|Release||24 September 2002 (Update)|
|doc • Talk page|
Tutorial Island is an island where new players to RuneScape arrive. It serves as the tutorial for the game for those who select the "New" or "Returner" option during character creation. It is not possible to return to the island after completing the tutorial until the sunken version after Beneath Cursed Tides. During this quest we see how the island has changed by being submerged in water
History[edit | edit source]
Tutorial Island was released in the update of 24 September 2002. All new players had to navigate through the various tutorials on the island before being transported to Lumbridge. Tutorial Island was added to the world map on 4 March 2003.
After an update in July 2008, a new tutorial was added to the game, Learning the Ropes, and players were no longer able to access Tutorial Island. Later on, while a new tutorial was being developed, Tutorial Island was reintroduced temporarily for about a year. Tutorial Island was made inaccessible upon the release of that tutorial, and remained inaccessible when another tutorial replaced that tutorial.
Even though Tutorial Island was inaccessible, it remained part of the world map. On 28th November 2012, it was removed from the map to make space for a revamped Wizards' Tower. During the Beneath Cursed Tides quest, released on 14 December 2015, players visit an underwater version of the island. It is revealed that the island was a former school for adventurers which has since been placed under a terrible curse, which the adventurer helps to counter successfully.
Tutorial[edit | edit source]
Before starting the tutorial, players must create a new character. They are able to customise their hairstyle, beard and clothing. Players are then asked if they are a new, returning, or recent player of the game. Selecting any of the first two options will transport the player to Tutorial Island.
An interface at the top left of the screen indicates what stage of the tutorial the player is on, and their total progress through it. First, players should speak to Reginald by left-clicking him. He explains basic mechanics of the game, including how to move the player character and the camera. Next, players are told to speak to the survival expert. She teaches players the basics about Woodcutting, Firemaking, Fishing and Cooking.
After speaking to the survival expert, players should head through the gate to the west by clicking on it. Then, they should follow the path to the master chef, who teaches them more about Cooking, including how to make bread. Players should then continue out of the door and down the path to the quest guide, who will explain a little about quests and direct the player to go down the ladder to the mine underneath the island.
In the mine, players come across the mining instructor who teaches them about Mining and Smithing. The player is required to smelt a bronze bar, and then smith it into a bronze dagger. After, they proceed through the gate to the east and speak to the combat instructor, who teaches them how to kill a rat. Finally, they should head back up to the island using the ladder on the northern part of the cave.
Continuing down the path to the south, players meet the financial advisor inside the only bank on the island. He explains how to access the bank and the basic ways of making money in RuneScape. Afterwards, he directs players to the nearby church to speak to the prayer instructor, who tells the player about Prayer and the Friends and Ignore lists. Finally, players should continue out of the door and down the path to the magic instructor, who explains about Magic and the Lodestone Network.
The player must then teleport to the mainland through the Lodestone Network. The lodestone for Burthorpe will be unlocked automatically when completing the tutorial.
Music[edit | edit source]
The following music tracks are used on Tutorial Island:
Note: If a player had started playing before sounds were added in RuneScape 2, "Newbie Melody" is automatically unlocked.
- Ground Scape
- Harmony (Lumbridge)
- Newbie Melody
- Scape Cave
- Scape Hunter
- Scape Main
- Scape Original
- Scape Santa
- Scape Scared
- Scape Summon
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The Quest Guide teaches the basics about quests and how to find them.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 9 August 2021 (Update):
- Your Path will no longer clear upon teleporting to Tutorial Island.
- Should you lose your weapon following the Tutorial Island or Davendale tutorials, you will now be able to claim it back from Turael.
- patch 5 July 2021 (Update):
- The trading tutorial will no longer get stuck when attempting to buy items with a full Backpack.
- patch 10 May 2021 (Update):
- The Underwater Disguise Kit animation will no longer be present outside of Tutorial Island.
