An unholy symbol is a silver symbol blessed to imbue it with the unholy power of Zamorak. Players can only smelt and string the symbol after completing Observatory Quest and speaking to the Spirit of Scorpius, but it is not required to bless the symbol with a Book of Chaos or Book of balance, or to buy it from another player and wear it. Unlocking the ability to craft unholy symbols is a requirement of the master quest cape.
Players can make unholy symbols by using the Crafting skill. First, a player must use a silver bar with a furnace while they have an unholy mould in their inventory or tool belt, and must have one free inventory space. This will give the player an unstrung emblem and they will receive 50 Crafting experience. Next, the player must string the symbol with a ball of wool, giving the player 4 Crafting experience and making the item into an unpowered symbol. Finally, the symbol must be blessed by the Spirit of Scorpius at the Grave of Scorpius, north of the Observatory, or by using a Book of Chaos or Book of balance with it. To bless the symbol using one of the books, a player must have a Prayer level of 50 or higher, and blessing the symbol makes the player expend
(current prayer points / 10) + 2 Prayer points. Once blessed, the unpowered symbol becomes simply an unholy symbol and provides the bonuses below.
- ^ All unpowered symbols in inventory are instantly blessed
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 8 September 2014 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to stall damage by enchanting unblessed holy/unholy symbols or lighting celebration candles.
- patch 25 February 2009 (Update):
- Scorpius will now bless any unholy symbols you have in one go and Brother Jered will do the same for holy symbols.
- If players wear an unholy symbol while in the waiting room of Saradomin in Castle Wars, they will be transformed into a rabbit. If players enter the Guthix portal wearing an unholy symbol, they will turn into sheep until the start of the next game.
- When the item was first released, it was not tradeable.
- Before an update it used to be made from gold instead of silver. Again, after a hidden update, the symbol's colour was changed to silver. After yet another update, they are currently made from silver, but the symbol is gold in colour with an unknown grey piece accompanying it.
- If players wear an unholy symbol in the God Wars Dungeon it will count as Zamorak equipment and faction monsters will no longer be aggressive to them.