Hello, and welcome to this week's newspost! While we're in the welcoming mood, don't forget to pop down to Lumbridge Crater and say hi to the Charity Representatives who've set up shop there for Gielinorian Giving. We've also got the usual array of fixes and changes in the Patch Notes tab, and some extremely sus individuals in the Community Tab.
This week's main update is Gielinorian Giving, a charity bonanza where you can win some awesome prizes. We've also got an update on the Archaeology XP Embargo.
On October 10th it's World Mental Health Day and to celebrate we're hosting a two week-long extravaganza filled with opportunities to learn about mental health, contribute to a great cause, and, of course, earn some fabulous loot!
This event will run from today until October 18th, so you've got loads of time to experience the joy of Gielinorian Giving.
To kick things off, we've invited representatives from all three of our Charity Partners to Lumbridge Crater where they're ready and waiting to talk all about the amazing work they do. Here's the twist: they've got some questions for you too! Every two days the charity representatives will have a new brainteaser for you. Answer correctly and you'll receive Lamps and Traveling Artisan Patches.
Woah, woah, what's that about a Traveling Artisan? Well, this time around our charitable friends aren't the only ones visiting Gielinor – Ulric, the Bastion of Fortitude himself and an accomplished Traveling Artisan, has set up shop in the Lumbridge Crater as well. He's got all sorts of plans and blueprints, but needs your help to make his ideas a reality. Bring him materials (or replace any missing components with Traveling Artisan Patches) and he'll craft you a range of exciting rewards, including the Guardian of Fortitude Armour*.
Ulric's also been able to reverse-engineer a few rewards from previous years' charity events, including Eugene the Brain, Scoop and Percy the yetis, the cuddly Brain Plushie and, of course, the Bastion of Fortitude Armour.
Since Gielinorian Giving is a charity event, any money raised throughout will be split between our three Charity Partners – Rise Above the Disorder, CPSL Mind and the Prince's Trust. Your contribution will help them to tackle the stigma around mental health, run workshops and courses for young people still finding their feet and help gamers all over the world to access mental health resources. They do some truly incredible work, so let's give them a big Gielinorian welcome!
*We are aware of some minor clipping issues with the 'Guardian of Fortitude leg armour and should have a fix for this soon in a future update!
Archaeology XP Embargo
We've got an apology to make – last week there was some confusion regarding the end date for the Archaeology XP Embargo. The date was revised late last week but due to an internal communication error we did not inform you all in time.
The revised date is October 19th, after which point you'll be able to use Lamps, Stars, Auras and any other XP-boosting buffs you can get your hands on to boost your Archaeology XP gains.
We can confirm that the end of the grace period for Completionist Cape and Trimmed Completionist Cape Achievements ended on September 30th, and the 2% XP boost from the Kerapac Track also came into effect on that date.
In this week's Patch Notes we're dabbling with sounds and… ladders. There's also changes to quests, a typo fix (we know you love hearing about those) and some general improvements all across the game. Let's dig in, shall we?
Hear that? It's the sounds of two audio improvements!
- The Achievement completion sound is now more subdued and varied.
- Pet kittens will now make a different sound when summoned.
- Removed duplicated text in the Quest Journal for 'While Guthix Sleeps'.
- The guard is no longer able to block the registrar from returning to the entry room in 'A Guild of Our Own'.
- Fixed an issue which caused the mirror rotation puzzle during 'Mourning's End Part II' to be rendered as a black screen on mobile.
- Changed the notifications of the mobile chat.
- The Prismatic Dye Colours wheel can now be used correctly.
You love to see 'em! ...right?
- Fixed a minor typo in Velucia's dialogue during the Archaeology tutorial.
We like to think we know what you want, and this week that's ladder improvements. Cast your eyes on some truly astounding tweaks and fixes to the various ladders of Gielinor.
- The correct animation will now play while climbing a ladder in Citharede Abbey.
- You can no longer go up ladders sideways on the Lunar Isle or in Seers' Village.
- The ladder climbing animation in the port next to Lunar Isle has been corrected.
- Fixed an issue with the climbing animation on a ladder in Burthorpe.
- Character now behaves correctly when going up and down the ladder in Draynor Manor. A little decorum, please!
- Fixed an issue with the ladder climbing animation in an abandoned house in Varrock.
- An issue with ladders in Melzar's Maze has been fixed.
No more ladder fixes here, but plenty of other great finds!
- Engine-based improvements have been made to the Mac client to improve stability.
- An issue that was causing a stalled Special Attack to trigger an attack from the Essence of Finality without meeting the requirements has been fixed.
- The spell 'Fire Urns' has been unpluralized to be consistent with other Lunar Spells.
- It's no longer possible to walk through the walls by Vindicta in the Heart of Gielinor.
- Santa Claus' chat-head transparency has been adjusted and fixed.
- The silver buckle on the left loafer is no longer broken.
