The tome of frost, also known as the Encyclopaedia Frigoris, is a reward obtained through the Dungeoneering skill. It requires level 48 Magic and level 48 Dungeoneering to use and costs 43,000 Dungeoneering tokens to purchase.
Similar to the staff of water, the tome of frost acts as an infinite stock of water runes. It does not degrade when used. Unlike the staff of water, which is two-handed, the tome of frost is wielded in the off-hand slot. It can be useful for casting spells that use water runes, such as ice spells. However, spending 43,000 tokens to buy a tome which increases magic damage less than a mystic orb may be an undesirable purchase for combat use, even with the unlimited stock of water runes.
Wielding the tome also reduces the damage taken from desert heat to about 12.5% of the damage without it. It does not replace waterskins or an enchanted water tiara, nor does it extend their supply as a supplement to desert clothing, but the damage is sufficiently reduced that players may heal quickly enough to eliminate the need for water. A regen bracelet can completely eliminate the need to use an enchanted water tiara when used with the tome.
Desert heat damage will average around 34 damage (100 hit average), making auto regeneration outheal heat damage starting from level 68 Constitution (6740 life points).
As the Avernic wand provides unlimited air runes, it is possible to cast water-based combat spells at no rune cost when it's paired with the tome.
The tome of frost is automatically kept on death outside of dangerous PvP areas.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 20 July 2015 (Update):
- The tome of frost now sits in the player's hand correctly.
- ninja 1 June 2015 (Update):
- The "Dying of thirst" message spam has been reduced while wearing a tome of frost in the desert.
- update 21 April 2010 (Update):
- Dungeoneering reward items have had their costs reduced to a more suitable amount. Anyone who has already bought any of these items will find they have been refunded the difference in reward tokens.
- The tome of frost used to cost 70,000 Dungeoneering tokens before the 21 April 2010 update.