- patch 15 February 2021 (Update):
- Your Backpack will no longer be brought to the front during the Mining and Smithing sequence on Tutorial Island.
- patch 25 January 2021 (Update):
- patch 11 January 2021 (Update):
- Players who have not fully completed Tutorial Island can now receive their Prime Gaming rewards on log in.
- patch 16 November 2020 (Update):
- Fixed a grammatical error in the messaging during Tutorial Island's Smithing section.
- patch 9 November 2020 (Update):
- The Chat window is now cleared of preliminary log-in messages when arriving in the main game from Tutorial Island.
- The mobile toplevel UI is now gradually revealed as the player makes progress on Tutorial Island. Mysterious!
- The text in the Minimap tutorial is now less ambiguous.
- A pair of obstructive chairs have been removed from the starting area on Tutorial Island.
- An overlay which cycles between the Core Camera and Interaction controls has been added to Tutorial Island, replacing the preliminary Camera pop-up which could be dismissed permanently.
- As they were too frequent before, 'Achievement Complete' pop-ups no longer occur for Path Achievements. Completing an entire path (with the exception of the Tutorial Island Path) will still trigger the completion pop-up.
- The RuneScape Guide has been re-named Reginald, to make it clear who you're supposed to speak to.
- Likewise, the Survival expert is now named Brynna.
- Both of the above will now wave to attract your attention.
- Interacting with the door near the RuneScape Guide no longer forcewalks you into conversation but will still remind you of your objective.
- Interacting with the tree near the Survival expert will do the same.
- The initial camera zoom when starting Tutorial Island is now zoomed out further.
- Input terminology on Tutorial Island has been updated to comply with mobile gesture compliance guidelines.
- Activity Tracker instructions during the Survival Expert section of Tutorial Island are now clearer.
- The Activity Tracker parent tab is now locked while on Tutorial Island.
- Woodcutting and Fishing on Tutorial Island will now immediately display an overhead message to notify the user, instead of a delayed objbox.
- patch 18 August 2020 (Update):
- patch 10 August 2020 (Update):
- Added a missing texture to a roof tile on the Master Chef's house on Tutorial Island.
- patch 13 July 2020 (Update):
- Players who have left Tutorial Island can no longer have the Tutorial Island path active.
- patch 6 July 2020 (Update):
- An A/B test for 50% of self-selected new players has ended. All players that choose "I have never played before" will once again start on Tutorial Island. Note that players can skip the tutorial in the Settings menu or bypass sections of Tutorial Island with chapter exits.
- patch 2 March 2020 (Update):
- patch 23 September 2019 (Update):
- Graphically updated fires made on Tutorial Island to match fire model now created with the Firemaking skill.
- The text highlighting of keywords in NPC chat on Desktop has been changed from gold to dark blue on Tutorial Island, as it's more legible on its lighter parchment background.
- Corrected an issue where interface panels might be unavailable when skipping survival steps on Tutorial Island.
- patch 16 September 2019 (Update):
- Improved performance when advancing states during Tutorial Island.
- patch 11 February 2019 (Update):
- patch 14 May 2018 (Update):
- patch 3 April 2018 (Update):
- Setting fires on Tutorial Island is now prevented by adjacent blocking.
- Some blocking tiles have been removed from the survival skills area of Tutorial Island.
- The mining tutor on Tutorial Island now checks your worn equipment for the bronze dagger you smith for him, in case you equip it before the worn equipment interface becomes available.
- patch 7 March 2016 (Update):
- The fishing platform in the underwater area is now visible in minimum detail.
- patch 21 September 2015 (Update):
- A rare case in which the player could reach the mainland on Tutorial Mode has been fixed. Speaking to Gudrik again should fix this issue if you become stuck.
- patch 22 November 2012 (Update):
- Several changes have been made to streamline the new opening sequence to the game.
