Troll Warzone was the name for the Burthorpe and Taverley area as a whole, and also the name of the tutorial sequence that took place in the area. With the release of Ashdale, it is no longer the tutorial, although most of the tasks within it can still be played, with the exception of "Stop Them In Their Tracks!" and "Arise Hero". The tasks can be played in order by going to the achievements section, clicking options, and enabling Tutorial mode. It was released on 31 January 2012.
Tutorial[edit | edit source]
Stop Them In Their Tracks![edit | edit source]
After a speech by Major Mary Rancour, Morningstar and a horde of Trolls will attack Burthorpe. You will be asked to choose a weapon, the choices being either a Bronze sword, a Chargebow or an Air staff. Regardless of which weapon you choose, you will have to fight a level 7 troll. During this fight, you are aided by Corporal Keymans and Ozan, although they are unable to deal any damage. The troll is extremely weak, and if you reach low health, you will automatically be healed.
After the troll is defeated, Morningstar will summon more trolls to attack you. You will now have to defeat three level 3 troll runts. Each runt uses a different attack style, and as before, you are aided by Ozan and Corporal Keymans.
After the runts are defeated, Morningstar will knock Corporal Keymans to the ground and throw a rock on top of Ozan, incapacitating them, and Morningstar will once again attack. After the cutscene finishes, you will finally be able to attack Morningstar.
Morningstar is level 8, and attacks with both Melee and Ranged, although both attacks are only capable of hitting 1. Although Ozan and Keymans are incapacitated, you will still be aided by several members of the Imperial Guard, and Morningstar is still extremely easy.
Once Morningstar is defeated, Ozan will climb out from under the rock, revealing himself to be fine, and a Baby Troll will appear, mourning the death of his father. You will now have to help the imperial guards point out the troll, which is achieved by merely clicking it. Eventually the troll will head into a cannon, and you will have a choice of whether to free and keep it as a pet or fire the cannon with the troll still in it.
Regardless of your decision, Mary Rancour and Ozan will thank you for your help, and Ozan will head to Draynor Village. Rancour will then say that they are not ready for another assault, and asks you to go south into the town and help out around the area.
Ozan is crushed by a rock and unable to help you defeat Morningstar.
Machinery Of War[edit | edit source]
Talk to Isold, south of the training circle. Trolls killed his wife and so he wants vengeance, but he has found out that the Imperial Guard hasn't got enough equipment to give to new recruits and so he only has a sword and some tools. He needs a bronze helmet and some gloves.
Enter the mine and mine some copper, and you will hear someone calling for help to the west. Click on the blocked tunnel to the west to free Linza and two miners that are trapped. As a reward for saving them, Linza gives you the
Dwarven army axe! You will also receive a Bronze longsword and an off-hand bronze longsword. Mine some Tin ore and then smelt the tin and copper at the furnace to make a bronze bar, then use the bar on an anvil to make a bronze helm.
Kill a cow wandering around the south of Jack Oval, to get a cowhide. Tan it at Jack Oval. Click the tanned cowhide and make leather gloves, Talk to Isold to give him the items, and after a short cutscene he will go to find Major Corothers. You will now have the ability to fit a chisel to the Dwarven army axe and you gain bonus experience when working with clay or leather.
Hell's Kitchen[edit | edit source]
Run south to find Sister Judith, next to the flax field. Taverley is full of hungry refugees, and all their food is sent north to the Imperial Guard in Burthorpe. Judith wants help to gather some more.
Go north again catch some Crayfish, and then cook them.
A simple way to get all of the food would be to kill the troll commandos, troll ranger commandos and troll mage commandos to the north, as they commonly drop cooked food. You could also get some from the bank chest in Burthorpe.
Take four pieces of cooked food to Judith and the refugees. There are cows in the field if you need extra. A permanent fire is located near Judith. after you've given the food you receive a knife that fits with the axe; it gives bonus experience when cooking as well as hunting polar kebbits or Crimson swifts. You also receive an Antique lamp (mining), which provides mining xp when rubbed.
