The tome of frost, also known as the Encyclopaedia Frigoris, is a reward obtained through the Dungeoneering skill. It requires level 48 Magic and level 48 Dungeoneering to use.
Similar to the staff of water, the tome of frost acts as an infinite stock of water runes. Unlike the staff of water, which is two-handed, the tome of frost is wielded in the off-hand slot. This can be useful when using fighting with a high level wand, as your attack speed is doubled compared to the staff of water. It is even more useful for casting ice spells when using the Ancient Magicks.
The tome of frost never degrades, which makes it useful for mages using water spells. However, spending 43,000 Dungeoneering tokens to buy a tome of frost, which has less accuracy than the mystic orb, may be an undesirable purchase, even with the unlimited stock of water runes.
Following the release of the Avernic wand, it is possible to cast water-based combat spells at no rune cost. It was previously possible to do this only in Daemonheim.
Since 4 October 2011 wielding the tome of frost reduces the damage taken from desert heat to about 12.5% of the damage without it. It does not replace waterskins or an enchanted water tiara, nor does it extend their supply as a supplement to desert clothing, but the damage is sufficiently reduced that players may heal quickly enough to eliminate the need for water. A regen bracelet can completely eliminate the need to use an enchanted water tiara when used with the tome, saving a large sum of water runes.
Desert heat damage will average around 34 damage (100 hit average), making the players auto regeneration outheal this damage starting from level 68 Constitution (6740 life points).
The tome of frost is automatically kept on death outside of dangerous PvP areas.
This list was created dynamically. For help, see the FAQ
To force an update of this list, click here
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 20 July 2015 (Update):
- The tome of frost now sits in the player's hand correctly.
- ninja 1 June 2015 (Update):
- The "Dying of thirst" message spam has been reduced while wearing a tome of frost in the desert.
- update 21 April 2010 (Update):
- Dungeoneering reward items have had their costs reduced to a more suitable amount. Anyone who has already bought any of these items will find they have been refunded the difference in reward tokens.
- The tome of frost used to cost 70,000 Dungeoneering tokens before the 21 April 2010 update.