The tool belt is a utility belt available to all players that can be accessed in the Worn Equipment screen. It allows players to carry and access basic tools at any time without taking up space in their inventory. It was released on 6 December 2011 along with the Money pouch.
Items can be added to the tool belt by right-clicking on an item while it is in the player's inventory and selecting the Add-to-tool belt option. All non-quest items are automatically added to a players tool belt. Once the items are added, they remain there permanently (with the exception of pickaxes) and therefore cannot be retrieved. Upon death, all items in the tool belt are kept. This is true even if the player dies in the Wilderness.
Because of the tool belt, players are now able to click on resources instead of having to use a tool on the resource. For example, players can click on a log to light it instead of using a tinderbox on every individual log. Alternatively, right-clicking on a log gives a list of other possible actions that can be used with the log.
If an added tool has a level requirement higher than the current level, it will function as the highest levelled variant the player is able to use. Likewise dragon or crystal tools will function as a rune version on a free-to-play world. It is impossible to add a members-only tool to the tool belt on a free world.
Completely filling up the tool belt unlocks the title [Name] the Tool. When new tools are released, the title is relocked until the player adds the tools to their toolbelt.
Items that can be stored[edit | edit source]
There are currently 65 item slots in the tool belt divided into 6 categories.
Augmented tools (pickaxes, hatchets, fishing rods, etc.) cannot be stored on the tool belt; players who wish to augment their tools for use with perks will have to wield the item or keep it in their inventory.
- ^ This part of the tool belt was released on 8 June 2015.
- ^ Regular explosive shaker is sufficient to obtain the title.
- ^ a b c d e These functions require additional 500 slayer points each to unlock and also have an interface for settings (their effects can be disabled).
- ^ This part of the tool belt was released on 25 January 2016.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Once an item is added to the tool belt, actions that would normally require using a tool on an item become options on the item to be manipulated. For example, once a tinderbox is added to the tool belt, a player can right-click a log and choose the Light option. Be careful left-clicking craftable items like Unicorn horns as this could lead to a player's character performing an action the player did not intend.
In the event that a player has a stored pickaxe or hatchet, but has another pickaxe or hatchet in their inventory or wielded (and has the level to use both), the better tool will be used. For example, cutting wood with a dragon hatchet in the tool belt and an inferno adze wielded will use the adze, while mining with a dragon pickaxe in the tool belt and adze wielded will use the dragon pickaxe.
Restricted usages and bugs[edit | edit source]
- The items on the normal tool belt cannot be used in Dungeoneering. On 11 April 2012 a second tool belt was added for use inside Daemonheim, containing all the tools used there, including an upgradable novite pickaxe and hatchet.
- The Tools in the tool belt cannot be used with many quest items such as the lighthouse in Horror from the Deep, the Bone Key from Shilo Village, lighting the Ceremonial Brazier in Lunar Diplomacy and digging up saplings in Meeting History.
- A sextant in the tool belt cannot be used on its own, and is only usable by right clicking on a coordinate clue scroll and choosing the "sextant" option. A standard sextant not added to the belt can be used as normal, even if there is already a sextant on the tool belt.
- Spades stored on tool belts cannot be used for digging at the ground. They only work on objects with a dig or harvest option. It also doesn't work for the vine flower, bush and fruit tree patches at Herblore Habitat, as the right-click "Clear" option only appears when the crops are fully grown. At one time, it couldn't be used for Treasure Trails, but this was fixed and you can now dig with it by right-clicking the scroll.
- When chopping down an Evil tree with a loaned dragon hatchet, you will use the tool belt bronze hatchet instead.
- The spade in the tool belt cannot be used to add fuel to the Blast Furnace, because gathering coke turns a spade into a different item (Spadeful of coke). There is however a spade spawn nearby.
- It is important to remember that all items except for pickaxes stored in the belt remain there permanently and therefore cannot be retrieved. Think carefully about whether you want them available for later (such as for combat or trade) before you store them on your tool belt.
- The harpoon cannot be used from the tool belt if you have the ability to catch fish barehanded. Therefore you cannot fish for Swordfish without an actual harpoon in your inventory if you don't meet the requirements to catch them barehanded.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Get Tooled Up ( 20) – Fill up your toolbelt.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 18 November 2019 (Update):
- Bronze pickaxes no longer get added to tool-belt whilst already having one.
