Scans are a type of Treasure Trail clue that can only occur during elite and master clue scrolls. The first batch of scans came to the game as part of the Treasure Trail update on 4 August 2010, while the second batch came to the game as part of the clue scroll overhaul on 26 February 2018. They can be distinguished from other types of clues by the orb attached to the clue scroll. Scan clues require going to a particular region and scanning in order to find the next clue (or the casket).
When determining an elite trail clue, there is a 577/1059 chance for it to be a scan clue, and for master clue this chance is 20/100.
Some scans may be found in multiple levels; so far to date, only Dorgesh-Kaan and Brimhaven Dungeon have scans which can be found on multiple levels. All locations are considered to be on ground floor. If the location has multiple levels and the scan says "Try scanning another level.", then the scan is located on a different level. This message may also appear when opening a clue while in standing in Prifddinas or in other non-Gielinor map level areas.
To start the clue, players must first right-click the scroll and select the "Read" option to find out which region they must search in. They must then go to this region and open the scroll's "Scan" interface to automatically scan the region for the correct spot. Upon starting the scan, a blue pulse appear around the player and continually emit pulses.
This blue pulse is extremely helpful for finding the scan's dig spot. They are not affected by elevation difference in the case of Dorgesh-Kaan and Brimhaven Dungeon. They have three stages:
- Low ping (stage 1) - the pulse emits very slowly. Occurs when the player is more than double the scan range away from the clue spot (e.g. more than 28 paces away if the scan covers 14 paces).
- Medium ping (stage 2) - the pulse starts to emit faster (two pings). Occurs when the player more than the scan range but at most double the scan range away from the clue spot (e.g 15–28 paces away if the scan covers 14 paces).
- High ping (stage 3) - the pulse emits very fast pings. Occurs when the player is within range of the scan range of the spot (e.g 0–14 paces away if the scan covers 14 paces).
Using the meerkat familiar will increase the scan range of all scans by 5. This will also be counted in the two ping range (e.g a scan with a range of 10 becomes 15 with meerkats, and the two ping range becomes 30 instead of 20).
When the player is standing in the three-by-three area centered around the exact game square indicated by the arrow they can use a spade to dig up the next clue or casket (a spade on the tool belt can be used by right-clicking Dig on the clue scroll). Alternatively a Meerkat familiar's fetch casket special move can be used.
When manually digging up the clue, there is a chance for a wizard to appear and attack the player. The wizards are fairly easy to dispatch with sufficient combat gear, but if the player does not wish to fight them, then using the Meerkat familiar's Meerkat scroll (Fetch Casket) will completely bypass any potential fights.
- On elite clues, players may fight a level 109 or 119 guthix wizard (109 in the Wilderness, 119 elsewhere)
- On master clues, players may fight a level 105 Cabbagemancer, a level 119 Bandosian wild mage, or a level 119 Armadylean shaman. These monsters are capable of using abilities in combat.
Details of possible locations for each region can be found below. The symbols on the maps represent:
Locations[edit | edit source]
The clue scroll has directions "Darkmeyer".
The clue scroll has directions "Dorgesh-Kaan".
The clue scroll has directions "Falador".
Fremennik Isles (Jatizso and Neitiznot)[edit | edit source]
The clue scroll has directions "Fremennik Isles of Jatizso and Neitiznot".
The clue scroll has directions "Haunted Woods".
The Heart of Gielinor[edit | edit source]
The clue scroll has directions "The Heart of Gielinor".
Isafdar and Lletya[edit | edit source]
The clue scroll has directions "Isafdar and Lletya".
The clue scroll has directions "The Islands That Once Were Turtles".
The clue scroll has directions "Keldagrim".
The clue scroll has directions "Kharazi Jungle".
Eastern Kharidian Desert[edit | edit source]
The clue scroll has directions "The desert, east of the Elid and north of Nardah".
The clue scroll has directions "The caves beneath Lumbridge Swamp".
The clue scroll has directions "Menaphos".
The clue scroll has directions "Mos Le'Harmless".
The clue scroll has directions "Piscatoris Hunter Area".
The clue scroll has directions "Prifddinas".
The clue scroll has directions "Taverley Dungeon".
Varrock and the Grand Exchange[edit | edit source]
The clue scroll has directions "Varrock and the Grand Exchange".
Deep Wilderness[edit | edit source]
The clue scroll has directions "Zanaris".
Former locations[edit | edit source]
- Scans for the Chaos Tunnels were removed on 10 July 2017 due to player feedback.
- Scans for White Wolf Mountain were replaced with Menaphos scans in the clue scroll rework on 26 February 2018.
- During the 2018 clue scroll rework all Kharidian Desert scan locations were made to be on the east side of the River Elid and any Kharazi Jungle locations were made to be inside the jungle; those in Herblore Habitat were removed.
Update history[edit | edit source]