A Town crier is an NPC found in several areas across RuneScape. They talk about Player moderators and Rules of Conduct and also give good tips.
According to the Varrock Census in the library, the name of the Varrock town crier is Gryff Aldock.
Players can know they are near one if they have sound on by the bell ring they make.
When a player moderator in-game talks to a town crier, they have access to a few more questions to ask and their guidelines.
The Town crier in East Ardougne is one of the NPCs with whom you can start the Ardougne Tasks and will give you the Ardougne cloak 2 as a reward for completing the medium tasks. If you lose the cloak, you can talk to him for another.
- East Ardougne - in the market; this one can be helpful to players stealing cakes from the baker in Ardougne as he gets in the way of the guards and keeps the player safe.
- Seers' Village - near the bank
- Draynor Village - in the market
- Falador - near the west bank
- Varrock - near the east bank, next to the dummy place, and the park (called Gryff Aldock, according to the Varrock Census of 160)
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 7 September 2015 (Update):
- The volume of the Town Crier's bell has been reduced.
- patch 3 July 2013 (Update):
- Town criers no longer refer to the non-existent advisor system.
- patch 3 December 2009 (Update):
- Adjusted the town crier chat.
- patch 9 June 2009 (Update):
- Typos have been fixed in various places, including Agility messages, the Town Crier and the Missing my Mummy quest.
- patch 2 June 2009 (Update):
- Improved the Town crier's calls.
- The town crier has 2 animations along with walking. One of them he rings the bell, the second he appears to be adjusting his hat and scratching his head. The order he does the animations is completely random.
- The town crier also seems to be one of the few NPCs who is aware that RuneScape is a "computer game," as he says "...go to the website for more information." This is an example of a character "breaking the fourth wall".
- When asked about player moderators and then how to become one, the crier's final suggestion is "Be excellent to each other!" This is a reference to Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.
- The Varrock town crier has a gravestone in the New Varrock graveyard which reads "Gryff Aldock. Town crier. Killed at Lord Zemouregal's command (he likes his lie-ins)."
- During the Port Sarim Invasion, the town criers occasionally cried: "Pirates have launched a raid on Port Sarim's jail! The prison guards are calling for support!"
- After the release of Archaeology, the town criers occasionally cried: "Interested in wealth, power, fame and stories? Join the Archaeology Guild, found to the east of the Varrock lodestone."