- patch 21 October 2019 (Update):
- Fixed an issue where the user wasn't being asked for a bank pin while trying to add/remove pickaxe from the tool belt.
- patch 9 September 2019 (Update):
- Attempting to add a lent pickaxe to the toolbelt will no longer remove the current pickaxe from the toolbelt.
- patch 1 July 2019 (Update):.
- You can no longer remove items from your toolbelt whilst in the duel arena.
- Fixed toolbelt scrollbar slider so it now visually appears properly.
4 February 2019 (
- Hatchets can once again be added to the tool belt without having the Attack level required to wield them.
- patch 28 January 2019 (Update):
- All players upon login will now have the tong slot on their toolbelt automatically unlocked as it is no longer available from the Artisans Workshop.
- patch 21 January 2019 (Update):
- Players will no longer be able to remove pickaxes from their toolbelt while in New Varrock.
- patch 14 January 2019 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to attempt to store pickaxes on your toolbelt in free to play worlds if you have a member's only pickaxe already stored.
- When having a high-level members pickaxe on your toolbelt on F2P, when mining, this will now default to runite.
- patch 7 January 2019 (Update):
- You can add and remove any pickaxe (except bronze and augmented) from the toolbelt.
- ninja 24 September 2018 (Update):
- The key ring now appears on the toolbelt, allowing players to store keys on their toolbelted key ring.
- patch 10 September 2018 (Update):
- ninja 3 April 2018 (Update):
- A permanent grappling hook can now be made with a Mithril crossbow, 5 Mithril bars, and a Mithril grapple. This can be added to the toolbelt.
- The toolbelt interface has been updated and reworked. The main focus of the update is to provide more useful information to the player as well as to better future proof the belt for additional items.
- ninja 5 February 2018 (Update):
- Players no longer need to select the 'needle' option on the toolbelt when attempting to craft dragonhides.
- hotfix 13 November 2017 (Update):
- Coins are now consistently dropped when a gold accumulator is placed in the tool belt and disabled.
- patch 12 September 2016 (Update):
- The confirmation window for Doc augmenting a toolbelt pickaxe now correctly refers to the rune replacement as a pickaxe.
- ninja 26 May 2015 (Update):
- Players may now upgrade the machete on their tool belt with gem-bladed machetes.
- The Seed dibber icon on the tool belt has been updated to match the recently updated inventory model.
- ninja 13 April 2015 (Update):
- Players can now add the magic watering can and magic secateurs to their tool belt.
- patch 2 February 2015 (Update):
- The hyphen between the option 'Add to tool belt' has been removed for all objects that are part of the tool belt, to keep consistency with hatchets and pickaxes.
- patch 24 November 2014 (Update):
- Players who gilded a pickaxe in their tool belt then added a crystal pickaxe will no longer have a gilded bronze pickaxe shown in the tool belt interface.
- patch 19 June 2012 (Update):
- References to the tool belt all now consistently use "tool belt" rather than "toolbelt".
- patch 13 March 2012 (Update):
- Players' toolbelts will now be filled with all non-quest items on logging in.
- patch 4 January 2012 (Update):
- patch 20 December 2011 (Update):
- Some disabled toolbelt images have been made darker to distinguish between the disabled and enabled states.
- It is now possible to clear a fruit tree patch using a spade in the toolbelt.
- patch 13 December 2011 (Update):
- Machetes stored in a toolbelt now work correctly with jungle plants south of Shilo Village.
- The ammo mould from Dwarf Cannon can no longer be added to the toolbelt until the quest has been completed. Nulodian will issue replacements even if the mould is in a player’s toolbelt.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On the day of release a new task, Shear Convenience was added into Lumbridge/Draynor Beginner Tasks to introduce the tool belt to players. It gave a reward of 500 experience, making it one of the biggest rewards for a beginner task.
- With the addition of the tool belt, many inventory space saver items became much less useful, for example the dwarven army axe and the quest kit. The later update which allowed storage of stronger tools in the tool belt made many of these items obsolete. These items include but are not limited to: Small cast net, Big cast net, Barb-tail harpoon, Golden hammer.
- A hammer stored on a tool belt can be used to open the Bandos door in the God Wars Dungeon.
- Initially, only the bronze pickaxe and hatchet could be added to the belt, making the tool belt unsuitable for use in training Woodcutting and Mining at higher levels. After 17 June 2013, the ability to add pickaxes and hatchets all the way up to dragon was added.