Underground Pass (dungeon)
|Release date||3 March 2003 (Update)|
|Main music||Cursed, Iban|
|Connected quests||Underground Pass, Regicide|
|Infobox • Talk page|
In the early years the Underground Pass was a trading route used by the Elves. Later, when Prifddinas came under control of the evil elves, Iban, the self-proclaimed son of Zamorak, took control of the Pass. The Pass was known to corrupt anyone who entered. Although it was believed that this was due to Iban, the player finds out in Plague's End that the Dark Lord, a part of Seren trapped in the Temple of Light, was actually the responsibly entity. During the Underground Pass quest, the adventurer is tasked with killing Iban. After that, the Pass becomes property of King Lathas from East Ardougne.
Since Iban studied under Lord Daquarius prior to taking over the Underground Pass, and Daquarius is only in his thirties at the time the game takes place (year 169), Iban himself is likely even younger; this would mean that his takeover of the Underground Pass was a relatively recent event.
Getting through the Underground Pass[edit | edit source]
The following only contains information on how to get through the pass after the quest is done.
The player will not be able to enter Iban's Temple and the Elven lands until the player has spoken to King Lathas at the start of Regicide. The player's quest journal will mention about assassinating his brother if they have talked to him. For using the pass, it is recommended to have a high agility level. A Thieving level of 50 is another advantage.
These items are needed:
- Rope (it is a good idea to bring a few spares if the player's Agility level is low)
- Any bow that does not provide its own ammo (not the Crystal Bow, Zaryte bow, Seren godbow, Quickbow, Boogie Bow or Gravite chargebow)
- A few arrows of any metal. (note: broad, dark, ogre, araxyte and god arrows will not work for this)
- It is also a good idea to have some food, just in case.
- Spade (tool belt will work)
These steps are to be followed to cross the pass:
- Enter the pass through the cave entrance at West Ardougne. Do not attempt to cross the swamp bubbles in the cave - instead, simply walk around them.
- Talk to Koftik, and he will give you a damp cloth. Use it on an arrow to change it to a fire arrow. Use this arrow on the fire, and go to the little chamber north. (It is possible to miss, so taking more arrows may be a good idea).
- From here, you can fire the arrow at the guide rope, and you will automatically cross the bridge.
- Now, go to the little chamber to the north and pick up a plank.
- It is possible to fail this part and lose your rope, so bringing multiple ropes is a good precaution. Continue going south, then east, and use a rope on an old spike on the ground on your side next to the north gap. (Note: It is possible to fail the obstacle and fall. In this case, you'll have to navigate a rock maze to get out. You will end up at the beginning of the pass, and you'll have to start at step 2 again)
- Continue following the path through two rockslide obstacles. You will come to a grid of spike traps. For each person the path to cross these is different, so it is suggested that once you find your path, you write it down somewhere - you could already have figured out which path is safe for you while doing the Underground Pass (quick) quest. The area prevents you from using abilities like Surge.
- Once past the spike traps, pull the lever and the portcullis will rise. Do not take the obstacle pipe because it's only one-way and you will have to redo step 5.
- Continue going west, and as you run past the wall traps, you might take some damage. If you have a good thieving level you can try to disable them by searching the odd markings on the wall. Be careful here, as you may take multiple triple-digit damage per trap if you try to run past without disabling them! Area prevents you from using abilities like Surge so it is best to disarm the traps.
- Next, climb down the well and head west towards the cages. Enter the south-east cage and dig up the heap of mud. This will take you to the back of the cage. Follow the path and click on 'Cross Ledge' (if you fail, you reach back to the cell area).
- In the next area you have a couple choices. You may either picklock the door by following the southward path (if you have 50 thieving - Once past the door, make sure you don't step on the bubbles, or you'll have to start back at the beginning. - or you may cross the bridges (the higher your agility level, the less your chance of failing it).
- Whichever path you took, follow the path to the south and go through the obstacle pipe. Go past the unicorn cage and pass through a tunnel on the north side of the cave.
- Follow the cave until you pass the zombies and see paladins. Use the earlier found plank on either one of the "flat rock" traps to get past.
- Continue forward, and you will be standing in front of a door which leads to a huge cavern with a set of bridges. Using the map on this article page is recommended to reach the Well of Voyage. You will need to cross the bridges to reach Iban's temple in the middle of this large area. (If you fail to cross a bridge, you will fall to the level below and be dealt a considerable amount of damage. It is possible to climb back up to the area using some stairs at the south or northwest of the room.
- In Iban's temple, you can talk to Koftik and he will give you a stew and two pieces of bread to heal you (only once). Enter the Well of Voyage (where Iban's chamber is), follow a short passageway, and you can enter the Elven lands! An altar, and small obelisk are just west of the well to recharge prayer and summoning.
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Blessed giant rat, level 24
Blessed spider, level 60
Disciple of Iban, 64
Doomion, level 112
Giant Bat, level 64
Goblin, level 8 and 16
Holthion, level 112
Kalrag, level 116
Ogre, level 96
Othainian, level 112
Rat, level 2
Sir Carl, level 116
Sir Harry, level 116
Sir Jerro, level 116
Soulless, level 66
Skeleton, level 15 and 32
Zombie, level 18 and 42
Wizard, level 26 (After starting Regicide, inside Iban's temple room)
Personalities[edit | edit source]
Quests[edit | edit source]
Music[edit | edit source]
- Iban - Main area of the Underground Pass.
- Moody - Near the entrance of underground pass in West Ardougne.
- Cursed - A few spaces near the entrance of Underground Pass.
- Underground Pass - If (when) you fall into the grid trap.
- Well of Voyage - At the room with the Well of Voyage.
- The Cellar Dwellers - When entering the Underground Pass.
- Expecting - If you fall through the swamp.
- Intrepid - In part of the Underground Pass.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 13 March 2017 (Update):
- ninja 31 October 2016 (Update):
- Surge (and similar) can no longer be used to get around the trapped floor pit puzzle in the Underground Pass.
- Success chances on traps & obstacles in the Underground Pass have been increased.
- patch 18 July 2016 (Update):
- The examine on the doors to the dwarven houses in the Underground Pass has been fixed.
- patch 5 January 2015 (Update):
- A patch of blocking that was missing in the Underground Pass has been added.
- patch 8 December 2014 (Update):
- Some minor clipping issues in Underground Pass have been corrected.
- Prevented players from being able to walk around certain swampy sections of Underground Pass.
- patch 16 January 2012 (Update):
- Some flickering on the ground in the Underground Pass dungeon has been fixed.
- patch 28 July 2009 (Update):
- Slightly modified a rockslide in the Underground Pass so you can't get stuck.
|Part 3 of the Elf quest series|
|Part 4 of the Elf quest series|
- ^ Dark Lord, "Plague's End", RuneScape. "I found solace beneath the mountains, in the Death Altar - and then I was trapped by the Temple of Light. I wanted to reach out to my followers, to see them live and die, to be part of the tools and weapons that they sang. I spoke to the minds of those who walked the Underground Pass. I shared my fascination with death with them. I asked them only to provide new, more interesting deaths for me to observe."