The War Profiteers[edit | edit source]
Talk to Ruth Savage, located inside The Pick and Lute pub. She says that greedy merchants are hampering the war efforts. She asks you to help her do something about it. Go outside and find a Pompous Merchant and pickpocket him. Then talk to Nails Newton to start the Let Them Eat Pie quest.
Fetch an empty pot from Mess Sergeant Ramsey, go south then east to find some dead trolls with fishing bait next to them, then collect some wheat from the field south of that. Go north to the watermill and put the wheat and the bait in the hopper on the first floor, then empty the bin on the ground floor to get a pot of maggoty flour. Take the flour back to Nails. Next go north and get a raw crayfish and bury it in a field. Get a crayfish cage from Nicholas Angle to catch the crayfish. Go west to the flax field and you'll bury and retrieve the crayfish automatically. Take the manky crayfish back to Nails. Now he wants you to stick a potato in a kebbit hole. Dig up your potatoes from earlier and take one of them to the small, snowy hunting area northwest of the flax field. Use a potato on a hole, then go back to Nails with the stinking potato. Use the potato and crayfish with the pie crust, then use the uncooked pie with the pub's oven to make Terrible pie. Go back to the mill and pickpocket Foppish Pierre to get some expensive spices to disguise the smell of the pie and turn it into a mouth-watering pie.
Take the pie to Rolo the Stout, on the first floor of The Pick and Lute. He will eat the pie and immediately become ill. WARNING - if the sound of vomiting makes you ill, do not listen to the full sound track. After talking to Nails, go back upstairs and steal the seal from the chest. Take it to Nails, and he will use it to stamp the letter, which he tells you to take to Pierre. Pierre reads the letter and agrees to open the food store. Go back to Nails and tell him of your success. Quest complete. Yelps will then appear, and you will be told to spin the Squeal of Fortune. Congratulations, stage complete!
The Corrupted Depths[edit | edit source]
Speak to Jacquelyn Manslaughter, across the river from the watermill, to start the next section of the tutorial. She will tell you that there are gelatinous creatures gathering in a cave to the south, and that you should talk to Turael/Spria to find out what to do next.
IMPORTANT: You must not currently have a Slayer assignment to complete this next task. Furthermore, if you have completed Smoking Kills and currently have a task, this will count as reassigning a task and hence reset your task completion streak. Therefore, it is advisable to first finish your current task or skip it using Slayer points.
Turael/Spria will ask you to kill 5 gelatinous abominations. They will give you a slayer gem. Collect some free spiked gauntlets from Jacquelyn and go east then south to the island in the middle of the lake and into the cave there. Speak to Ariane and she will join you in trying to find the source of this new threat. either kill the abominations now with her help or after the boss.
Run south and you will find Magic Stick, a Troll Shaman, near a subterranean spring. He and Ariane will start fighting. Assist Ariane. After defeating the troll, talk to Ariane and she will eventually teleport away.
The Spirit Masters[edit | edit source]
Find Magestix in Taverley to continue. He will teach new players how to summon. Make a Spirit wolf pouch and summon it. The wolf will tell you there is someone trapped in a burning building nearby. Follow the road north to a burning building, and go in. Jump over the destroyed floor. Make sure you have both hands empty and talk to Nora. She has sprained her ankle and needs you to carry her out. Jump back over the destroyed floor. There will be a cut scene of the druids putting out the fire. Nora will give you an axe blade to fit the Dwarven Army Axe that will give you bonus xp when chopping or burning normal and oak logs.
Watery Grave[edit | edit source]
Speak to Olga by the riverbank behind the stalls. Her daughter Sophie has fallen into the river, but can't swim. Olga has tried throwing a rope to Sophie, but keeps dropping it. You have to make a bow and some arrows to fire the rope into a rock. Cut down two trees to get logs. Use a knife to fletch one into an unstrung bow and the other into arrowshafts. Get feathers from Alison Elmshaper, killing chickens or hunting crimson swifts. Get flax to make a bowstring from the flax field where you buried the crayfish earlier. There is a spinning wheel near Jack Oval north of the cow pen to spin the flax to a bowstring. To get bronze arrowtips, you can either buy them pre-made from Alison Elmshaper or mine some more tin ore and copper ore. Use the tin and copper ore on the furnace to get a bronze bar. Use the bronze bar on the anvils to make bronze arrowheads to attach to the headless arrows. The furnace and anvils are located next to Martin Steelweaver.
