Transcript of Above the Lore/Episode 2
Transcript[edit | edit source]
- Mod Osborne: So, welcome to Above the Lore! They've asked us back for a second go. We never thought it was possible. This one is called Future of Funny. I'm going to talk about humour and comedy in RuneScape. I'm Mod Osborne, the senior narrative designer. I'm joined with Mod Liono, who's the developer of A Clockwork Syringe, Thok Journals, and a hilarious challenge system.
- Mod Liono: That's funny for an entirely different reason.
- Mod Osborne: We have Mod Wilson, who developed Let Them Eat Pie, Rocking Out, and an upcoming mystery comedy quest. And Mod Raven, who developed the first Thok Saga, and is now the new emperor of the penguins.
- Mod Osborne: Whenever we talk about RuneScape, we talk about it being funny, but are we actually funny?
- Mod Raven: Yes.
- Mod Osborne: That's solved. Let's move on.
- Mod Wilson: Problem solved!
- Mod Osborne: Devil's Advocate: No.
- Mod Wilson: This whole podcast is about how funny we are, so if you don't think we are, then, well, you know.
- Mod Osborne: But how would you describe our sense of humour?
- Mod Wilson: Just bee boo boo boo beep!
- Mod Wilson: If I was talking to somebody who didn't know RuneScape, however...
- Mod Osborne: Brilliant. That's a perfect example of our humour. So... I would say puns? Pretty heavy on the puns?
- Mod Liono: Yeah.
- Mod Raven: Sarcasm.
- Mod Wilson: I think we could do with more puns. We need more puns and more sarcasm.
- Mod Raven: Yes. There's never enough sarcasm.
- Mod Wilson: Based on conversations around the office and what we were just talking about, our humour is surprisingly clean.
- Mod Osborne: Yes. Would you say there are moments when you've had to tone it down?
- Mod Wilson: Yes.
- Mod Wilson: Quite a great deal.
- Mod Osborne: You say as developed of Let Me Eat Pie.
- Mod Wilson: You want me to go into specific instances? Can we go into specific instances?
- Mod Osborne: If you use codewords.
- Mod Wilson: We're going to bring up poor Mod Wilson. If we're talking about stuck that was removed, there was the long list of meat that was delivered during that quest, and I just slipped in "long pig." For those who haven't played the quest, you need to get some meat from the pet shop owned in Taverley because "oh yeah, I get meat from this guy over in Canifis, he sends me all this stuff, white hair, basilisk, all this other kind of meat." So I put "long pig" in there, which kids Google image search...
[Laughter. Note: Long pig is a slang term for human meat sold as pig meat, often for human consumption.]
- Mod Osborne: There is the question of, obviously, the sixth age. It's all deadly serious, with the gods going around the world. Do you think there's any potential for humour there?
- Mod Raven: I think you need the dark and serious things to balance the humour, because when you have everyone crying, then you go the funnier!
- Mod Osborne: So, we have Marimbo. He's your traditional jumping around, enjoying himself, wedgie-ing you...
- Mod Raven: He's a monkey. You can't really take him seriously.
- Mod Wilson: It doesn't have to be completely dark humour. In the Demon Summoning D&D. There's demons turning up to Mod Ravenage the world with fire and brimstone, but we still managed to inject some humour into the monks with puns in the names. And of course, the bit about herbatism (sp?), hello again Mod Wilson, I know you're laughing about that one. There's going to be a lot of people, with visions, and we can poke fun at them.
- Mod Osborne: You're taking over other people's funny quests. I know that Mod Raven, you've taken over the penguins from Nancy, and Mod Liono has taken over from Mr. Mod Wilson, the pirates. So, do you find it difficult to channel the humour of other people? Do you channel the humour of other people?
- Mod Liono: I just checked it all out. It's enough to smash it all out. No, I've built a pretty good platform to run from, to be honest. After Rocking Out, I was like "What's happened here? Oh, absolutely everything that can't be explained, so I have free reign to do what I want."
- Mod Osborne: You can't get much more abstract than that. The seagulls... and Barrelchests.
- Mod Liono: Yeah. Had to bring all those backs.
- Mod Osborne: So you did a cross-dressing zombie.
- Mod Liono: Yeah...
- Mod Wilson: It's what I would have wanted. I did leave that big, long list of notes. And then... "You know that seagull you fired at people? He's a person, and he has a funny name."
