The Dig Site
|The Dig Site (#48)|
|Release date||9 July 2003 (Update)|
|Quest series||Return of Zaros|
|Main developer(s)||Original: Ian T|
Rework: Marion C
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Dig Site is the first quest in the Return of Zaros series. You must pass an archaeology exam for the Varrock Museum to be able to excavate the site where the city of Saranthium previously stood, but you discover something else...
Official description[edit | edit source]
Feeling uneducated? Desperate for buried treasure?
"There's gold in them there hills" (well stream actually), as well as many other items that can be found at the Digsite. Join the students in their attempts to be a qualified archaeologist, and become experienced in making the earth move!
Have you got what it takes to unearth the hidden altar to one of Runescape's lesser-known Gods?
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Examiner in the Exam Centre, south of the Varrock Dig Site.|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat||
The Dig Site[edit | edit source]
The Varrock Dig Site is located east of Varrock, north of Al Kharid. Go to the Exam Centre located south of the Dig Site. Talk to an examiner and ask her about taking an exam to be eligible to do work on the important areas of the Dig Site. She will then give you an unstamped letter. Bring this letter to Seth Minas (site manager) in the building to the north west of the exam centre (main building with the cups of tea).
After he signs it, bring the sealed letter back to the examiner, who then gives you the level 1 test.
No matter what you answer on the test, you will get all of them wrong. You must get answers from the other students. They are all wandering around the Dig Site. Leave the building and head north towards the Dig Site.
The Study Group[edit | edit source]
There are 3 students at the Dig Site who can help you with the exam answers. However, they will only give you the answers if you can find a lost item of theirs.
This can be done in any order. You can obtain the 'special' items before talking to the students.
Animal skull[edit | edit source]
The first student is Eduardo (student) and is in the north-western section of the Dig Site. He has blonde hair and is wearing a bandana over his mouth. He has lost his animal skull and wants you to retrieve it. Pickpocket any Dig Site workmen that can be found nearby until an animal skull is received; level 25 Thieving is required to steal it, and a higher level will increase your chances of receiving it.
Give the skull back to Eduardo and he will give you another answer – "Earth Science is the study of earth, its contents and history."
Teddy[edit | edit source]
The second student is Katarina (student) and is in the north section of the Dig Site. She is a blonde woman with a purple top with two pigtails. If you talk to her, she says that she has lost her teddy bear, which she describes as her "lucky mascot" and asks you to find it. The teddy bear is in one of four bushes by the mysterious monolith, south of the student.
Once the teddy has been found, return to Katarina and she will tell you one of the answers – "The proper health and safety points are: Proper tools must be used."
Special cup[edit | edit source]
Go to the eastern area of the Dig Site. First, find Dorian (student) wearing a brown coloured shirt with green pants, standing in front of the The Empty Throne Room entrance north of the panning area. He will tell you he has lost his special cup. Attempt to pan the river just east of the tent. The panning guide will stop you and ask for a cup of tea.
If there is already a cup of tea in your inventory, he will automatically take it, however if you do not have one, a cup of tea may be found in the main administrative building to the west of the dig site.
After gaining permission, pan in the river until you obtain a special cup. You may also find an uncut opal, which is needed for a later part of the quest. Other items you might find when you search a full pan include uncut jade, coins, gold nuggets, oysters, and just plain mud.
Return the cup to Dorian and he will give you the final answer – "The people eligible to use the Digsite are: All that have passed the appropriate Earth Sciences Exams."
Archaeology[edit | edit source]
You must talk to each of the students before taking each new exam, otherwise the correct answers below will not even appear as an option!
Level 1[edit | edit source]
Go back to the exam centre and take the exam again, this time choosing the correct answers. If you have forgotten the information, they are as follows:
- The study of Earth Science is: "The study of the earth, its contents and history."
- The people eligible to use the digsite are: "All that have passed the appropriate Earth Sciences exam."
- The proper health and safety points are: "Proper tools must be used."
Level 2[edit | edit source]
Return to each of the students and ask them for level 2 answers, which are as follows:
- Correct sample transportation: "Samples taken in rough form, kept only in sealed containers."
- Finds handling: "Finds must be carefully handled."
- Correct rock pick usage: "Always handle with care; strike cleanly on its cleaving point."
