Treasure Trails/Guide/Puzzle boxes
- For information on how to solve them, go to the Puzzle box/Guide page.
Puzzle boxes[edit | edit source]
When speaking to an NPC in a level 3 or 4 trail, the player may receive a puzzle box. Puzzle boxes are 'step two' of a clue: first the player has to find the right NPC to speak to (when they get a cryptic or anagram clue), and then they have to solve the puzzle, to advance along their trail.
Puzzle boxes are the RuneScape version of n-puzzles – they contain a scrambled image that players must work to unscramble by clicking on tiles to move them to an empty space. Once the puzzle box is completed, players will need to talk to the NPC who gave the puzzle to receive the next clue or the reward.
Many people find puzzle boxes daunting, but taken from the right approach they can be simple and quite fun. The game scrambles the puzzles by randomly moving pieces approximately 50 - 200 times.
If the player logs out, without finishing the puzzle, they will lose all progress and will have to start over again. However, if the puzzle box belongs to an elite clue, they will be unable to ask for another one, and must either complete the puzzle or drop the puzzle scroll box/casket.
Solution[edit | edit source]
To solve the puzzle, (refer to the picture to the right)
- Begin by arranging from left to right, the first section (red) so that it matches the solution.
- Repeat step one with the second section (orange).
- Repeat the process for the third section (yellow).
- Correctly arrange the two tiles located in the fourth section (green).
- Repeat the process as in step four for the fifth section (blue).
- Lastly, arrange the last six tiles in the sixth section (purple).
- When all of the tiles match the solution exactly, exit the interface to complete the puzzle.
Note: After a step is completed, DO NOT re-arrange any tiles in the previous step; just work with what you have.
List of puzzles[edit | edit source]
Following is a list of all known puzzle boxes. The completed puzzle also can be viewed by hovering on the Hint icon at the bottom left of the screen. When finished, simply close the box; if on a hard clue, speak with the NPC who gave you the box.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- hotfix 13 February 2018:
- Slide puzzles no longer produce null errors upon opening and completing.
- ninja 12 February 2018 (Update):
- Slider puzzles have been updated to be much more responsive to control.
- A 'check' button has been added to the slider puzzle interface to indicate which tiles are incorrectly placed.
- It is now possible to invert the keyboard controls on a puzzle box using a checkbox on the interface.