- Mod Liono: "Here's all the intricate details of what I have planned. Robert, can I use that seagull? I don't care if you use it. Alright, I'm going to use that seagull and make a quest that has that seagull in it." And that's where Clockwork Syringe came from.
- Mod Osborne: So, do you two wrestle to find out who does the next Pirate quest?
- Mod Wilson: No.
[Laughter. Some inaudible speaking.]
- Mod Wilson: The other kind of humour that I like is humour at our player's expense, funnily enough, which was in Clockwork Syringe as well. There's a spoiler coming for people who haven't played it yet. At the start of the quest, you get a package delivered to your played-owned house and a Barrelchest comes out and smashes millions and millions of hours for a lot of players. The best response I ever had to the quest was someone writing on their blog about how upset they were and how they'd quit their account until the estate agent came and put it all back in place.
- Mod Osborne: You troll.
- Mod Wilson: It's the best thing that ever happened, to be honest.
- Mod Osborne: That is outrageous.
- Mod Raven: But brilliant!
- Mod Wilson: Everything else is Mod Raveny now, so I sat there, creasing up lately.
- Mod Osborne: I'm sure the majority of our player base loved it as well. Just like all those players love our April Fool's jokes.
- Mod Osborne: Absolutely loved them.
- Mod Liono: Or the ones who completely get it and don't run around selling all of their things screaming, "Aie! The economy is falling!"
- Mod Osborne: I'm going to ask some individual questions. Mod Raven, how would you describe the penguin quests?
- Mod Raven: Insane. They're filled with spoofs/homages of lots of movie and pop culture references, and I'm dumb enough to give you Nancy Way. [Transcriber Note: The last part of the sentence was spoken too softly to be audible. It may be assumed to be a reference to Mod Nancy, who previously handled the penguin quests.]
- Mod Osborne: Yeah.
- Mod Raven: So crazy and sarcastic and full of randomness, which I approve of.
- Mod Osborne: Yes! So can we expect more penguin quests?
- Mod Raven: If I got to write the schedule, there'd be loads!
- Mod Osborne: I always imagined that the penguins would keep going. They're not the sort of people who have an endpoint.
- Mod Raven: I think there's a potential way to ramp up the storyline...
- Mod Osborne: The world invasion.
- Mod Raven: ...but there's more you can write.
- Mod Osborne: There are more things to parody. As soon as you run out of things to parody...
- Mod Raven: I think then we have a problem. I think we have a good deal of time before that.
- Mod Osborne: I was watching Olympus Has Fallen quite recently, the invasion of the White House, and I was thinking, "I could see penguins in this."
- Mod Osborne: I'm replacing everything with penguins. I'm getting penguin responses.
- Mod Raven: I'm not seeing it yet, but I'm sure we could put penguins in it.
- Mod Liono: Could we take over Lumbridge Castle with a whole bunch of these penguins? I can't think of any place which we could consider secure enough that a bunch of penguins...
- Mod Osborne: Grand Exchange!
- Mod Wilson: Let's take their Grand Exchange away...
- Mod Liono: So we run into this weird surreal humour thing of "I can't see anywhere in the game which is secure enough were a bunch of penguins taking this over would be a cause for alarm, but if a bunch of penguins took over anything, it would be a cause for alarm."
- Mod Osborne: True.
- Mod Raven: I think the disturbing part is that until you said that, my brain went, "Oh, there's no cause for alarm. It's perfectly normal for banks to be taken over by penguins."
- Mod Osborne: It's going to be coming around house again. We're going to repeat Lewis's trick. [Transcriber Note: Referring to the Barrelchest Mk. II in Clockwork Syringe.]
- Mod Raven: Could do...
- Mod Liono: For real, we'll burn down the altar and flood the dungeon...
- Mod Osborne: I've got to say, this is why none of you are in charge.
- Mod Liono: I've got to say, my convictions in this case are probable...
- Mod Osborne: Just to make it clear, we're not working on a penguin quest at the moment, are we?
- Mod Raven: No.
- Mod Osborne: I think all of us would love to, but we have stuff we need to do for the Sixth Age. And on that subject, do you think they can fit into the Sixth Age? Do you want them to?
- Mod Raven: I would love to try and write something with penguins in the Sixth Age. I think it would be a marvelous idea. I'd love to see them...
- Mod Osborne: Stacking on top of each other to try and make a god. Or a junkyard.
