Transcript of A Cloud on the Horizon
- Shanao: (mumble)
- The Tengu: Calm down, Shanao. I’m asking!
- Player: No need to ask, Sojobo – you have use of my boats. Just tell me, where are you headed?
- The Tengu: We require passage to the Pearl Fortress. Once there, Shanao can fly us up to Haka-su. It sits on a peak of the mountain overlooking the fortress.
- Player: What’s there?
- The Tengu: It’s the final nesting place of the sky orphans, along with their collected knowledge and... ...the Fenghuang Feathers. They are said to have been plucked from the great leaders of the sky orphans, and are imbued with their power. Just one feather would give Benkei the power of flight, and would allow him to control the spirits of the sky orphans - perhaps even Shanao too! We must stop Benkei. If he succeeds, I fear he will not stop at the seasingers, and the Purists would be quick to back his success. Anarchy would fall over Wushanko, and all non-humans would be in danger.
- Player: Very well – may the winds be in your favour.
- Player: Did you manage to stop Benkei?
- The Tengu: Yes...and no. When we arrived, Benkei was already in flight, carried aloft by the feather. You should have seen Shanao soar, straight at him! I was so proud.
- Shanao: (mumble)
- The Tengu: We fought in the skies, on and around the mountaintops…even on the walls of the Pearl Fortress. The Death Lotus stood watching us in awe. But our fight, it was the stuff of legend! Benkei's tetsu club raining blow after blow, my Gu katana slicing and dicing. It was a fight worthy of the gods - you know, if we had any here.
- Player: But you defeated him?
- The Tengu: Eventually. We managed to snatch the feather from him. We were a long way up at the time - he would have had a long time to think about his failure on the way down... ...but this old goose surprised me with a show of mercy. We dived after him, catching him at the last second and swooping him to safety. And it was just as well that we did...
- Player: What happened?
- The Tengu: Benkei was shamed by our mercy, and swore a life debt to us. He revealed he had been working for another all along - a man named Kakashi.
- Player: And this Kakashi?
- The Tengu: Long gone...and with the rest of the Fenghuang Feathers! I fear we have not yet reached the end of this plot.