Troughs are found in each animal pen at the Manor Farm and the Anachronia Dinosaur Farm. They are used in the player-owned farm and Ranch Out of Time to feed the livestock in each pen. They can be filled with various organic resources to produce mush. The foods an animal will eat is listed under the animal's info, which can be seen by clicking on them in the pen or in the player's inventory. Each trough can hold up to 1,000 produce. Food can be added either noted or unnoted, and the trough can be used from both inside and outside the pen. Any amount from 1 - 1000 to be added in one action, though for non-stackable items the full amount can only be added if they are noted.
Each animal eats one food every hour and the correct food will raise animal health and happiness by 5–9%. For example, a pen with 3 animals will require 3 food each hour to maintain. Foods can be taken out of the trough as mush in order to reuse with other paddocks, but the original items cannot be reclaimed. As all food sources result in the same amount of produce, cheaper sources are better. Animals with both Immune and Joyful traits will remain at 100% health and happiness without the need for food, although food will still be consumed if it is in the trough. Having both these traits can be useful for animals that require food that is expensive or time-consuming to acquire, such as zygomites or frogs.
- Fruit - Dell Monti will give 40 pineapples to anybody who has completed the easy Karamja achievements, with an additional 40 cooking apples for those who have completed the elite Karamja achievements. Also if you have completed sub-parts of Recipe for Disaster you are able to buy cooking apples from the chest. Additionally, Arhein in Catherby sells 40 pineapples for 2 coins each per day. While they take 42 hours to grow, Arc berries can also be harvested a few hundred at a time and used as fruit.
- Vegetables - There is a Vegetable stall next to Arhein, which gives a variety of vegetables when thieved from.
- Insects - Stinkflies can be harvested from stinkshrooms. Alternatively, pet shops sell flies and beetle bits.
- Seeds - Sunchoke seeds and fly trap seeds sell on the Grand Exchange cheaply and in large quantities, up to 1,000 every four hours. This makes it easy to stockpile a large amount of food. A Master Farmer is also close to the Manor Farm, who can be pickpocketed for a vast variety of seeds.
- Flowers - Players who have completed the Seers' Village achievements can obtain up to 200 flax from Geoffrey per day. In general, flax and snape grass are relatively cheap options that can be bought in bulk. Woad Leaves from Wyson are a great option, since they can be bought in bulk at 25 coins each.
- Mushrooms - Can easily be obtained in large numbers by harvesting mushroom clusters on The Islands That Once Were Turtles, Goshima or Uncharted Isles with 90 and 94 farming respectively, although it makes the most sense to slice and sell the more valuable Uncharted Island mushrooms instead of using them for feeding purposes. Gorajian mushrooms and Mort myre fungus may also be used as relatively cheaper (about 3000-4000 coins) and less time-consuming alternatives.
- Meat - Stocking up on raw meats is most efficiently done by buying raw bird meat packs daily from the shop in Oo'glog after completing the As a First Resort quest. If you need larger quantities than provided by the packs, the shop also sells a variety of other raw meats and is relatively close to a bank. If you don't have access to Oo'glog, Cows can be killed to quickly obtain large amounts of raw meat. Grizzly bears can be found just east of the manor farm if you're in a pinch.
- Fish - Raw fish are a cheaper alternative to buying meat on the GE, and buy quickly. However, they are only eaten by dragons and chinchompas; dinosaurs eat only meat.
- ^ Is only used at the Ranch Out of Time
- ^ Even though chinchompas eat everything, they will only eat if the trough says "variety". Having food in it from the previous animal in will NOT count, therefore, the player must remove the contents as variety mush and re-add it to the trough.
Anachronia Dinosaur Farm feeding[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b c d Is only used at the Manor Farm
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- update 16 September 2019 (Update):
- Various changes made to address complaints listed in the Player Owned Farm - Changes Blog.
- Animal XP is now based on their health and happiness.
- This is to encourage players to engage with their farm more actively. Now the happiness and health of the animals adjusts the XP to a percentage of their average, to a minimum of 10% of their maximum value. This means that you need to keep your animals fed and healthy if you want to maintain their best XP rates.
- The rate at which animals feed has been increased.
- To keep things simple, we’ve decided to make it so that each animal eats 1 food every hour. Put simply, this means that an animal's health and happiness will now improve at twice the rate, while still allowing players to leave their farms alone for a few days and check back in to top things up.
- Additionally, we’ve increased the amount of food which can be added via left click. Now you can fill the entire trough in one go.
- patch 17 June 2019 (Update):
- It is now possible to add barbarian fish to player owned farm troughs.
- patch 28 May 2019 (Update):
- Fixed grammatical error when a player owned farm trough has run out of food.