The Lost Tribe
|The Lost Tribe (#81)|
|Release date||31 May 2005 (Update)|
|Official series||Cave Goblin #1|
|Quest create ID||69|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Lost Tribe is the first quest in the Cave Goblin quest series. Sigmund, the advisor to the Duke of Lumbridge tasks you to investigate into sighting of goblins emerging from a newly formed crack in the castle's basement. The goblins turn out to be the pacifist Dorgeshuun tribe which has been lost from history for many years.
Official description[edit | edit source]
Sigmund is the advisor to the Duke of Lumbridge, but the Duke does not always take his advice.
When part of the cellar wall collapses, the Duke insists the damage was caused by an earthquake, but Sigmund is worried about a monster attack.
If you investigate this mystery, it will lead you through treacherous caves to uncover something lost by the gods for thousands of years.
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Talk to Sigmund in Lumbridge Castle. Show on map (via a location)|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat||
The 'huge-eyed' goblin[edit | edit source]
To start off, talk to Sigmund, who can be found on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of Lumbridge Castle, in the Duke's room. Ask him if he has any quests for you, and he tells you that the Lumbridge cellar has, presently, a hole in one of its walls and that you should ask the people around for more information about its source.
You must speak to the following people until one of them tells you that they saw a goblin with huge eyes in the castle basement:
- Duke Horacio (found in the same room in the castle as Sigmund),
- The Cook (found on the castle's ground floor[UK]1st floor[US]; if you have Cook's Assistant as an active quest, you will not be able to talk to him)
- Hans (found in the courtyard of the castle)
- Father Aereck (in the nearby Saradomin altar), and
- Bob (in the axe store west of the altar and southeast of the castle)
Report this to Sigmund and then to the duke. He'll then give you the permission to investigate this matter. If you have completed the quest Dragon Slayer, Sigmund will tell the Duke that you slew Elvarg to help persuade him to let you investigate the cellar.
Dorgeshuun[edit | edit source]
Go down the ladder in the kitchen and look for a blocked tunnel (named Rubble) and mine it. Make sure that your light source is illuminated, then squeeze through the tunnel. Walk a bit further inside and grab the brooch lying on the floor near an intersection in the tunnel (look for the red dot).
You can also take the path southwest from the brooch spawn and mine out the hole there, with a pickaxe from your inventory, for easier access to the Lumbridge Swamp Caves, which may be useful after the quest. Do not enter the swamp caves for now though, as there are wall beasts and explosive gases, which can cause a lot of damage to the unprepared. Also watch out not to enter any other paths within this cave, as there are many traps.
Make your way back, and don't look around, otherwise you may fall into a pit. Show the brooch to the Duke and Sigmund. They will tell you to go to the librarian in Varrock.
Travel to Varrock Castle, and show it to Reldo, the librarian. He'll tell you to search the bookcases for a book on goblin history. Search the north-western bookcase to obtain the book. Read the whole book to see that the symbol on the brooch translates to "Dorgeshuun, Goblins of the Strong Spears". Keep the book for the remainder of the quest, since it is very important.
Choose the options in the following order:
- Have you ever heard of the Dorgeshuun?
- It doesn't really matter
- Well either way they refused to fight
- Well I found a brooch underground...
- Well why not show me both greetings?
They'll argue about minor things just like they did in Goblin Diplomacy, but eventually tell you more about the Dorgeshuun, saying that they disappeared during the God Wars and have not been seen since. The generals will also teach you the Goblin Salute and Goblin Bow emotes. If you haven't done Goblin Diplomacy yet, the conversation changes, and you are prompted to finish that quest before continuing on.
Finding the Lost Tribe[edit | edit source]
Go back to Lumbridge and talk to the duke. He will tell you to further investigate the caves for more clues. Go back into the tunnel.
Go to the junction and you will find a 'symbol' on the rock. Read it and if for example, it says "Goblins of the East", go east. Repeat this at all of the junctions: read the symbols on the rocks, translate them with the goblin history book and follow the instructions. Do not try taking any shortcuts in this part.
If you do not follow the path instructed by the rocks, one of two things will happen:
- A rock will fall on top or in front of you (if you're lucky).
- You'll fall down a trapdoor and end up in the main part of the Lumbridge swamp caves. If you're using a candle, you're pretty much doomed, since you need a light source to stay alive (Insects will attack you ruthlessly), and the candle will constantly cause gas explosions - so it is recommended to use Lumbridge home teleport, or another teleport (alternatively you can go north, back through the hole you created earlier, using food and prayer as necessary).
It is easier to change the display options to "Minimum" as the caves will be easier to see, and thus lowering the chances of getting lost.
When you reach the end, you'll find the Dorgeshuun tribe. Do your goblin bow in front of Mistag. He will tell you that the Dorgeshuun are actually peaceful and the Lumbridge kitchen scare was an accident. You'll also learn about the goblins' backstory. Follow Mistag and he will take you back to Lumbridge.
