A tortle is a Hunter creature which is found both on Whale's Maw and in groups of nine on the Uncharted Isles. 90 Hunter (which can be boosted) and a tortle trap is required to catch them, available for free at the Torts R Us shop run by 'Reggie' (tortle shell merchant) on Waiko. They cannot be caught using protean traps.
When caught, they drop shell chippings, which can be used to make a Tortle shell bowl. Tortles may also rarely drop a taijitu and chimes when caught. It is possible to catch an unlimited number of tortles. At level 99 Hunter a player can gain around 261,000 experience and 890 chimes an hour from hunting tortles. Using an enhanced yaktwee stick and the hunter's outfit players may gain around 290,000 experience an hour. Using the Sliske's Endgame rewards (Ring of Whispers, Combined Catalyst fragment and Necklace of Shadows) with the above will further boost this to around 400,000 experience an hour.
Their higher-tiered counterpart, the ornate tortles, can yield a much higher rate of experience per hour, but require at least 96 Hunter to capture. Tortle colonies on Uncharted Isles may occasionally spawn an ornate tortle.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 6 February 2017 (Update):
- The contract board behind Sojobo in Waiko previously skipped contracts that could only be completed on permanent islands. This has been adapted to also block contracts for low-tier resources found on authored islands (such as non-golden bamboo, sea salt, berries and non-ornate tortles).
- patch 12 December 2016 (Update):
- Animation timings for placing and checking tortle traps have been shortened slightly. Hunting tortles should now feel closer to box-trapping.
- patch 17 October 2016 (Update):
- Tortles on uncharted isles now have a reduced wander range, preventing overlapping and collision issues.
- patch 15 August 2016 (Update):
- Ornate tortles will now respawn instead of normal tortles when ornate tortles are caught, if the two species are on the same island.
- Tortle is a portmanteau of "tortoise" and "turtle".
- When you receive a shell chippings, a filterable message says "The tortle escapes into the sand, but you find some shell chippings in the trap."
- When you receive a chime, a filterable message says "The tortle unearthed a chime in the sand!"
- When you receive a taijitu, a filterable message says "The tortle unearthed a rare taijitu in the sand!"