We like to keep you on your toes, so we've brought Double XP Weekend forward this year! Gosh and, indeed, golly. And what better reason to gorge on some gains than Master Skillcape Perks and a rework to 99 perks!
The delayed Dragonkin Laboratory will come this month, and there are side orders on August's menu that include more Summer Weekends, The Beach, Twitch Prime rewards and a new event called Rune Capers.
Double XP Weekend – 31st Aug to 3rd Sep
Let's cut to the chase: Double XP Weekend is coming on the 31st of August to the 3rd September. There are no frills this time, just straight up, delicious XP from mid-day Friday to mid-day Monday. Start hoarding those resources, and we'll see you at the summoning obelisks.
Master Skillcape Perks & Perk Reworks
There's a good reason to level up, too. Before the Double XP Weekend, we'll be releasing master skillcape perks for Invention, Dungeoneering and Slayer at level 120, and also perks for the Master Quest Cape:
- Invention - Gives an increased chance of receiving uncommon and rare components when disassembling
- Dungeoneering - A chance to choose which boss you face; increased chance of lore drops inside Daemonheim and Elite Dungeons; and the ability to wear your cape inside Daemonheim
- Slayer - Gives a chance to choose your task from a Slayer master each time you receive a new one
- Master Quest Cape - Brings a range of lore-related teleports into a single item, allowing you to teleport to the Legends' Guild, the World Gate, Varrock Museum, the Empty Throne Room and several more
We've also taken the opportunity to improve existing 99 skillcape perks, based on your feedback. Thank you to everyone who got involved and shared their ideas:
- Agility - No longer fail any agility obstacles (this has been rolled out to work on every obstacle in game)
- Constitution - Retains the current effect, but the healing now continues to work in combat
- Construction - Has a chance to save planks when building in your player-owned house
- Crafting - Provides a chance to cut all gems in your inventory at once and provides unlimited thread
- Divination - Wisps will now last a fixed amount of time when first harvested
- Firemaking - Fire spirits give better rewards and will act as a light source
- Fletching - Provides a chance to make extra bolts, arrows and darts
- Hunter - Increases the effective range of your traps by 2 tiles
- Prayer - Retains the current effect, but acts like a First-Age Cape if owned
- Thieving - All drops are noted, and stacks with Ardougne Cape if owned
Oh, and we've done some fixes to perks, including the ability to activate them directly from the Max Cape while worn, and the ability to have two perks on expert capes of accomplishment.
Elite Dungeon: Dragonkin Laboratory - 13th August
Although planned for July, the team asked for more time to get the polish right, so expect this awesome dungeon on the 13th of August!
If you've missed our previous rundowns of the Dragonkin Lab, then it can be summarised as such: a gauntlet of dragons, punctuated with boss battles against Astellarn, the first celestial dragon, a new three-headed black dragon, and a secret third boss. There's also a story mode that makes the dungeon accessible to - pretty much - everyone. Rewards have been added to since they were last listed, so you can expect three new mutated combat abilities, new and upgraded tectonic items ,enhancers of Shifting Tombs and Slayer, and much, much more.
Read more about what you can expect from Dragonkin Laboratory here.
If you thought Double XP Weekend was early this year, then Summer Weekends asks you to hold its drink. These are the Winter Weekends that traditionally run over the Christmas period, brought forward to August!
There are three Summer Weekends for you to enjoy in August, as well as a Ports month-long 'weekend':
- 4th - 5th August - Clue Scrolls
- 1 free reroll for clue rewards per day
- Improved chance of getting clue scrolls from drops and pickpocketing
- Gilly Willikers will give you a free clue scrolls per day (starting at noon)
- And more!
- 11th - 12th August - Combat!
- Charm drops give one more charm than usual
- 50% increased slayer experience
- Increased chance of rare drops and enhanced ring of wealth
- And more!
- 18th - 19th August - Minigames
- +1 Castle Wars gold ticket per game, regardless of win, lose or draw
- Double bonus XP and gambling rewards from Barb Assault
- +50% produce points at Livid Farm (stacks with boosters)
- And more!
- Throughout August - Ports
- 25 voyages per day, rather than 15
- All ports voyages return 30% extra resources or trade goods
- Ability to get The Barmaid's special voyage on Saturdays and Sundays as well as Thursdays
The Beach and Rune Capers
Let's go on a brisk trot through some noteworthy updates from the Live Events team.
No doubt you will already be knee-deep in the Beach, which runs throughout August. If you're not up to the kneecaps, then know that there are new rewards and a face-in-the-hole location.
Then there's the Rune Capers event, similar to Agents of Fury and Deathbeard's Demise, which gives you the opportunity to really show off your expertise! Through skilling or combat, you gain progress towards unlocking the Cloak of Might or Cloak of Talents. Manage to gain both, and you’ll unlock the even cloakier Cloak of Proficiency.
If you have Twitch Prime or are thinking about getting it, then make sure to grab some awesome (and free) RuneScape swag between 26th July and 19th September by clicking here. The aforementioned swag includes:
- 1 month’s free membership
- Exclusive Umbral set
- Umbral crassian pet
- Umbral flame blade
- Umbral armour
- Other goodies
- Early Access to the OSRS Purple Skin
You’ll get to enjoy all that’s planned for the next month (including Double XP Weekend!) with the month’s free membership, and existing RuneScape members should note that the free month stacks on top of their existing membership.
Click the link here for more details.
To welcome the new players from Twitch Prime, we've made a trailer that showcases the adventures of Darren, who you might recognise from Safecracking and Elite Dungeon artwork. You can watch the new trailer here.
And a word from September...
We wanted to sign off with a quick nod towards a big update coming in September - the 3rd of September, in fact - called the Player-owned Farm. If you're an animal-rearing enthusiast, then you are in for a treat.
And once that's out, then there's not much time before Runefest on October 6th and 7th. Get your tickets in, and set your alarms for the livestreams, as we've been saving our announcements for this belter of a weekend!
All the best, and see you at Double XP Weekend!
The RuneScape team