- patch 12 May 2009 (Update):
- Players shouldn’t be transparent, so light no longer travels through them when in the smelting part of the tutorial.
- patch 25 February 2009 (Update):
- The cooking animation used during the tutorial has been improved.
- A missing apostrophe has been found and added back to the Cooking Tutor's chat.
- update 14 July 2008 (Update):
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Originally, if players went to the edges of the map (the very north, east, south, and west parts of the island), they would see that Tutorial Island is surrounded by a giant Unknown space.
- There was a Wilderness Guide NPC on Tutorial Island during RuneScape Classic. His purpose was to warn players about player-killing in the Wilderness.
- The Magic Instructor used to teleport the player to Lumbridge. Before this, new players would be taken on a boat.
- There used to be a glitch on Tutorial Island. You could die by being attacked by a giant rat while firemaking. If you died on Tutorial Island, you would arrive on Lumbridge with all the items a newcomer would have.
- It was possible to have an account on Tutorial Island after it was removed, as long as the account was made before the update.
- Following the release of RuneScape 2 new players used to appear on the Tutorial Island located south of the Wizards' Tower, however Jagex later made the version used in the tutorial an instance.
- Bunny ears were dropped on Tutorial Island during the Easter event.
- Before it was removed from the main map, if you stood near the water at the very edge behind the Wizards' Tower and used the Orb of Oculus, it was possible to see a small part of the island.
- Previously, if standing at the south western most point of the Lumbridge Swamp, you would be able to see most of the bank on Tutorial Island. This is no longer possible as the island is not part of the main world.
- On 28 August 2012 along with Big Chinchompa Minigame, on the un-updated Evolution of Combat Beta Server, if you logged out in this new area and logged back into the beta, it was possible to no clip to Tutorial Island through a huge hole in the house of the Quest guide. This made it possible to re-do the whole tutorial, although, the NPCs only talked to you if you did the original tutorial back in 2007. This glitch was patched by Jagex making the Drunken Dwarf appear when players attempted to walk over to the Island. The dwarf would say "Oy mate, you shouldn't be here!" and throw a beer at players, causing them to collapse and appear at Lumbridge.
- After the Wizards' Tower update along with the Rune Mysteries and Rune Memories quests, the Wizards' Tower was expanded. Due to this, if a player went south of the Wizards' Tower and attempted to teleport, they would receive a message stating that they cannot teleport away from tutorial island. This was patched 3 weeks later.
- You can chop trees before talking to the Survival expert. After chopping several logs, the message "You've chopped enough logs for now." appears, but does not stop you from doing so. She will stop you if you attempt to fish, telling that you must learn how to cook them first; however, you can make a fire without talking to her, which then lets you fish and cook the raw shrimps. If you talk to the Survival expert later, the dialogue where she teaches those skills are skipped. It is not possible to use bonfires (the fires have no "use" option, using logs on the fire results in being told you can't cook it, and the "craft" option on logs is blocked). The fires cannot be walked over and produce no ashes. If you burn more than a few logs, you receive the message "You've burned enough logs for now." followed by "Some people just want to watch the world burn.", a reference to the 2008 film The Dark Knight.
- After reaching level 3 in some skills on the island, experience is no longer given. Attack, Strength, Defence, and Constitution are unaffected and can be levelled up further (giant rats only respawn if you leave and reenter the dungeon). At one point Prayer can also be levelled up beyond 3, but the giant rats no longer drop bones. While Fletching is unavailable, you can train Ranged beyond level 3 by smithing bronze knife or bronze throwing axe. The chickens can be killed with Ranged and have normal drops, but the drops cannot be retrieved due to them being in a cage.
- If you were to die fighting the giant rats, you will be healed by 50 life points.
- The tutorial presents bread as a superior food to shrimp. Bread used to heal 5 hitpoints (50 life points) and shrimp 3 hitpoints (30 life points), but they now both heal 200 life points after the Evolution of Combat.
References[edit | edit source]