- You are now unable to walk through the rocks near the liverwort in Anachronia.
- Parcel Pete's hat no longer appears to be blue when the Graphics Settings are set to minimum.
- The Grotesque Armour no longer stretches in combat when equipped with a Purified Two-Handed Crossbow.
- The sword icon on the Sacred Clay Shield (melee) no longer appears to hover.
- The lantern in the Port Sarim jewellery store has been moved away from the window.
- The emblem on the Black Plateskirt (h5) now appears correctly when worn.
- The Ourania Cave no longer contains flashing lava tiles and holes in the world.
- Players can no longer walk through the closed doors of certain houses in Nardah.
- The midsection of the Colosseum Jacket no longer clips with the circle.
- Bloodtusk Armor has been corrected to make the neck visible.
- Player titles now display in full on the Hero Interface Summary Tab.
- Fixed an issue with force walk tiles in Troll Country.
- The Freecam option has been removed when right-clicking on the Map icon while Dungeoneering. It is still available when right-clicking the Compass.
- You can no longer skip the Nemi Forest loading area using the Surge ability.
- Magic Notepaper now works on bananas and the Spirit Shield.
- The Dwarf Multicannon now fires when set up inside Rogues' Castle.
- Using the special attacks of the Staff of Darkness and the Staff of Light now causes the buff/debuff icons to appear on the Buff Bar.
- Fire and Water Lycan pets will now remember their names and growth stages.
- There was a hole in the floor of west Prifddinas. It's gone now.
- Added collisions to the bushes in the Gnome Maze.
- Major Mary Rancour's chatbox head now looks less distorted.
- The textures of the stone pillars at Oo'glog have been fixed.
- Kangali's model is no longer barely visible in the chatbox.
- Fixed an issue where players were unable to claim the reward for the Jack of Trades aura after activating and deactivating either the Maniacal, Reckless, or Berserker auras.
- Jadinkos no longer get stuck in the vines of overgrown idols.
- Fixed an issue where the Get Stuffed Achievement was obtainable by eating a bouldabass and an edicap potato while still in the boss room after the boss was defeated.
- The Castaways of the Arc Achievement will now properly display a pop-up and a change in RuneScore.
- Fixed an issue with the congratulatory message that appears after completing certain skill milestones.
- You are now unable to cast the 'Heal Other' spell on characters that take lethal damage.
- Entering the Motto Editor in Clan Settings and leaving with the 'Esc' key no longer disables the option to open chat with the 'Enter' key.
We're crossover central in the Community Tab this week, with artworks featuring your pop culture heroes with a RuneScapey twist. Plus, don't forget to check out the livestream schedule and this week's featured Pink Skirts event!
Tuesday October 6th | 16:00 Game Time | Digging into the Orthen Dig Site
Join our Top Men as they investigate the newest archaeological dig site, Orthen. Pay close attention and you might even learn the release date!
Wednesday October 7th | 16:00 Game Time | Blue Moon Pub Quiz
This month's quiz will leave you shaken and stirred as you compete to answer Mod JD's trickiest questions and walk away with a prize!
Our Featured Streamer this week is Wazzy, who'll be taking on high level bosses as an undergeared Ironman. Scary! There'll also be a few community events sprinkled in, such as 'The Great Gielinor Run'.
To grab yourself a slice of the action tune into Wazzy's Twitch channel at 13:00 Game Time on Friday October 9th.
Marvel / RuneScape: Captain Asgarnia
Artists, assemble! We love this marvelous crossover from RsMarkOne, and we've got a hankering to see more!
Among Us / RuneScape
Hm, we're not sure about this Among Us crossover from Prezleek though. This guy just seems pretty sus. Did anyone else see him vent in the medbay?
Just kidding – we think this crossover is totally fantastic!
The Pre-First Age of RuneScape (A Short Film)
Alright, let's head back to the world we know with this short film by TheBookOfRS, which talks all about what RuneScape was like long, long ago…
We love our lorehounds, and we can tell that a lot of effort went into this production. Great job!
RuneScape Playing Cards
Merds has really outdone himself with this gorgeous set of RS themed playing cards, featuring Saradomin as the king! Not that we'd let our poker face slip, but we're super excited to see the full deck.
Join Our Discord Server!
This week's featured Discord server is… ours! The official RuneScape Discord is the place to be, whether you want to meet fellow 'scapers, mingle with the J-Mods, or simply share your adventure.
Join all the fun here: https://discord.gg/rs
Pink Skirts Event
We hope you're feeling crafty ahead of this week's Pink Skirts event, because they're inviting you to join them for a game of Stealing Creation!
To get in on the fun, join Somer Angel & Fast Sc in the Gamers' Grotto on World 99 at 19:00 Game Time on October 10th.
For more information, add Fast Sc Fc to your Friends' Chat or check out the Pink Skirts' page here.
- The RuneScape Team