- Mod Raven: Or try to steal Guthix's body- Spoiler!
- Mod Osborne: That spoiler came milliseconds before you said it.
- Mod Raven: After the spoiler. Or try to drive off his body to try to build some sort of penguin Death Star.
- Mod Osborne: But there's also value in stories that don't go into the Sixth Age. Sometimes you want something a bit more down to earth..
- Mod Raven: I don't think penguins are down-to-earth.
- Mod Osborne: Bad example.
- Mod Wilson: Well, they can't fly.
- Mod Raven: Yet! But with harnessing Guthix's energy, maybe they can!
- Mod Osborne: Do you have plans for them?
- Mod Raven: There are a few things I'd like to visit with the penguins, but I won't discuss them now for spoiler reasons. I'm very good at spoilers.
- Mod Osborne: Are we going to Acheron?
- Mod Raven: I'd love to! I've love to go to Acheron. Even maybe explore the Motherland.
- Mod Liono: The Motherland!
- Mod Osborne: And tie up all the seal versus penguin versus polar bear... Is that the story you see being told at the moment, or is it the Larry store?
- Mod Raven: I think all of them mix together. Larry's part of the story. I don't know if he's the main part of it.
- Mod Osborne: I mean, he's got a family story to tell. I mean, spoiler.
- Mod Raven: Yeah, spoiler.
- Mod Osborne: Such a good father!
- Mod Raven: I'd like to explore that! I've also love to explore that as part of something bigger because I think you can work in something nice and something suitably silly. There are some lovely films we can parody, my favourite being Inception, or Finception!
- Mod Osborne: That was awful.
- Mod Liono: Penguins don't even have fins.
- Mod Osborne: He's right, you know.
- Mod Raven: They have flippers, it's true. Finception doesn't work.
- Mod Osborne: Finception, though.
- Mod Osborne: Mod Liono and Mod Wilson. Describe the pirate quests, go.
- Mod Liono: I think they're the ever-present comic relief in RuneScape. They're not going to take things seriously. They carry on sailing around, getting into balmy hi-jinks.
- Mod Wilson: Although, with the added funniness of... You're doing this stuff with crazy zombie pirates. It's all laughy, jokey, oh-stuff's-happening, and there's a zombie pirate pulling out monks' brains in order to take over their bodies in order to take out an army full of pirates. It's a little bit dark, but we're still having silliness over the top of it. It's probably spreading enough silliness that it doesn't become horrendous when you think about it.
- Mod Osborne: The question most people will have is about the vote...
- Mod Liono: Rigged, clearly.
- Mod Osborne: Sorry, the rigged vote that pirates didn't work. Will we see another pirate quest? To be honest, I could probably answer this as well.
- Mod Liono: I would very much hope so.
- Mod Osborne: I think if we didn't conclude the pirate saga, we'd be in trouble, like if we'd be in trouble if we didn't conclude the gnome saga. We definitely want to do it. This was just to determine what the next one was and have a bit of transparency in seeing what that was. I think your plans, both your plans, for the pirates will still come to... Can you say anything about those plans?
- Mod Liono: There will be a war.
- Mod Wilson: There will hopefully be more underwater sequences.
- Mod Liono: No.
- Mod Osborne: And why not?
- Mod Wilson: That was the whole point of why I put in the brine saber in the first place. It works best underwater, and then I went over to Stellar Dawn, and there were no more underwater bits added. So, I've got my underwater sword...
- Mod Liono: I could do a new underwater dungeon, it's just that I made a better brine saber. So, I completely obsoleted it.
- Mod Liono: Sorry about that. It's a verb. If "google" is a verb, so is obsolete.
- Mod Osborne: I remember answering a question. Maybe last week? About a Leviathan, and whether or not that would get brought into the pirate quests. I believe it was mentioned in previous quests?
- Mod Liono: Uh...
- Mod Osborne: I think it was Gentleman Mallard.
- Mod Liono: Oh, Gentleman Mallard with the large tentacular creature that dragged his ship beyond the water!
- Mod Osborne: Yes! I think you'd like to, wouldn't you?
- Mod Liono: Well, yes I would.
- Mod Raven: Spoilers!
- Mod Osborne: Backing off now.
- Mod Osborne: My personal favourite is 50% Luke.
- Mod Liono: I'd like some kind of minigame where you desperately try to rebuild him against the onset of necrosis. You've got wood, and you've also got body parts of other zombies...
