New players who enter RuneScape have to complete a tutorial, which explains the basics of the game. So far, there have been six versions of the tutorial; the current version actively in use is Tutorial Island. Currently, when a new player creates their account, they are asked whether they have played very recently, have never played before, or have played before but not in a while. If the second or third option is chosen, players will be brought to Tutorial Island, and if the first option is chosen, they will be sent straight to Taverley, skipping the tutorial altogether.
History[edit | edit source]
Tutorial Island[edit | edit source]
The first ever tutorial, Tutorial Island, released 24 September 2002, was the longest of any tutorials. The quest showed the player around the island, teaching them about the basic skills and interfaces along the way. The Tutorial Island landmass remained on Gielinor long after the removal of the tutorial.
Although it was believed to be used for new content in the future, it was eventually removed from the game world with the Wizards' Tower update during November 2012. However the island is now accessible again by starting the quest, Beneath Cursed Tides.
On 23 March 2018, in a hidden update, a graphically touched up and slightly tweaked tutorial island that does not appear on the world map started being used for some new players. As of 14 May 2018, the updated tutorial island fully replaced the Ashdale Tutorial.
Learning the Ropes[edit | edit source]
On 14 July 2008, Tutorial Island was replaced with a new tutorial, Learning the Ropes. The quest centred around a White Knight, Sir Vant, who was having trouble with a three-headed green dragon that was causing disruption in the cellar under Lumbridge. Sir Vant could not defeat the dragon, and it got away. He then tells you to head up to the surface, where you walk around a copy of Lumbridge and learn about certain skills and interfaces.
The percentage of people completing this tutorial was much lower than before, so Jagex removed it, saying they will recreate it in time, making it much better. Tutorial Island then again took place as RuneScape's tutorial from September 2008 onwards.
Unstable Foundations[edit | edit source]
The updates on 17 September 2009 gave a final goodbye to Tutorial Island and implemented Unstable Foundations. The quest was a remake of the previous tutorial, Learning the Ropes, and was remade to focus on the more important things, like controls, so the player could then learn more if they want to with their new advisor, Roddeck.
In the quest, the player must help a White Knight named Sir Vant to kill a dragon who is preventing him from escaping the Lumbridge cellar. The player feeds the dragon some drugged meat, which makes it fall asleep under a ceiling held up by two wooden posts. The player and Sir Vant both attach an oily fuse to the wooden posts, then light up, which causes the ceiling to cave in on the dragon, thus killing it. The player must either mine or woodcut their way out.
The player is rewarded 1 Quest point, level 4 Mining/Woodcutting (depends on which way you escaped the cellar), the ability to chat freely, the ability to explore RuneScape, and the services of an advisor.
Introductory tasks[edit | edit source]
May 2011 removed the Unstable Foundations quest and the new tutorial was centred around the Introductory tasks. Players had to speak to Explorer Jack in Lumbridge to start the tutorial. This included The Blood Pact quest.
Troll Warzone[edit | edit source]
Beginning January 2012, the new Troll Warzone tutorial was used. This included an overhaul to the Taverley and Burthorpe area, with the release of a new novice quest Let Them Eat Pie and reworks of Druidic Ritual, Wolf Whistle, and Death Plateau. In November 2013, Troll Warzone still remained largely available for players to experience after the release of the Ashdale tutorial.
Ashdale[edit | edit source]
From November 2013 until May 2018, Ashdale was introduced as the new tutorial island. Players would end up in Taverley after finishing the Ashdale Tutorial, and would then be directed to complete the Path system. Following the completion of the Ashdale tutorial, the Path system interface was introduced, which directs players to complete The Blood Pact quest, Demon Slayer quest, a Bank tutorial, a Challenge System tutorial, a Shopkeeper tutorial, and A Shadow over Ashdale quest. The Path system could be disabled, however, and players were free to explore RuneScape after completion of the Ashdale tutorial. It was possible to bypass the Ashdale tutorial altogether; during character creation, an interface asks if the player had played RuneScape before, and if the player selects the option that the player had played recently, the new character would spawn in Taverley, able to complete the Path system and/or to explore the rest of RuneScape.
In May 2018, the Ashdale tutorial was replaced with a reworked version of Tutorial Island.
Davendale[edit | edit source]
From 22 February 2021, Davendale was added as a new tutorial area as an A/B test for mobile players only. As part of the tutorial, the player has to help ward off the Troll invasion by supplying the village with fish or help killing the invaders.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 2 March 2020 (Update):
- A tutorial pop-up to teach default interaction now appears after character creation if the player doesn't move from the starting coordinate for a while after arrival on the mainland.
- A two-step tutorial pop-up to teach camera zoom and rotation controls now appears after the default interaction popup, or after the player's first conversation with Turael during the First Time User Experience - as long as these controls haven't previously been taught or have otherwise been cancelled.
- The Click/Tap to Continue button now flashes in the player's first mainland conversation, instead of just the first conversation with the RuneScape guide on Tutorial Island.
- The Loot all button is now highlighted the first time the player picks up multiple items with area loot.
- A brief tutorial for the loot window and the Backpack now appears when first picking up an item, if guidance system hints are enabled.
- Levelling up is now introduced the first time a new player gains a level in any skill, if guidance system hints are enabled.
- Moving via the minimap is now introduced when the player starts being directed away from the Burthorpe lodestone, if this wasn't taught on Tutorial Island.
- New players on the Burthorpe First Time User Experience that leave the Burthorpe & Taverley area are now informed of the lodestone network, so they know how to return to a safe hub.
- The tutorial pop-up that previously only occurred when starting the Blood Pact quest now occurs when starting your first quest.
- A "Tell me about the skills menu" dialogue option has been added to all skill tutors.
- A list of repeatable tutorials is now available from Turael, Major Mary Rancour and the Lumbridge Sage. This includes several topics salvaged from Tutorial Island, such as the Financial Advisor's introduction to the economy, and the Quest Guide's introduction to the quest list.
- patch 21 October 2019 (Update):
- Ensured that players who completed Unstable Foundations prior to the Ashdale tutorial are treated as completing the new Tutorial Island, so that they are not trapped in a timey-wimey ball of weirdness where RuneScape thinks they're still on Tutorial Island. Simply logging in should now free the suffering few from this terrible purgatory.
- patch 19 August 2019 (Update):
- Fixed a typo during the banking tutorial that was not displaying the current amount of coins a player has.
- patch 14 May 2018 (Update):
- patch 22 June 2015 (Update):
- Ribbon graphics in the tutorial once again appear disabled when relevant.
- patch 4 August 2014 (Update):
- The skip button on the cinematic at the start of the Ashdale tutorial has been standardised.
- A cutscene flyover of the Ashdale island has been added as part of the opening cinematic, which replaces the player's walk down the house stairs.
- The player will now face away from the Ashdale house if they logout and login again immediately after the cinematic.
- Text in the camera notification at the start of the tutorial has been made slightly clearer.
- The river running through Ashdale has been improved.
- A graphical issue with Ashdale fishing spots has been fixed.
- Tutorial enemies now have fewer life points, Morwenna's taunts are linear rather than randomised, and the combat level has been removed from the dead cow.
- An issue where Gudrik could briefly disappear during Morwenna's intro cutscene has been fixed.
- A slight change has been made to Hendrik's and Sarah's dialogue.
- Prow textures on the ship in the sailing cutscene have been improved.
- patch 3 January 2013 (Update):
- Camera controls will be restored correctly when selecting a weapon at the beginning of the tutorial.