The Shield is a region within the Wushanko Isles accessible by the Player-owned port minigame, found far from the West. It is the eighth region opened up by the player advancing through the minigame and gives Azure missions. Not much is known about these far-off islands. Rare koi have been known to congregate in the surrounding waters, and khans send mining expeditions to the islands to find rich veins of minerals and jewels before their rivals. The islands of the Shield are:
- Bladewing Crag - This island is almost entirely unpopulated. Those brave souls who defy this convention contend daily with the indigenous bladewing population.
- Exile's Point - A man could survive on this island - just about - eating raw seabird eggs and sour lemonberries. It is not recommended.
- Isle of Adamant - Adamant is a rare sight in the Eastern Lands; significant deposits on this inhospitable rock give it its name and its wealth.
- Kami-Shima - The island was kept secret and well-hidden by the Ten Gu due to its extremely high levels of magic and anima, which causes it to be the source of the various sea monsters, which are also created from anima. It also acts as the centre force of an energy barrier similar to the Edicts of Guthix which protects the Eastern Lands from the influence of the gods.
- Tengu Archipelago - This island chain is named not for the legendary bird-demons but for ten equally legendary local sages known as the Gu.
- The Faraway Place where Things are Kept - Island is empty except for an entrance to a resource dungeon offering 1 of 2 chests for a random reward.
- The Island that is Blamed for Nothing - Six hundred men and women died exploring this island. All was forgiven when the massive azure lodes were discovered here.
- The Lair of Tavi and Vynal - A jewel of culture within the bleak black rock; it is said that the finest musicians in the East or West can be found here.
Player Controlled Outposts[edit | edit source]
- An Azure mine on Bladewing Crag.
- An Azure mine on the Isle of Adamant.
Player-Owned Port Voyages[edit | edit source]
- In Fossil Hunter the player sends a ship to recover a rare gemstone kaseki - an essential component in crafting seasinger wands and orbs.
- In Cross Guard the player sends a ship to recover a rare Tengu tsuba - an essential component in smithing tetsu katanas and wakizashis.
Allies and Enemies of the Portmaster[edit | edit source]
- An Ardougneese Metallurgist working on the Isle of Adamant, is allied after the player takes her to the island.
- Obsidian Pirates of the Tengu Archipelago, are allied after Sign it in Blood. It is expected that they will betray the player, but they have yet to do so.
- Lanjahn the Slaver, if still alive, is an notorious pirate slaver working out of the Lair of Tavi and Vynal. They player regularly destroys any operations he manages to set up.
- The Sensei of the Ninja Musicians of the Lair of Tavi and Vynal, is allied with during First Contact. She has proven herself to be a valuable ally.
- Khan of the Lair of Tavi and Vynal, after Diplomacy and Explore the Seas, the player helps form trade agreements and alliances of mutual protection with all parties, including themselves.
- Miners on the Island that is Blamed for Nothing, are allied with during Pearls in the East, in which the player sets up an agreement with them, where the miners provide the player with pearls and the players crew protects them.