The Restless Ghost
|The Restless Ghost (#3)|
|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Official description[edit | edit source]
|“||A ghost is haunting Lumbridge graveyard.
The priest of the Lumbridge Church of Saradomin wants you to find out how to get rid of it.
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Father Aereck in the Lumbridge church, east of Lumbridge Castle.|
|Member requirement||Free to play|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat||
Haunting in the Lumbridge cemetery[edit | edit source]
Speak to Father Aereck within Lumbridge Church. He will reveal you that a ghost has been haunting the graveyard south of the church, asks for your assistance in getting rid of it. He advises you to speak to Father Urhney, a ghost expert, who is located within the swamps south of Lumbridge Castle.
Exit the graveyard through the southern exit and follow the path south through the swamp past the Lumbridge south-east mine, and head west towards a small hut near the southern coastline of the swamp.
Requesting assistance[edit | edit source]
Attempt to speak to Father Urhney with the hut. Intially, he will be uncooperative and claim to be meditating. Inform him that Father Aereck sent you to request assistance with getting rid of a ghost, and he will provide you with a ghostspeak amulet. Additionally, he advises that ghosts remain within the world because they have an important task left uncompleted. If the task is completed, you can get rid of the ghost.
Ghostly task[edit | edit source]
Return to the graveyard outside of Lumbridge Church. Open the coffin located within the gated region adjacent to the Catacombs in the Lumbridge graveyard. Equip the ghostspeak amulet and speak with the restless ghost. The ghost reveals that he isn't certain why he hasn't departed, but he thinks it might have to do with his missing skull. He tells you that he was attacked by a warlock while he was mining to the south-west, and that is where his head probably lies. He requests you to retrieve it for him and return it to the coffin.
Retrieving the skull[edit | edit source]
A skeleton warlock (level 7) will spawn when the skull is retrieved; you can either kill it or simply leave the area with the skull.
Return to the coffin within the Lumbridge cemetery and use the muddy skull on the open coffin. A cutscene will ensue, where the ghost will thank you and be released from the world.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 quest point
- 125 experience lamp
- 5 Ancient bones giving 200 experience each
- Ghostspeak amulet
- Access to gravestone upgrades by talking to Father Aereck
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- The Restless Ghost ( 0) – Complete this Novice quest.
- Aereck's Old Bones ( 5) – Claim ancient bones from Father Aereck after 'The Restless Ghost'.
- Lumbridge achievements
- Desert achievements
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
The Restless Ghost is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- Animal Magnetism
- Creature of Fenkenstrain
- Ghosts Ahoy
- Making History
- Nature Spirit
- Smoking Kills
- Spirit of Summer
- The Curse of Zaros
- 'Phite Club
- A Clockwork Syringe
- A Fairy Tale I - Growing Pains
- A Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen
- A Fairy Tale III - Battle at Ork's Rift
- Full completion of Azzanadra's Quest
- Back to my Roots
- Full completion of Battle of the Monolith (miniquest)
- Children of Mah
- City of Senntisten
- Crocodile Tears
- Full completion of Curse of the Black Stone
- Defender of Varrock
- Desert Slayer Dungeon (miniquest)
- Desperate Measures
- Full completion of Desperate Times
- Dimension of Disaster
- Dimension of Disaster: Curse of Arrav
- Dimension of Disaster: Defender of Varrock
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Do No Evil
- Eye of Het I (miniquest)
- Eye of Het II (miniquest)
- Fate of the Gods
- Garden of Tranquillity
- Full completion of Heart of Stone
- Full completion of Hero's Welcome
- Hopespear's Will
- In Aid of the Myreque
- In Memory of the Myreque
- In Search of the Myreque
- Kindred Spirits
- Koschei's Troubles
- Legacy of Seergaze
- Love Story
- Mahjarrat Memories
- Meeting History
- Full completion of Missing My Mummy
- Full completion of Missing, Presumed Death
- Full completion of Nadir (saga)
- Nomad's Elegy
- Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Finale
- Full completion of Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Flashback
- Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Fortunes
- One Foot in the Grave
- One of a Kind
- Our Man in the North
- Pieces of Hate
- Plague's End
- Rag and Bone Man/Wish list
- Rebuilding Edgeville
- Recipe for Disaster
- Recipe for Disaster: Defeating the Culinaromancer
- Recipe for Disaster: Freeing the Lumbridge Sage
- Ritual of the Mahjarrat
- River of Blood
- Rocking Out
- Sins of the Father
- Sliske's Endgame
- Summer's End
- Swan Song
- Tales of Nomad
- The Branches of Darkmeyer
- The Curse of Arrav
- The Darkness of Hallowvale
- The General's Shadow
- The Great Brain Robbery
- The Light Within
- The Lord of Vampyrium
- The Lost Toys
- The Mighty Fall
- The Temple at Senntisten
- Full completion of The World Wakes
- While Guthix Sleeps
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Cultural references[edit | edit source]
- During the end scene, the ghost flies towards a tree on the riverbank, and then into the river. This may be a reference to the Pagan belief in the Summerland. In Pagan mythology, willow trees that grow on the water's edge are seen as the gateway through which spirits can travel through the water and return to the Summerland to await reincarnation. For this reason, willows are considered sacred in many Pagan faiths.
Credits[edit | edit source]
|The Restless Ghost|
|Developer||Paul Gower, Mod James (conversion to RuneScape 2)|
|Quest Help||Nishal K|
|Databox • Talk page|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 23 August 2021 (Update):
- Graphically updated The Restless Ghost (with the exception of his hat) and his Muddy skull.
- You may now interact with the coffin to put the Skull inside.
- Updated various feedback messages that were only visible if chat was open to infoboxes.
- Modernised the conclusion cutscene and resolved various defects.
- ninja 13 November 2017 (Update):
- patch 26 August 2014 (Update):
- The combat level for the Skeleton Warlock in The Restless Ghost quest overview has been updated.
- patch 27 May 2014 (Update):
- patch 24 November 2010 (Update):
- patch 2 November 2010 (Update):
- Father Aerick now realises that his "gap in the fence" is actually now a paved archway.
- patch 19 July 2010 (Update):
- Corrected the skeleton warlock's level in the Restless Ghost requirements.
- patch 25 May 2010 (Update):
- patch 3 March 2010 (Update):
- Fixed an NPC in the Restless Ghost quest who wasn't dealing any damage.
- patch 15 December 2009 (Update):
- The following quests have received a number of minor changes and improvements: Cook's Assistant, Ernest the Chicken, Restless Ghost, Rune Mysteries, Sheep Shearer. If you have already completed these quests, it may be worth your time talking to the Lumbridge cook, Fred the Farmer and Professor Oddenstein (outside Draynor Manor).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Restless Ghost was one of the 6 quests available during RuneScape's launch. While the primary reward was Prayer experience, the ability to use prayers was not added until months later, during this update.
- This quest used to give 1,125 experience, enough to get a new player's Prayer to rise from level 1 to 9. It was changed on 15 December 2009, along with several other beginner quests, to their current rewards. Mod Rowley stated on the forums that the idea was to get new players into the habit of burying bones for Prayer experience.
- In earlier versions of the quest, the skull was located in the basement of the Wizards' Tower. Also, the ghost would be already roaming in the cemetery and did not require the player to open the coffin.
- This quest is considered to be a very important quest, as the amulet of ghost speak and this quest, are both considered to be stated as a quest requirement for large number of quests.
|Removed or significantly changed|
|Italics denote that the quest was demoted to a miniquest.|