Troughs are found in each animal pen at Manor Farm, and Anachronia Dinosaur Farm. They are used in the player-owned farm and Ranch Out of Time to feed the livestock in each pen. They can be filled with various organic resources to produce mush. Each trough can hold up to 1,000 produce. Food can be added either noted or unnoted, and the trough can be used from both inside and outside the pen. Any amount 1 - 1000 to be added in one action.
Each animal eats one food every hour and the correct food will raise animal health and happiness by 5–9%. For example, a pen with 3 animals will require 3 food each hour to maintain. Foods can be taken out of the trough as mush in order to reuse with other paddocks, but the original items cannot be reclaimed. As all food sources result in the same amount of produce, cheaper sources are better.
- Fruit - Dell Monti will give 40 pineapples to anybody who has completed the easy Karamja achievements, with an additional 40 cooking apples for those who have completed the elite Karamja achievements. Also if you have completed sub-parts of Recipe for Disaster you are able to buy cooking apples from the chest. Additionally, Arhein in Catherby sells 40 pineapples for 2 coins each per day. While they take 42 hours to grow, Arc berries can also be harvested a few hundred at a time and used as fruit.
- Vegetables - There is a Vegetable stall next to Arhein, which gives a variety of vegetables when thieved from.
- Insects - Pet Shops sell flies and beetle bits.
- Seeds - Sunchoke seeds and fly trap seeds sell on the Grand Exchange cheaply and in large quantities, up to 1,000 every four hours. This makes it easy to stockpile a large amount of food. A Master Farmer is also close to the farm, who can be pickpocketed for a vast variety of seeds.
- Flowers - Players who have completed the Seers' Village achievements can obtain up to 200 flax from Geoffrey per day. In general, flax and snape grass are relatively cheap options that can be bought in bulk. Woad Leaves from Wyson are a great option, since they can be bought in bulk at 25 coins each.
- Mushrooms - Can easily be obtained in large numbers by harvesting mushroom clusters on The Islands That Once Were Turtles, Goshima or Uncharted Isles with 90 and 94 farming respectively, although it makes the most sense to slice and sell the more valuable Uncharted Island mushrooms instead of using them for feeding purposes. Gorajian mushrooms and Mort myre fungus may also be used as relatively cheaper (about 1500-2500 coins) and less time-consuming alternatives.
- Meat - Stocking up on raw meats is most efficiently done by buying Raw bird meat pack daily from the shop in Oo'glog after completing the As a First Resort quest. If you need larger quantities than provided by the packs, the shop also sells a variety of other raw meats and is relatively close to a bank. If you don't have access to Oo'glog, Cows can be killed to quickly obtain large amounts of raw meat. Grizzly bears can be found just east of the manor farm if you're in a pinch. Raw fish are another alternative to meat for the same animals and buy fast on the GE.
- ^ Even though chinchompas eat everything, they will only eat if the trough says "variety". Having food in it from the previous animal in will NOT count, therefore, the player must remove the contents as variety mush and re-add it to the trough.
Anachronia Dinosaur Farm feeding[edit | edit source]
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
patch 16 September 2019 (Update):
- It is now possible to fill the entire trough in one go.
- patch 17 June 2019 (Update):
- It is now possible to add barbarian fish to player owned farm troughs.
- patch 28 May 2019 (Update):
- Fixed grammatical error when a player owned farm trough has run out of food.