|Troll Stronghold (#57)|
|Release date||24 August 2004 (Update)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Official description[edit | edit source]
The Imperial Guard raid was a failure, and Dunstan's son has been captured by the trolls!
Journey through Trollheim to the Troll Stronghold, and rescue him!
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Commander Denulth in Burthorpe.|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Official length||Short to Medium|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat|
You do not actually have to complete the quest to access God Wars Dungeon, you just have to reach the point where you defeat Dad.
Troll Stronghold[edit | edit source]
Speak to Commander Denulth in Burthorpe. Ask him about the ongoing battle between the Imperial Guard and the trolls. He will tell you that their plan of ambushing the trolls backfired; they were attacked and Dunstan's son, Godric, was kidnapped and taken to their stronghold.
If Denulth tells you that the ambush is still being planned, try asking him about the White Knights.
Tell him that you would like to help get Godric back. Head to Freda (west of the lodestone and past the Warrior's Guild) and buy a pair of climbing boots for 12 coins.
- Climb down the cliffside and Squeeze through the gap to the east.
- Continue east and jump south over the crevice.
- Go south and swing across the rope swing to the west.
- Jump over the stepping stones and squeeze through the gap to the south.
- Climb up the cliffside and exit through the cliffside hole.
Once you exit, put your climbing boots on and climb over the wall of rocks west of cave entrance you came from. Alternatively, it is faster to run through the Death Plateau on the surface, but low level players may want to bring more food as they will be attacked by Thrower Trolls. Head east and work your way through the obstacles leading to the Troll arena.
Fighting Dad[edit | edit source]
A large troll named Dad waits in the arena. He does not allow anybody to pass unless they defeat him first.
He is level 77 and uses a giant log as a weapon. He can hit up to 440 and send players flying, stunning them temporarily. To begin this fight, you will need to attempt to open the north-eastern gate. He will begin walking towards you and will attack.
There is a safespot for Dad; enter the western end of the gate, and then let him speak, and stand right beside the gate on the northern end, where you can safely range or mage him.
Do not exit back through the gate as Dad will fully replenish his life points. Prayer can be used here, but it may be best if you save it for the Troll General later on, unless you have a prayer potion or plan on making a return trip.
You can now pass through the northeast gate. Go past the level 74 and 75 mountain trolls, and enter the cave at the end of the path. Continue through the cave, and exit it. You should now be at the eastern side of a spiral mountain. Make your way north, then west around the mountain, passing the thrower trolls (Protect from Missiles will lessen the damage), until you reach an area full of mountain trolls on the western side of the mountain. It is possible with 47 Agility to use the cliffside shortcuts to bypass the thrower trolls.
Do not enter the troll camp, but rather go north through a ramp found immediately east of the camp to an entrance to the Troll Stronghold dungeon.
Troll Stronghold fortress[edit | edit source]
Inside are some more mountain trolls. From the entrance, walk south until you see a door on the west wall. Enter and go north to find three Troll Generals. Kill one general to get the prison key. Only one of the generals needs to be killed.
Due to their large size and rough terrain, it is very easy to safespot them if you are ranging, maging, or using a halberd, such as at the entrances of their own chambers. If you are using melee without a halberd, use Protect from Melee, as it will negate some of the damage from their attacks.
Freeing the prisoners[edit | edit source]
After killing the general and getting the prison key, go back to the east section, then continue north up the passage way until you reach some stairs. Climb down the stairs and head east to the prison door. Unlock it and climb down the stairs to reach the jail. When you reach the prison cells, you will see two sleeping prison guards named Twig and Berry.
With 30 Thieving, pickpocket both to get Cell key 1 for Godric's cell and Cell key 2 for Eadgar's cell. If you fail to pickpocket them, they will wake up and start to attack you. You then need to kill them to obtain the cell keys. If you do not want to fight them, you can hide behind one of the doors and stay until they become non-aggressive.
They can also be safe-spotted like the generals. The best way is to go into the empty cell north of Eadgar's and range/mage them, since the cell door is too small for them to pass through.
Once you free both Eadgar and Godric, go to Dunstan. The easiest way to get back to him is by Home Teleport to Burthorpe. Once teleported head east to the most north-eastern house, just south-east of Commander Denulth. Otherwise, use the exit south of the prison. Once outside, continue south and climb over the rocks and back through the underground passage. Talk to Dunstan to complete the quest.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 quest point
- Two mysterious lamps that give 10,000 experience in any skill level 30 or above.
- Access to Trollheim and the Troll Stronghold
- Access to God Wars Dungeon with the requirement of 60 Agility or 60 Strength.
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
- Music unlocked
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Troll Stronghold ( 0) – Complete this Experienced quest.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Troll Stronghold is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- 'Phite Club
- Azzanadra's Quest
- Full completion of Battle of the Monolith (miniquest)
- Birthright of the Dwarves
- Blood Runs Deep
- Children of Mah
- City of Senntisten
- Full completion of Curse of the Black Stone
- Desperate Measures
- Full completion of Desperate Times
- Dimension of Disaster
- Dimension of Disaster: Curse of Arrav
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Do No Evil
- Dream Mentor
- Eye of Het I (miniquest)
- Eye of Het II (miniquest)
- Fate of the Gods
- Full completion of Heart of Stone
- Full completion of Hero's Welcome
- Hopespear's Will
- Kindred Spirits
- King of the Dwarves
- Koschei's Troubles
- Mahjarrat Memories
- Full completion of Missing, Presumed Death
- My Arm's Big Adventure
- Full completion of Nadir (saga)
- Nomad's Elegy
- Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Finale
- Full completion of Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Fortunes
- One of a Kind
- Our Man in the North
- Rebuilding Edgeville
- Recipe for Disaster
- Recipe for Disaster: Defeating the Culinaromancer
- Ritual of the Mahjarrat
- Sins of the Father
- Sliske's Endgame
- Tales of Nomad
- The Curse of Arrav
- The Curse of Zaros
- The General's Shadow
- The Light Within
- The Mighty Fall
- The Temple at Senntisten
- The Vault of Shadows (miniquest)
- Full completion of The World Wakes
- Wandering Ga'al
- While Guthix Sleeps
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
|Art & Graphics|
|Quality assurance||Andrew C|
|Quest Help||Samir A|
|Databox • Talk page|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 18 January 2016 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with using troll thistle on a fire in the Troll Stronghold quest.
- patch 13 May 2013 (Update):
- Dialogue regarding the Death Plateau quest no longer appears in Troll Stronghold if players have already completed it.
- patch 5 February 2013 (Update):
- Eadgar will no longer return to the Troll's cell after completing Troll Stronghold.
- patch 19 December 2012 (Update):
- The Troll Stronghold quest journal now states the correct combat level of the troll the player must defeat.
- patch 7 February 2012 (Update):
- Troll Stronghold now requires 30 Thieving, instead of recommending the level.
- patch 3 May 2011 (Update):
- Some dialogue at the beginning of this quest has been altered to stop repeating certain phrases.
- patch 13 May 2010 (Update):
- Updated some of the Pest Control core code and also some code used in the Troll Stronghold, though it should not cause any gameplay changes.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The original reward for the quest was a law talisman, but as it had nothing to do with the quest, it was changed to 2 mysterious lamps on 7 May 2008. Players who had completed it before the update received a message in the chatbox saying "Why not stop by Dunstan's house in Burthorpe? The smithy has a special reward for you.".
- After completing the quest, if you talk to Juna, your character will say, "...and, after I rescued Godric, Dunstan gave me two magic lamps as a reward!"