The tool belt is a utility belt available to all players that can be accessed in the Worn Equipment screen. It allows players to carry and access basic tools at any time without taking up space in their inventory. It was released on 6 December 2011 along with the Money pouch.
Items can be added to the tool belt by right-clicking on an item while it is in the player's inventory and selecting the Add-to-tool belt option. All non-quest items are automatically added to a players tool belt. Once the items are added, they remain there permanently (with the exception of pickaxes and mattocks) and therefore cannot be retrieved. Upon death, all items in the tool belt are kept. This is true even if the player dies in the Wilderness.
Because of the tool belt, players are now able to click on resources instead of having to use a tool on the resource. For example, players can click on a log to light it instead of using a tinderbox on every individual log. Alternatively, right-clicking on a log gives a list of other possible actions that can be used with the log.
Except for hatchets, only tools that the player has the required level to use them can be added to the tool belt. If an added hatchet has a level requirement higher than the current level, it will function as the highest levelled variant the player is able to use. Dragon or crystal tools will function as a rune version on a free-to-play world. It is impossible to add a members-only tool to the tool belt on a free world.
Completely filling up the tool belt unlocks the title [Name] the Tool. When new tools are released, the title is relocked until the player adds the tools to their toolbelt.
Items that can be stored[edit | edit source]
- See Category:Tool belt for a list of all items that can be added to the tool belt.
There are currently 74 item slots in the tool belt divided into 7 categories.
Augmented tools (pickaxes, hatchets, fishing rods, etc.) cannot be stored on the tool belt; players who wish to augment their tools for use with perks will have to wield the item or keep it in their inventory.
- ^ This part of the tool belt was released on 8 June 2015.
- ^ Regular explosive shaker is sufficient to obtain the title.
- ^ a b c d e These functions require additional 500 slayer points each to unlock and also have an interface for settings (their effects can be disabled).
- ^ This part of the tool belt was released on 25 January 2016.
- ^ This part of the tool belt was released on 30 March 2020.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Once an item is added to the tool belt, actions that would normally require the player to use a tool on something become options on the item to be manipulated. For example, once a tinderbox is added to the tool belt, a player can right-click a log and choose the Light option. Be careful left-clicking craftable items like unicorn horns as this could lead to a player's character performing an action the player did not intend.
In the event that a player has a stored pickaxe or hatchet, but has another pickaxe or hatchet in their inventory or wielded (and has the level to use both), the better tool will be used. For example, cutting wood with a dragon hatchet in the tool belt and an inferno adze wielded will use the adze, while mining with a dragon pickaxe in the tool belt and adze wielded will use the dragon pickaxe.
A sextant added to a tool belt may be used by opening the interface and right clicking it or by right clicking a clue scroll in the player's inventory.
Restricted usages and bugs[edit | edit source]
- The items on the normal tool belt cannot be used in Dungeoneering. On 11 April 2012 a second tool belt was added for use inside Daemonheim, containing all the tools used there, including an upgradable novite pickaxe and hatchet.
- The Tools in the tool belt cannot be used with many quest items such as the lighthouse in Horror from the Deep, the Bone Key from Shilo Village, lighting the Ceremonial Brazier in Lunar Diplomacy and digging up saplings in Meeting History.
- Spades stored on tool belts cannot be used for digging at the ground. They only work on objects with a dig or harvest option. It also doesn't work for the vine flower, bush and fruit tree patches at Herblore Habitat, as the right-click "Clear" option only appears when the crops are fully grown. At one time, it couldn't be used for Treasure Trails, but this was fixed and you can now dig with it by right-clicking the scroll.
- When chopping down an Evil tree with a loaned dragon hatchet, you will use the tool belt bronze hatchet instead.
- The spade in the tool belt cannot be used to add fuel to the Blast Furnace, because gathering coke turns a spade into a different item (spadeful of coke). There is however a spade spawn nearby.
- It is important to remember that all items except for pickaxes and mattocks stored in the belt remain there permanently and therefore cannot be retrieved. Think carefully about whether you want them available for later (such as for combat or trade) before you store them on your tool belt.
- Dragon and crystal hatchets can be removed and augmented by Doc. Doing so also causes the respective slot in your tool belt to be filled with the augmented hatchet. This can however only be done once.
