|Release date||24 September 2002 (Update)|
|Main music||Newbie Melody|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Tutorial Island is an island where new players to RuneScape arrive. It serves as the tutorial for the game for those who select the "New" or "Returner" option during character creation. It is not possible to return to the island after completing the tutorial until the sunken version after Beneath Cursed Tides.
History[edit | edit source]
Tutorial Island was released in the update of 24 September 2002,. All new players had to navigate through the various tutorials on the island before being transported to Lumbridge. Tutorial Island was added to the world map on 4 March 2003.
After an update in July 2008, a new tutorial was added to the game, Learning the Ropes, and players were no longer able to access Tutorial Island. Later on, while a new tutorial was being developed, Tutorial Island was reintroduced temporarily for about a year. Tutorial Island was made inaccessible upon the release of that tutorial, and remained inaccessible when another tutorial replaced that tutorial.
Even though Tutorial Island was inaccessible, it remained part of the world map. On 28th November 2012, it was removed from the map to make space for a revamped Wizards' Tower. During the Beneath Cursed Tides quest, released on 14 December 2015, players visit an underwater version of the island. It is revealed that the island was a former school for adventurers which has since been placed under a terrible curse, which the adventurer helps to counter successfully.
Tutorial[edit | edit source]
Before starting the tutorial, players must create a new character. They are able to customise their hairstyle, beard and clothing. Players are then asked if they are a new, returning, or recent player of the game. Selecting any of the first two options will transport the player to Tutorial Island.
An interface at the top left of the screen indicates what stage of the tutorial the player is on, and their total progress through it. First, players should speak to the RuneScape guide by left-clicking him. He explains basic mechanics of the game, including how to move the player character and the camera. Next, players are told to speak to the survival expert. She teaches players the basics about Woodcutting, Firemaking, Fishing and Cooking.
After speaking to the survival expert, players should head through the gate to the west by clicking on it. Then, they should follow the path to the master chef, who teaches them more about Cooking, including how to make bread. Players should then continue out of the door and down the path to the quest guide, who will explain a little about quests and direct the player to go down the ladder to the mine underneath the island.
In the mine, players come across the mining instructor who teaches them about Mining and Smithing. The player is required to smelt a bronze bar, and then smith it into a bronze dagger. After, they proceed through the gate to the east and speak to the combat instructor, who teaches them how to kill a rat. Finally, they should head back up to the island using the ladder on the northern part of the cave.
Continuing down the path to the south, players meet the financial advisor inside the only bank on the island. He explains how to access the bank and the basic ways of making money in RuneScape. Afterwards, he directs players to the nearby church to speak to the prayer instructor, who tells the player about Prayer and the Friends and Ignore lists. Finally, players should continue out of the door and down the path to the magic instructor, who explains about Magic and the Lodestone Network.
Music[edit | edit source]
The following music tracks are used on Tutorial Island:
Note: If a player had started playing before sounds were added in RuneScape 2, "Newbie Melody" is automatically unlocked.
- Ground Scape
- Harmony (Lumbridge)
- Newbie Melody
- Scape Cave
- Scape Hunter
- Scape Main
- Scape Original
- Scape Santa
- Scape Scared
- Scape Summon
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The Quest Guide teaches the basics about quests and how to find them.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 11 February 2019 (Update):
- Smithing a bronze dagger on Tutorial Island has been updated to account for bronze bars now requiring 2 tin and 2 copper ore, and a bronze dagger requiring 2 bronze bars.
- patch 14 May 2018 (Update):
- New players will now go to Tutorial Island by default instead of Ashdale if they select the New or Returner option at character creation. New players that elect to skip the Tutorial will still go to Burthorpe.
- patch 3 April 2018 (Update):
- Setting fires on Tutorial Island is now prevented by adjacent blocking.
- Some blocking tiles have been removed from the survival skills area of Tutorial Island.
- The mining tutor on Tutorial Island now checks your worn equipment for the bronze dagger you smith for him, in case you equip it before the worn equipment interface becomes available.
- patch 12 May 2009 (Update):
- Players shouldn’t be transparent, so light no longer travels through them when in the smelting part of the tutorial.
- patch 25 February 2009 (Update):
- The cooking animation used during the tutorial has been improved.
- A missing apostrophe has been found and added back to the Cooking Tutor's chat.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Originally, if players went to the edges of the map (the very north, east, south, and west parts of the island), they would see that Tutorial Island is surrounded by a giant Unknown space.
- There was a Wilderness Guide NPC on Tutorial Island before RuneScape 2. His purpose was to warn players about player-killing in the Wilderness.
- The Magic Instructor used to teleport the player to Lumbridge. Before this, new players would be taken on a boat.
- There used to be a glitch on Tutorial Island. You could die by being attacked by a giant rat while firemaking. If you died on Tutorial Island, you would arrive on Lumbridge with all the items a newcomer would have.
- It was possible to have an account on Tutorial Island after it was removed, as long as the account was made before the update.
- Following the release of RuneScape 2 new players used to appear on the Tutorial Island located south of the Wizards' Tower, however Jagex later made the version used in the tutorial an instance.
- Bunny ears were dropped on Tutorial Island during the easter event.
- Before it was removed from the main map, if you stood near the water at the very edge behind the Wizards' Tower and used the Orb of Oculus, it was possible to see a small part of the island.
- Previously, if standing at the south western most point of the Lumbridge Swamp, you would be able to see most of the bank on Tutorial Island. This is no longer possible as the island is not part of the main world.
- On 28 August 2012 along with Big Chinchompa Minigame, on the un-updated Evolution of Combat Beta Server, if you logged out in this new area and logged back into the beta, it was possible to no clip to Tutorial Island through a huge hole in the house of the Quest guide. This made it possible to re-do the whole tutorial, although, the NPCs only talked to you if you did the original tutorial back in 2007. This glitch was patched by Jagex making the Drunken Dwarf appear when players attempted to walk over to the Island. The dwarf would say "Oy mate, you shouldn't be here!" and throw a beer at players, causing them to collapse and appear at Lumbridge.
- After the Wizards' Tower update along with the Rune Mysteries and Rune Memories quests, the Wizards' Tower was expanded. Due to this, if a player went south of the Wizards' Tower and attempted to teleport, they would receive a message stating that they cannot teleport away from tutorial island. This was patched 3 weeks later.
- You can chop trees before talking to the Survival expert. After chopping several logs, the message "You've chopped enough logs for now." appears, but does not stop you from doing so. She will stop you if you attempt to fish, telling that you must learn how to cook them first; however, you can make a fire without talking to her, which then lets you fish and cook the raw shrimps. If you talk to the Survival expert later, the dialogue where she teaches those skills are skipped. It is not possible to use bonfires (the fires have no "use" option, using logs on the fire results in being told you can't cook it, and the "craft" option on logs is blocked). The fires cannot be walked over and produce no ashes. If you burn more than a few logs, you receive the message "You've burned enough logs for now." followed by "Some people just want to watch the world burn.", a reference to the 2018 film The Dark Knight.
- After reaching level 3 in some skills on the island, experience is no longer given.
- The tutorial presents bread as a superior food to shrimp. Bread used to heal 5 hitpoints (50 life points) and shrimp 3 hitpoints (30 life points), but they now both heal 200 life points after the Evolution of Combat.
References[edit | edit source]