Once you've made the arrows, use the rope on them to attach it to one arrow. Equip the bow and run back to Olga. Use the rope arrow on the rock or Sophie. A cutscene will show Sophie climbing the rope back to safety. She will give you a shiny thing, another attachment for the axe that will give bonus xp for finishing bronze and iron arrows.
The Hand Of Guthix[edit | edit source]
Poletax, located further north along the road, will unlock Herblore for you. Speak to him, then trade with him to get a free grimy guam, eye of newt and vial of water. Clean the grimy guam to get clean guam then use it on the vial of water, and the eye of newt on the guam potion (unf) to make an attack potion.
You then are directed to start Druidic Ritual. Go and talk to Sanfew and he'll ask you to get living water, wandering wyrmwood and stone fish scales. Go south back into the enchanted cave to where you fought the troll shaman and fill the vial. Next, go south next to the wheat field and catch a fish at the sparkling spot (click on the fish to get the scales). Go south again and wait for one of the wyrmwoods to pop out of the ground and grab a leaf
Return to Sanfew to mix the potion, then return to Kaqemeex where you will finish the quest.
Return to the Front[edit | edit source]
Bank any extra weapons and then continue north to find Drill Sergeant Hartman, in Burthorpe. As you approach, a giant troll named Anvil will leap down onto a building. Help Sir Owen kill it off. Grab the quickbow it drops and find Hartman to the north. Complete a lap of the Burthorpe Agility Course.
You are now required to complete the Death Plateau quest.
Arise, Hero[edit | edit source]
A voiced cutscene will play, where Major Rancour will explain what is going on to the Signature Heroes you've interacted with, and all of the NPCs you've helped or received help from in the Burthorpe and Taverley area. You are knighted, and Rancour gives you some supplies to help you in the future. You are then given additional options to join other NPCs in completing additional tasks.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- Antique lamp (cooking), Antique lamp (mining) and Antique lamp (woodcutting)
- XP bonus enhancements to Dwarven army axe
- The Dwarven army axe
- 5 Varrock teleports
- 5 Falador teleports
- 5 attack potions (noted)
- 5 strength potions (noted)
- 5 defence potions (noted)
- 5 prayer potions (noted)
- Steel full helm
- Baby Troll
- 0-17,000 coins per task
- Note: the money reward is based on how many tasks you have completed and your level.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 13 November 2013 (Update):
- Players are now able to skip all of the opening cutscenes in the Burthorpe tutorial.
- patch 29 August 2013 (Update):
- The initial Troll Warzone cutscene can once again be skipped by pressing the “Esc” key.
- patch 20 August 2013 (Update):
- patch 13 August 2013 (Update):
- Major Mary Rancour's head no longer clips into the camera during one of the tutorial cutscenes.
- A troll in the tutorial cutscene is no longer floating in the HTML5 client.
- All of the cutscenes in the tutorial now use the updated building models launched with RS3.
- The 'New Quest' tutorial pop-up has been updated.
- Players are now able to complete the task "Hammer the Anvil" in the tutorial.
- Several click zone sizes in the tutorial have been fixed.
- The Warrior's Guild walls once again appear in the Burthorpe Knighthood cutscene.
- The burning building in Burthorpe now appears correctly.
- patch 22 July 2013 (Update):
- patch 25 March 2013 (Update):
- The weapons on the floor at the beginning of Troll Warzone now glow.
- The chargebow has been increased in strength to make it comparable to the melee and mage equivalents.
- Several text changes have been made to streamline the introduction sequence.
- The interface with information about the Death Plateau quest has been updated to use the Noticeboard icon rather than the old Quest tab icon.