Sigmund's treachery[edit | edit source]
When you tell the Duke about the Dorgeshuun and their offering for peace, he won't believe you because some silverware had recently been stolen from the castle basement and he surmises the goblins to be the culprits. Pickpocket Sigmund to get a key and unlock the chest located in the next room to find some H.A.M. robes; keep these, as you'll need it for the sequel quest. Speak with the Duke before you leave and he will tell you that he is going to keep an eye on Sigmund.
Enter the H.A.M. Dungeon through the Old Mine Entrance, located north-east of Lumbridge Castle and just across the farther bridge over the river, and search the crate near the entrance to find the stolen silverware. If you did not open Sigmund's chest, this crate will be empty.
Go back to the Duke with the silverware in your inventory, and tell him you found it in the H.A.M Hideout. Petrified by hearing this, the Duke will fire and oust Sigmund for his crime of framing the goblins and will give you a signed peace treaty and tell you to get the leader of the Dorgeshuun tribe to sign it as well.
Making peace[edit | edit source]
Go back underground to Mistag. This time, you won't have to navigate through yourself because you'll see a new goblin named Kazgar. He will guide you through the mines, like Mistag earlier.
Crossing the mine, talk to Mistag. He'll agree to escort the goblin leader, Ur-Tag to the Lumbridge Castle dining room, with you and Mistag as witnesses of the treaty. In the middle of the signing cutscene, you will find out that Sigmund, clad in full H.A.M. outfit is eavesdropping outside the castle door, but you cannot stop him from laughing cunningly and sliding away.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 quest point
- 3,000 experience
- A ring of life
- Access to the Dorgesh-Kaan mines
- The ability to use the Goblin bow and Goblin salute emotes
- The ability to use the brooch on Mistag for a lightable Mining helmet
- Quicker access to Lumbridge Swamp Caves
- Access to Nardok's Bone Weapons
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
- Music unlocked
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- The Lost Tribe ( 0) – Complete this quest.
- You Mistag This Brooch ( 10) – Return Mistag's brooch and claim a mining helmet after 'The Lost Tribe'.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
The Lost Tribe is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- A Void Dance
- Aftermath (miniquest)
- Another Slice of H.A.M.
- Full comprehension of Azzanadra's Quest
- Full comprehension of Battle of the Monolith (miniquest)
- Children of Mah
- City of Senntisten
- Full comprehension of Curse of the Black Stone
- Desperate Measures
- Full comprehension of Desperate Times
- Devious Minds
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Full comprehension of Evil Dave's Big Day Out
- Eye of Het I (miniquest)
- Eye of Het II (miniquest)
- Fate of the Gods
- Full comprehension of Heart of Stone
- Full comprehension of Hero's Welcome
- Hopespear's Will (miniquest)
- Kennith's Concerns
- Kindred Spirits
- Koschei's Troubles (miniquest)
- Land of the Goblins
- Mahjarrat Memories (miniquest)
- Full comprehension of Missing, Presumed Death
- Full comprehension of Nadir (saga)
- Nomad's Elegy
- Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Finale
- Full comprehension of Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Fortunes
- One of a Kind
- Quiet Before the Swarm
- Rebuilding Edgeville (miniquest)
- Ritual of the Mahjarrat
- Salt in the Wound
- Sins of the Father (miniquest)
- Sliske's Endgame
- Tales of Nomad (miniquest)
- The Chosen Commander
- The Light Within
- The Mighty Fall
- The Slug Menace
- The Temple at Senntisten
- The Void Stares Back
- Full completion of The World Wakes
- Full comprehension of The World Wakes
- Twilight of the Gods
- While Guthix Sleeps
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
|The Lost Tribe|
|Developer||Mod John A|
|Art & Graphics|
|Graphics||Anthony A, John S|
|Quality assurance||Adam D|
|Quest Help||Rob M|
|Databox • Talk page|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 2 October 2017 (Update):
- The darkness overlay has now been removed from the peace treaty cutscene in Lost Tribe.
- patch 13 August 2013 (Update):
- Players can now take part in The Duke's Dilemma during the Lost Tribe.
- patch 5 February 2013 (Update):
- The Lost Tribe quest now filters correctly on the Quest List when all requirements are met.
- patch 9 November 2010 (Update):
- The Lost Tribe's Lumbridge cellar shortcut now has a left-click option to clear the rubble.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If you are partially through Recipe for Disaster when you complete this quest, you will automatically be forced to leave the Lumbridge dining room. The guests, Aris, and the Culinaromancer re-appear just before you are transported outside.
- If you have completed Dragon Slayer, Sigmund will use that to help persuade Duke Horacio to allow the investigation.
|Part 1 of the Cave Goblin quest series|