trap Telekinesis spell has been invented we've been receiving strange reports from all over Gielinor, and the latest one is right here in the Varrock Sewers. Apparently some tortles were accidentally teleported in from the Maw, and the experience has made them a little... 'different'. Go help them out, will ya?
To start, speak to Postie Pete-za by the entrance to the Varrock Sewers
- 40 Construction
- 17 Farming
- Completed the introduction to Player Owned Farms
After helping the Ninjas' mutant tortles (age unknown), you'll get the following rewards:
- 10,000 Construction XP Lamp
- 1,000 Farming XP Lamp
- 1,000 Magic XP Lamp
- Ninja Hood cosmetic override
An Update on Rare Item Changes
On January 26th we posted an update to the Rare Item Changes including what went wrong. If you missed it, you can see the full details here.
As mentioned in the linked post, today's update includes the promised 15,000 Oddments and 15 Treasure Hunter Keys for eligible players. The Limited and Current Rare Items are also now available in the Oddments Store.
Thanks again for your understanding through this misstep.
Loot Duels Returns
Loot Duels returns from February 2nd to February 15th!
Don't forget, in addition to being able to take your pick of your favourite chests from past promotions, every time you open a chest you'll move along the progression tree and get an even greater variety of rewards. Happy hunting!
Ninja Strike Notes
Tortle Combat Miniquest
- The Doomsayer has re-evaluated the dangers (or lack thereof) in the Varrock Sewer and has removed the warning for entering.
- After a recent incident involving several tortles, the Ninjas have fine-tuned the Trap Telekinesis spell's teleportation mechanic.
- Broadcasts will now display at what XP threshold or kill count a skill or boss pet was obtained.
- The Saradomin Owl, Zamorak Hawk and Guthix Raptor have been converted from object pets to interface pets.
- If you own these god-birds already you will unlock them upon next log in - otherwise, they can be obtained by taking the egg from an incubator.
- All three growth stages will become available on unlock.
- The Ninjas are currently wrangling even more object pets, so keep your eyes peeled for similar changes soon.
- Upper-left hover text is now disabled by default for new accounts.
- Resolved an issue with the Settings > Controls interface that could cause assigned hotkeys to become unresponsive in-game.
- The Grand Party has ended. Thanks for coming along!
- Treasure Hunter will now accurately calculate and inform you of how many Oddments you should receive when converting prizes before they're claimed.
- The Fortune perk will now work correctly when smelting.
- Fixed an error that was occurring when asking War to combine jellyfish on a free-to-play world.
- The 'Blingy Fings' Archaeology collection will now show a green checkmark when complete, as all other collections do.
- Hard emote Clue Scrolls can no longer be completed with the incorrect emote.
- 'The Prodigal Spender' will no longer unlock before purchasing all the requisite permanent unlocks.
- Fixed an issue with the You Are It quest which blocked progression on the mobile platform.
2nd February | 17:00 Game Time | Ninja'versary Celebration!
Join the Ninja Team as they look back over 12 months of shuriken, ramen, and awesome updates.
By Thaina Bloodwell
Awesome Art - Extended Edition
Mod Kari just couldn't choose between all the fantastic art she's seen this week, so we've got a special extended Awesome Art section to show you! Let's take a look…
Ooh, check out this stunning portrait of Zamorak by Nyxed. Those dramatic colours really set the mood!
And look at this fabulous artwork from Nina_Ray! It's her character, off on a grand, clue-chasing adventure. This really has us craving foreign holidays. Remember those?
And lastly, we have this super-cute character portrait from Sir Bedevere the Wise on Discord! Ah, there's nothing like an afternoon stroll.
Pink Skirts Event
This week's featured Pink Skirts Event is the Skill 'n' Chill! Join Madclikr, NapTimeNow and theLilTuzziesClan for an hour of, well, chillin' and skillin'!
The event takes place at Burthorpe Bank, W85, on February 1st from 23:00 to 23:59 Game Time.
Find more events here.
This week we'd like to give a round of applause to the RS Wiki! It's the source of information for all things RuneScape, from quest guides to truly obscure knowledge - how many of you have met the Mega Ducklings?
Here's the best part - you too can become a Wiki Wizard and help fuel this massive collaborative machine! Check out this page to see how you can help!
The RuneScape Team