- When the Death Plateau task is active, the button below the task is now "Open Noticeboard" instead of "Get Directions".
- A glowing lamp has been removed from a wall near the exit of the combat section of Troll Warzone.
- The trolls at the beginning of Troll Warzone now form a more distinct line formation.
- The woman from the burning house no longer disappears as she attempts to jump onto the players' shoulders.
- Using climbing boots on Sabbot now gives some information about where to take the boots.
- The movement speed of Wandering wyrmwoods has been decreased.
- The "Kill a cow" task has been updated to make it more obvious on what steps to take to gain a weapon.
- Trying to unequip equipment with a full inventory now gives clearer feedback about why the item was not unequipped.
- The Burning House section of Troll Warzone now gives more clear feedback about how to unequip a weapon.
- Burnt meat and burnt chicken have been removed from the Make-X interface.
- The animation when the Baby troll jumps into the cannon has been smoothed out.
- patch 5 February 2013 (Update):
- The animation for planting seeds within the Troll Warzone area has been adjusted.
- The cooking stove in the Troll Warzone area now appears correctly during Let Them Eat Pie.
- Trying to do damage via auto attacks (i.e. left clicking) to the very first troll in the Troll Warzone does nothing until you use an ability.
- patch 21 January 2013 (Update):
- Spam clicking during the opening Troll Warzone cutscene no longer causes the player to get stuck during the "move your camera" section.
- The "Extras" side stone now appears correctly on exiting the Troll Warzone tutorial.
- patch 19 December 2012 (Update):
- The Hold Them Back achievement is now completable for players who progressed to a certain point in the original Troll Warzone before the Evolution of Combat was released.
- patch 20 November 2012 (Update):
- Players who select music tracks manually will no longer have the music track change upon entering the Troll Warzone area.
- patch 19 June 2012 (Update):
- Several accessibility updates have been made to the Troll Warzone area.
- patch 2 April 2012 (Update):
- The "Hammer the Anvil" task in Troll Warzone no longer automatically starts for players not in Tutorial mode.
- patch 20 March 2012 (Update):
- A hint arrow trail is now shown when directing players to the Player Loyalty store in the Troll Warzone.
- patch 13 March 2012 (Update):
- The blocked cave at the beginning of Troll Warzone now fits in better with the surrounding wall.
- patch 28 February 2012 (Update):
- The Troll Warzone musical tracks (Taverley Folk I & II, Taverley Ambience I-V) have been renamed.
- patch 21 February 2012 (Update):
- Some atmospheric sounds around the Troll Warzone area have been tweaked.
- Speaking to Vannaka after using a Troll Warzone recommendation system teleport to Vannaka no longer talks about the Burthorpe set of tasks.
- Messages from Pauline from Lunar farm are no longer given around the Troll Warzone area.
- patch 14 February 2012 (Update):
- The "Hammer the Anvil" task is now a Tutorial mode task, as it is required to see the final cutscene in Troll Warzone.
- Several spelling mistakes around the Troll Warzone area have been fixed.
- The Drowning Kid section of Troll Warzone no longer automatically completes chapter 6 too early under certain circumstances.
- The farmer in the Troll Warzone area no longer forgets which Farming patch he's looking after if he wanders too far away.
- patch 7 February 2012 (Update):
- Ariane is no longer wearing Dungeoneering robes during Troll Warzone.
- Some incorrect chat by Linza during the mining section of Troll Warzone has been corrected.
- Some typos from Troll Warzone have been fixed.
- Some Seers and Gnome Task areas have been removed from around Troll Warzone.
- The final chapter of "Troll Warzone" is no longer referred to as "Return to the Front".
- The monkey bars in Troll Warzone no longer sound like metal.
- The Surefooted aura now functions correctly on the agility course in Troll Warzone.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Hell's Kitchen part may be a reference to the reality show Hell's Kitchen, and the chef named Ramsey may be a reference to chef Gordon Ramsay.
- Drill Sergeant Hartman may be a reference to Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in the movie Full Metal Jacket
|Lores and Histories|