- Mod Osborne: And he's got woodworm.
- Mod Liono: Based on your performance at the end, he could be 75% Luke. 4% Luke, and he's just a log.
- Mod Osborne: For the people who don't know, half wood and half, well, pirate.
- Mod Wilson: He's half witchwood, in fact.
- Mod Osborne: Okay. So, what's gonna happen to Rabid Jack? Become less rabid?
- Mod Wilson: If anything, he's going to become more rapid.
- Mod Liono: Yeah. We've got the graphics team working on a chathead where foam actually sprays out of his mouth, across the screen. That's going to be one of his main attacks, venting foam like some kind of demented pirate-shaped cappuccino machine.
- Mod Osborne: Mod Wilsonston, so you're working on a quest.
- Mod Wilson: Yes.
- Mod Osborne: Which is probably the reason why we're calling this Future of Funny. It's the most abstract quest I've seen in gaming.
- Mod Wilson: Hello, I'm Ton- Mod Wilson. We have clearly never met.
- Mod Osborne: Is there anything you can tell us about it?
- Mod Wilson: It's hopefully going to be funny. I have to say that now because if I say yes, "we're working on the Future of Funny comedy quest" and it falls a bit flat...
- Mod Osborne: We'll have you back in three months' time to apologise to the player.
- Mod Wilson: It's basically going to be a light quest with all the Sixth Age and god content. I was told the theme of the overall quest, and I said, "How is this going to fit into the gods?" I suppose I might as well say pigs. Pigs are going to be involved. I can't give a great deal more than that. I was like, "Is somebody going to get their pig to become a god? Is that how it's going to work? Is Pigzilla going to re-erupt and destroy the land with huge, flaming pork-breath?"
- Mod Osborne: For a bit of background, this was a ten-year passion project from Mod Mark, who had wanted to get this in-game for ten years, and we've always said no.
- Mod Wilson: We've not had the technology until now, but I'd like to say...
- Mod Wilson: We've got the particle emitters, the engine support, the graphics...
- Mod Osborne: Basically, RuneScape 3 was made for this quest.
- Mod Wilson: RuneScape 3 was a necessity for this quest. We couldn't make any kind of moves. I've got a custom engine build... It's leading edge technology right here.
[More hysterical laughter.]
- Mod Osborne: You obviously can't see it but Tony [Mod Wilson] has his sarcasm face on.
- Mod Wilson: Otherwise known as my usual face.
- Mod Osborne: Okay, so those are the individual questions. We do have the quickfire question roulette, grabbed from your questions on the forum. Hopefully you'll recognise some of them. They're a bit penguin-heavy.
- Mod Liono: We'll try and answer them as best as we can.
- Mod Wilson: Won't we, Mod Liono?
- Mod Osborne: Are there any penguins left in the Motherland?
- Mod Raven: Yes.
- Mod Osborne: Are all of the penguins aware of the plans to take over RuneScape and enslave humanity?
- Mod Raven: Not all of them are. It's a very specific group.
- Mod Osborne: So, there's a military group and taking over, and one that's more cuddly.
- Mod Raven: I wouldn't say cuddly. There's the potential for a penguin civil war.
- Mod Osborne: Are we going to see a grand invasion force from the penguins?
- Mod Raven: I'd love to see penguins take over the entire world.
- Mod Osborne: How would you imagine them doing it?
- Mod Raven: Enormous siege penguins.
- Mod Osborne: Battering penguins.
- Mod Liono: An army of penguins from horizon to horizon, just advancing...
- Mod Raven: We've got the enormous mecha penguin, spoiler.
- Mod Osborne: I've got Marlin Owl [Exact word unsure.], waggling.
- Mod Raven: We've got the enormous mecha penguin, spoiler, I did shout it earlier. But there could be more enormous mecha penguins. March them over RuneScape. Crush...
- Mod Osborne: They've been here all along, like War of the Worlds. Like the Ice Mountain.
- Mod Wilson: We could have them come from Ice Mountain. Come up from the ground.
- Mod Liono: We could just spawn a big, long line of penguins at the top of the Wilderness and have them march on south, over and over. Level 500 Death Penguins.
- Mod Osborne: I think that's the Christmas event.
- Mod Osborne: Is there any chance I can see my pet penguin rise to the throne if we depose Pescaling Pax?
- Mod Liono: Not your penguin. Yours is rubbish.
- Mod Raven: Everybody else's, but yours, no.
