The third age robe top is a member's only piece of armour that is part of the Third age mage set. To wear the top the player needs at least 65 Defence and 65 Magic. To obtain a third age robe top the player can either complete a Level 3 Treasure trail for a chance at receiving it, trade with another player, or buy it in the Grand Exchange.
It was long thought that the chances of obtaining a piece of third age armour was of about 1 in 10,000 (according to Paul Gower), and in 2010 Mod Maylea stated that the odds are lower than 1 in 100,000. However, a livestream with Mod Simon and James revealed the mechanics of Treasure Trail rewards in detail, meaning the actual chances could be calculated: approximately 1 in 16,896 per item roll for any of the 12 parts of third age equipment, or approximately 1 in 202,752 for a specific part, per item roll - with an average of 5 item rewards per Trail, this gives approximately 1 in 3,380 for any part, or 1 in 40,551 for a specific part, per Trail completed. For a more detailed breakdown of drop mechanics and calculations, see Treasure Trails/Rewards#Hard.
- ^ a b There is further information on this drop; see the associated page for details.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 2 November 2010 (Update):
- The Third Age robe top no longer clips when performing certain actions.
- patch 28 July 2009 (Update):
- The skill guide now talks about Third Age items in a singular sense.
- Updated the model for Third Age armour to not stretch when doing various emotes or riding on a magic carpet.
- Originally, the bonuses of this armour were equivalent to the Infinity top obtained in the Mage Training Arena but were later slightly increased.
- The top suffered a glitch when riding magic carpets - a part of the robe would 'stick' to the ground. This was fixed on 28 July 2009.
- Ever since the warped dungeoneering floors release on 2 November 2010 the third age top appears to have shortened quite dramatically.