Thorvald the Warrior
|Thorvald the Warrior|
|Release date||2 November 2004 (Update)|
|Quest NPC||The Fremennik Trials|
|Examine||A Fremennik hero.|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Thorvald the Warrior is a Fremennik hero in Rellekka, found inside Skulgrimen's Battle Gear. He is a member of the council of elders, a position he earned as one of Rellekka's mightiest warriors. Despite his might, he was not permitted to sit at the Champions Table in the Long Hall due to a lack of space, something he greatly desired. Manni the Reveller was convinced to give up his seat at the table after obtaining a legendary cocktail, giving his token to Thorvald. In exchange for this, Thorvald agreed to act as a bodyguard for Peer the Seer, a task he considered demeaning for one of his skill, much to Peer's amazement.
As a member of the council, he can vouch for Fremennik youths and outlanders to be considered members of the clan. He gives every applicant the same test to prove their worth as warriors and their bravery, a fight to the death against Koschei the Deathless, an immortal warrior. He will vouch for outlanders who defeat Koschei at least three times, regardless if they die the fourth time.
Following the battle against the Dagannoth and 18th Ritual of Rejuvenation, Koschei became troubled, causing Thorvald to seek out the aid of the outlander he spoke up for. The outlander helped Koschei, who turned out to be the Mahjarrat Kharshai. This greatly upset Thorvald, as it meant he could no longer use Koschei in his trial as he was the only one willing to be continuously attacked. He cheered up when the outlander suggested Thorvald himself take over the role, realizing the wisdom in their suggestion and why Peer the Seer vouched for them.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Thorvald's name may come from the Norse explorer Thorvald.
- Thorvald is also a possible Fremennik name for a player.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Thorvald the Warrior, "The Fremennik Trials", RuneScape. "The Fremennik council of elders? Why, of course I am. I am recognised as one of the clans mightiest warriors."
- ^ Thorvald the Warrior, "The Fremennik Trials", RuneScape. "Since I was steeled in battle, I have dreamt of earning my place at the Champions Table in the Long Hall. It is a tradition amongst us that the bravest and strongest are honoured with a table of champions to drink and feast all that they can in our Long Hall. Unfortunately, there are only a fixed number of places available at the table, and these places were all filled many moons ago. Although my worthiness is undeniable, the only way I may take my place is if one of those already there die, or give up their place to me voluntarily."
- ^ Thorvald the Warrior, "The Fremennik Trials", RuneScape. "I can suffer the indignity of playing babysitter if it means that I can then revel with my warrior equals in the Long Hall afterwards!"
- ^ Peer the Seer, "The Fremennik Trials", RuneScape. "You have not only persuaded one of the Fremennik to act as a servant to me, but you have enlisted the aid of mighty Thorvald himself??? You may take this forecast with my blessing outerlander. You have offered me the greatest security I can imagine."
- ^ Thorvald the Warrior, "The Fremennik Trials", RuneScape. "I have a test that I give all Fremenniks on their path to be a member of the clan. My test will challenge both your combat prowess and your bravery equally. Should you pass it you will earn my vote at the council, and more importantly my respect for you as a warrior."
- ^ Thorvald the Warrior, "The Fremennik Trials", RuneScape. "All I asked was that you fought to the death! And you did! The death was your own! I was not interested in how strong you are! I was interested in how BRAVE you are! You fought a superior enemy to your very last breath – THAT is bravery."
- ^ Thorvald the Warrior, "Koschei's Troubles", RuneScape. "Who am I going to get to test the young Fremennik warriors now? No one else will volunteer to be attacked every day!"
- ^ Player character, "Koschei's Troubles", RuneScape. "Maybe you should take his place: dress like him and fight in the trial. Since it is only a test of bravery, you can stop when they have proven themselves."
|Part 1 of the Fremennik quest series|