- Mod Osborne: Pet penguin getting flamed. Oh, burn. Jeez, guys.
- Mod Liono: If it was a better penguin, we wouldn't say these things.
- Mod Raven: But it's that penguin, so it's not good enough.
- Mod Osborne: I'm going to bring this back on topic. Will a person's generic penguin rise to the throne to become the king of all penguins?
- Mod Raven: I'm not going to say. It's one to keep secret.
- Mod Osborne: There's no doubt the choice would be an element.
- Mod Raven: Oh, it's always going to be an element.
- Mod Osborne: Was Palingrad the greatest city of penguins?
- Mod Raven: Yeah, it's the big penguin city in the Motherland.
- Mod Osborne: How does this differ from Acheron and the Motherland?
- Mod Raven: Acheron is the continent. The Motherland is part of the continent.
- Mod Osborne: And the iceberg is away from there.
- Mod Raven: Yeah.
- Mod Osborne: Is the PescalMod Lionon the true and forgotten king of the penguins?
- Mod Raven: I'm not sure king is the right word...
- Mod Wilson: Queen?
- Mod Raven: No...
- Mod Osborne: Emperor?
- Mod Raven: Yeah, emperor! He's certainly the king when they come to the penguins.
- Mod Osborne: Are we going to release a pirate and gnome quest? Yes to both of them.
- Mod Osborne: Could we see a sequel to the monkey series? This is one from me. If you've been watching the videos for the pirates, gnomes, and dwarves, you'll know that Mod Liono wanted to steal monkeys to include in one of the videos.
- Mod Liono: Crossover!
- Mod Osborne: There is every intention to do more in the Monkey series, mainly because they have a god I want to talk about. Or we want to talk about. The notion of having Marimbo is a ground one, representing something none of the other gods do. Have fun. Enjoy yourself. Throw around your poo.
- Mod Osborne: That's what that god is about!
- Mod Liono: New minigame!
- Mod Wilson: Like I said, we have the technology! We are working on it right now!
- Mod Liono: Leading-edge technology!
- Mod Osborne: I was waiting for that moment.
- Mod Osborne: This is for you two. Rabid Jack jumped overboard with a small chest. Pretty harsh on Rabid Jack there. Was this chest of any importance?
- Mod Liono: Lunchbox! Tuna sandwiches! Mum made them!
- Mod Wilson: He doesn't go anywhere without them.
- Mod Liono: It's his secondary attack, when he's not foaming at you, he's firing lunchboxes at you with his giant lunchbox cannon.
- Mod Osborne: Wow.
- Mod Raven: Spoiler alert!
- Mod Osborne: Right...
- Mod Osborne: Well, are the pirates on the Lady Zay by Lunar Island in any way connected with the pirates of Mos'Le Harmless.
- Mod Wilson: They wish.
- Mod Liono: Rubbish!
- Mod Osborne: They have a big ship.
- Mod Wilson: I don't think there is a bigger ship.
- Mod Liono: If you think about geography, it's in quite a small lagoon. They can't really go anywhere. They're rubbish pirates, honest.
- Mod Osborne: I'm sure they can get out.
- Mod Liono: They're run aground.
- Mod Wilson: They're like some dude in a paddling pool, saying "Look at me. I'm an admiral."
- Mod Wilson: They have a little pedallo and a hat, going around in little circles, saying, "Look at me! I'm commander of this fleet!"
- Mod Osborne: I've lost a little of respect for them.
- Mod Liono: A rich kid is the pool boss, saying "Out of the pool! This is my pool! My pool!"
- Mod Wilson: "Admiral says you all have to get out of the pool! Isn't that right, second lieutenant Ducky, quack, quack?"
- Mod Osborne: What a way to end. Thank you very much for joining us. Next we will be talking about Ozan, Owen, and Ariane. We'll be talking with Mod Rowley, Mod John A and Mod Stu.
- Mod Wilson: Any anonymity they had is completely destroyed.
- Mod Osborne: They'll all be fine. Those are he developers of the Ozan, Owen, and Ariane quests.
- Mod Liono: Join us in two weeks when we discuss the passing of those three mods, having been murdered in rapid fans.
- Mod Osborne: Now for your favourite part, the Chaos Elemental Hint. "The 49th c and legacy gets the first word, she returns to play a big part, but gets glossed around." I hope you enjoyed it, and goodbye.
|Above the Lore|