|Release||4 October 2005 (Update)|
|High alch||1,080,000 coins|
|Low alch||720,000 coins|
|Exchange||1,632,682 coins (info)|
|An uncut onyx. Used in Crafting (72).|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
An uncut onyx is the second rarest gem in RuneScape, after the hydrix, with a shiny black lustre. It is used in the Crafting skill to make jewellery. An uncut onyx requires 72 Crafting to cut into an onyx, granting 167.5 experience.
Creation[edit | edit source]
Jewellery[edit | edit source]
|Unenchanted||Enchanted||Level to craft|
|Onyx ring||Ring of fortune||72|
|Onyx necklace||Berserker necklace||82|
|Onyx bracelet||Regen bracelet||84|
|Onyx amulet||Amulet of fury||90|
Cost of cutting onyx[edit | edit source]
|Uncut onyx||Onyx||Onyx bolt tips (24)|
- The profit or loss for fletching bolts assumes starting with an uncut gem.
Price history[edit | edit source]
For some time after the release of uncut onyx gems, it was possible to sell certain items, namely runes and some obsidian equipment, to TzHaar-Hur-Lek's Ore and Gem Store in exchange for tokkul; the gems themselves cost 300,000 tokkul from the store. The price of an uncut onyx was therefore tied to the prices of items used to obtain it, such as chaos runes and death runes (of which it took 33,333 and 16,666, respectively, to earn the required tokkul for an uncut onyx). Uncut onyx gems cost a few million coins each during this time, accounting for price fluctuations. This amount decreased over time as tokkul became easier to obtain, as well as with the release of Karamja gloves, which decreased the price of an uncut onyx to 270,000 tokkul.
The Personalised Shops update on 2 September 2009 resulted in sweeping changes to tokkul. Before the update, a fire rune worth 9 coins would sell to the store for 1 tokkul. The update removed the price floor on fire runes, allowing them to decrease in price to 5-8 coins each; in addition, the price the TzHaar rune shop would pay for fire runes was raised to 5 tokkul each. These changes would have resulted in a massive devaluation of tokkul and a crash in the price of uncut onyx gems.
To try to compensate for the devaluing of the tokkul currency, Jagex raised the price of an uncut onyx in the TzHaar shops to 2,700,000 tokkul. However, many players found that the onyx was more difficult to obtain than before. Selling obsidian weapons or armour was no longer cost-effective in obtaining tokkul, leaving fire runes as the primary method to obtain an onyx. It took about 3 hours to sell the 540,000 fire runes needed to obtain an onyx gem post-update, and these runes cost 3,780,000 coins at 8 coins per fire rune.
The release of the Fight Kiln on 14 February 2012, which offers an uncut onyx as a choice of reward when completed, and Kal'gerion demons on 27 May 2014, which drop uncut onyx, resulted in a crash in price of onyx and most onyx-related products.
Prices continued to slowly decline over the next few years. There was a short period of price increase with the release of hydrix jewellery, which required an cut onyx in order to create a hydrix, on 18 August 2014 but just a few weeks later prices had reduced down to high alchemy values where they plateaued. However, the price subsequently rose again with several patch note updates which allowed onyxes to recharge hydrix jewellery.
Following the Mining and Smithing rework on 7 January 2019, due to an oversight, an increased availability of uncut onyx from Prifddinas gem rocks caused the onyx prices to crash to almost high alchemy value. A hotfix update on 11 March removed the ability to receive gems from these rocks, causing to prices to slowly increase.
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
In addition to the monsters listed below, uncut onyxes can also be obtained through the following:
- Found in an oyster in the aquarium of a player-owned house
- A potential reward in the Challenge Mystery Bag (based on the "value" of items needed to complete the challenge)
Store locations[edit | edit source]
|TzHaar-Hur-Lek's Ore and Gem Store||TzHaar City||2,700,000||Tokkul||1|
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||26.3%|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 14 October 2019 (Update):
- When using uncut onyx on Gemstone Armour, the correct amount that is used with be displayed in the resulting message.
- hotfix 18 March 2019 (Update):
- Uncut Onyxes are no longer obtainable from mining Prifddinas Gem Rocks.
- patch 18 April 2017 (Update):
- The uncut onyx and onyx ring skill guide entries are now consistent with their actual requirements.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When the TzHaar area was first released, the store price for an uncut onyx was 300,000 Tokkul.
- Onyx jewellery looks significantly different from jewellery made from other gems.
- The Corporeal Beast once dropped the uncut onyx, but this was later removed from its drop table and replaced with the regen bracelet.
- Onyxes and hydrixes are the only gems to have a decreased alchemy value when cut.
References[edit | edit source]
|Quests and Tasks|