The Knight's Sword
|The Knight's Sword (#14)|
|Release date||6 April 2001 (Update)|
|Main developer(s)||Paul Gower|
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Official description[edit | edit source]
Sir Vyvin's squire is in trouble. He has accidentally lost Sir Vyvin's ceremonial sword.
Help him find a replacement without Sir Vyvin finding out.
Development Team[edit | edit source]
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Squire Asrol located in the White Knights' Castle's courtyard in Falador.|
|Member requirement||Free to play|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat||
They lay low, scattered[edit | edit source]
In the courtyard of the Falador Castle, you can find Squire Asrol, who tells you that he has lost the sword that belonged to his master, Sir Vyvin. When you suggest that you could make another one, the squire informs you that the sword was Sir Vyvin's inheritance and it was specially made by the Imcando Dwarves long ago.
He wants you to help him by tracking down the Imcando dwarves and convincing them to forge a new sword. Before parting, the squire suggests you talk to Reldo, Varrock's librarian, for more information on the dwarves.
The Imcando dwarves[edit | edit source]
If you've finished The Giant Dwarf quest, you can skip this step and move directly to the next section.
Go to the northern section of the Varrock Castle, into the city library, to find Reldo. After some chat, Reldo reveals that the Imcando dwarves were tragically wiped out by various Barbarian invasions on the Ice Mountain. Although, some of them have indeed managed to escape and were last seen on the southern peninsula of Asgarnia, but they "do tend to keep to themselves".
Blurite, right?[edit | edit source]
You should see a small house on the side of a hill with an anvil logo. Look for Thurgo, the Imcando dwarf, and ask him if he would like some redberry pie, an offer he can't refuse. Talk to him again, and ask him about the sword; he says he is willing to make a new sword, but he needs a picture to make an exact copy.
Go back to Falador and talk to the squire again. He tells you that Sir Vyvin has a portrait of his father, along with their ancestral sword, in his room. Go to the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of the castle and climb the staircase in the east part of the castle. You will wind up on 2nd floor[UK]3rd floor[US] in a room with an altar and Saradomin in it. Sir Vyvin's room is the room immediately to the south. Look for a cupboard nearby and search it. You will obtain a portrait that shows the sword.
Sir Vyvin will stop you if he catches you "borrowing" his portrait. To prevent this, just make sure that he either isn't present in the room or is standing behind the opened door while you are picking up the portrait. You can also talk to him and attempt to distract him.
Once you have the portrait, go back to Thurgo.
Picturesque finish[edit | edit source]
Talk to Thurgo and give him the portrait. He will tell you that the hilt of the sword is made up of blurite. Blurite is a rare metal which isn't known for making actual weapons, but he requires it to decorate the hilt exactly as it is. Along with the blurite, he also requires two iron bars to construct the entire sword.
You will have to enter the dungeon on the nearby hill to obtain the blurite ore. All enemies in the cave are aggressive, so bringing food and armour is a good idea. The blurite rocks (black with light blue nuggets) are in the last free-to-play chamber, covered in snow and filled with ice warriors and ice giants. The former is more of a problem as they are human-sized and rarely gets trapped by obstacles, but it is possible to mine the ore while being hit by one, even as a level 3 player with only beginner-level food (eating stops the mining process so you must click the rock again, but does not reset your progress). Since you don't need any other items in this part, you can bank everything else before hand, and die after successfully mining since you'll be able to keep the blurite ore.
With the blurite ore and iron bars, talk to Thurgo, who proceeds to make you a sword. Finally, with the look-alike, go back to Squire Asrol and present him with the sword.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 quest point
- 12,725 experience lamp
- The ability to smith blurite bars and blurite swords
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
The Knight's Sword is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- Children of Mah
- Full completion of Curse of the Black Stone
- Full completion of Desperate Times
- Dimension of Disaster
- Dimension of Disaster: Curse of Arrav
- Dimension of Disaster: Defender of Varrock
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Fate of the Gods
- Full completion of Heart of Stone
- Kindred Spirits
- Koschei's Troubles
- Mahjarrat Memories
- Full completion of Missing, Presumed Death
- Full completion of Nadir
- Nomad's Elegy
- One of a Kind
- Rebuilding Edgeville
- Ritual of the Mahjarrat
- River of Blood
- Sliske's Endgame
- Tales of Nomad
- The Curse of Arrav
- The Light Within
- The Mighty Fall
- The Temple at Senntisten
- Full completion of The World Wakes
- While Guthix Sleeps
Completion of The Knight's Sword is required for the following:
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Cultural references[edit | edit source]
- Distracting Sir Vyvin is a direct reference to Kryten from the British comedy Red Dwarf. While trying to distract the Inquisitor, Kryten says "Could I possibly just distract you for a minute?"
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 9 July 2018 (Update):
- Claiming & using the Knight's Sword quest reward Smithing lamp is now a requirement for the Master Quest Cape.
- ninja 18 May 2015 (Update):
- Blurite swords (plus an off-hand variant) can now be smithed after completing The Knight's Sword quest.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When the quest was first released, it was called "Sword Quest".
- The original version of this quest required the player to give Thurgo a redberry pie for every blurite sword the player attempted to make.
- After the quest, when you meet Sir Owen in Varrock Palace, he will say: "Your replica of Sir Vyvin's sword fooled everyone! Oh, don't worry how I found out. I have my sources, but your secret is safe with me."
- The Knight's Sword was the first Intermediate quest to be released.
- Thurgo states the blurite rocks are guarded by a powerful ice giant, while actually they are guarded by many ice warriors and ice giants.
- The rewards screen incorrectly claims blurite smithing is members only.
|Removed or significantly changed|
|Italics denote that the quest was demoted to a miniquest.|