- You must have a free inventory space to add a new tool to the tool belt, even if no item will come off it (e.g. adding a rune pickaxe to the tool belt cannot be done with a full inventory, even though the default bronze pickaxe is not removed into the inventory).
- Players with the ability to catch fish bare-handed can toggle whether or not they wish to use a harpoon on their tool belt from their Gathering Skills settings.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Get Tooled Up ( 20) – Fill up your toolbelt.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 7 September 2020 (Update):
- patch 18 May 2020 (Update):
- Players will no longer be able to remove items with combat stats from their tool belts while on Entrana.
- patch 27 April 2020 (Update):
- Updated the information about Archaeology tools on the Tool Belt interface.
- patch 20 April 2020 (Update):
- patch 18 November 2019 (Update):
- Bronze pickaxes no longer get added to tool-belt whilst already having one.
- patch 21 October 2019 (Update):
- patch 9 September 2019 (Update):
- Attempting to add a lent pickaxe to the toolbelt will no longer remove the current pickaxe from the toolbelt.
- patch 1 July 2019 (Update):.
- You can no longer remove items from your toolbelt whilst in the duel arena.
- Fixed toolbelt scrollbar slider so it now visually appears properly.
- Update): 4 February 2019 (
- patch 28 January 2019 (Update):
- patch 21 January 2019 (Update):
- patch 14 January 2019 (Update):
- patch 7 January 2019 (Update):
- You can add and remove any pickaxe (except bronze and augmented) from the toolbelt.
- ninja 24 September 2018 (Update):
- The key ring now appears on the toolbelt, allowing players to store keys on their toolbelted key ring.
- patch 10 September 2018 (Update):
- ninja 3 April 2018 (Update):
- A permanent grappling hook can now be made with a Mithril crossbow, 5 Mithril bars, and a Mithril grapple. This can be added to the toolbelt.
- The toolbelt interface has been updated and reworked. The main focus of the update is to provide more useful information to the player as well as to better future proof the belt for additional items.
- ninja 5 February 2018 (Update):
- patch 4 December 2017 (Update):
- The noose wand is now listed as a non-member tool in the tool belt.
- The tool totals in the tool belt have been corrected to 30 on free worlds.
- hotfix 13 November 2017 (Update):
- ninja 9 October 2017 (Update):
- patch 12 September 2016 (Update):
- ninja 26 May 2015 (Update):
- ninja 13 April 2015 (Update):
- patch 2 February 2015 (Update):
- patch 24 November 2014 (Update):
- ninja 1 July 2014 (Update):
- It is now possible to close the tool belt interface with the 'escape' key.
- patch 13 January 2014 (Update):
- An issue where the tool belt would display as null in certain situations has been fixed.
- patch 9 July 2013 (Update):
- patch 24 June 2013 (Update):
- patch 9 April 2013 (Update):
- Spells in the Ability Book are now updated when selecting keys on the Tool belt.
- patch 19 June 2012 (Update):
- References to the tool belt all now consistently use "tool belt" rather than "toolbelt".
- patch 13 March 2012 (Update):
- Players' toolbelts will now be filled with all non-quest items on logging in.
- patch 4 January 2012 (Update):
- patch 20 December 2011 (Update):
- patch 13 December 2011 (Update):
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On the day of release a new task, Shear Convenience was added into the beginner Lumbridge achievements to introduce the tool belt to players. It gave a reward of 500 experience, making it one of the biggest rewards for a beginner task. This task was later removed.
- With the addition of the tool belt, many inventory space saver items became much less useful, for example the dwarven army axe and the quest kit. The later update which allowed storage of stronger tools in the tool belt made many of these items obsolete. These items include but are not limited to the small cast net, big cast net, barb-tail harpoon, and golden hammer.
- A hammer stored on a tool belt can be used to open the Bandos door in the God Wars Dungeon.
- Initially, only the bronze pickaxe and hatchet could be added to the belt, making the tool belt unsuitable for use in training Woodcutting and Mining at higher levels. After 17 June 2013, the ability to add pickaxes and hatchets all the way up to dragon was added.
- The player talks to themselves during Violet is Blue about its convenience, spelling it as "toolbelt".
References[edit | edit source]