Level 3[edit | edit source]
Speak to the three students again and obtain the answers for level 3 certificate. However, Katarina (in a purple top) will want an uncut/cut opal for her help this time. Pan in the river for one, if you did not receive it when you were looking for the special cup. It is also possible to receive a cut opal from excavating level 1 grids.
- Sample preparations: "Samples cleaned, and carried only in specimen jars."
- Specimen brush use: "Brush carefully and slowly using short strokes."
- The proper technique for handling bones is: "Handle bones very carefully and keep them away from other samples."
Now go back to the exam centre. Answer the questions correctly and you will earn the final level 3 certificate, along with a specimen brush and jar. You can now dig anywhere you wish; you can also show all the 3 certificates to Seth Minas and choose between something to drink (fruit blast) or something to eat (chocolate cake), as a reward.
The Forgotten One[edit | edit source]
You now need to use the trowel to dig into the soil at the level 3 site, which can be found on the east side, near student 3. Click on the soil until you find an ancient talisman. This can take multiple attempts. Any other items can be discarded.
Take the talisman to the Terry Balando in the exam centre. He will be impressed by it and say that it's a talisman of the god Zaros. He will give you an invitation letter, which must be shown to workers to get permission to go down the private winches.
Devious Minds[edit | edit source]
Make your way to the northern-eastern digging area of the Dig Site (directly north of dig site level 3) and you will see a winch near the top of it. Talk to the Dig Site winch operator next to it. Afterwards, attach a rope to the winch in order to gain access to the sub-levels of the Dig Site.
Grab an arcenia root near the west wall while you're there as you'll need it later. Walk east and search the bricks blocking the path; it is currently impossible to pass through until the bricks are cleared.
Return to the surface and head to the other winch, located to the west. Once again, use your rope and go down the winch. Speak to Doug Deeping and inquire on how to move a large pile of rocks. There are also two arcenia root spawns in this area, against the western wall and north-western corner.
He suggests blowing the bricks up, and also speaks of a former colleague who had discovered some chemical substances to use for that process. However, he was scared by his findings and left them inside the other shaft. He also gives you a chest key. Use the 'drop trick' for multiple keys if you want to obtain more compounds after completing the quest.
Boom![edit | edit source]
Make your way to the bigger dungeon down the north-eastern winch.
- Head north-east inside the dungeon to find a locked chest, barrel, four arcenia root spawns, three sacks of charcoal, and a book on chemicals.
- Open the chest and get ammonium nitrate from it.
- Pry open the barrel, located east of the chest, using your trowel. Use your vial on it afterwards to get nitroglycerine.
- Search a sack of charcoal to obtain a charcoal. Grind your charcoal into ground charcoal.
- Mix the ammonium nitrate with the nitroglycerine, then add the ground charcoal and arcenia root to create chemical compound. Make sure to do this quickly otherwise the mixed chemicals will go foul.
After the quest you will not be able to get more ammonium nitrate since Doug Deeping will not give you another key, so be sure to get a lot of it if you want more chemical compounds. You do not need to keep getting a key from Doug, you can just keep clicking on the chest whilst it's open.
Now search the bricks to the south and use the chemical compound on it, and immediately after that, search it again and use the tinderbox option to blow it up; you will automatically run away. Enter the central chamber. Pick up the stone tablet in the centre of the Zarosian sign and go back to Terry Balando. Then, show the stone tablet to him to finish the quest.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 2 quest points
- 15,300 experience
- 2,000 experience
- 2 gold bars
- Ability to do Varrock Museum specimen cleaning to obtain Kudos and a Dig Site pendant
- Talk to Terry Balando with either 75 Attack, Magic or Ranged, or 91 Constitution to obtain the Codex Ultimatus, which when read, unlocks 3 ancient threshold abilities – Blood Tendrils (75 Attack), Shadow Tendrils (75 Ranged) and Smoke Tendrils (75 Magic), and one ultimate ability – Ice Asylum (91 Constitution).
- Speak to Marfet or Torrcs on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of Varrock Museum, who say you can re-obtain Teddy, by pickpocketing the female student.
- Ability to assemble the Frozen Key
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
- Music unlocked
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- The Dig Site ( 0) – Complete this Intermediate quest.
- I Dig This Transportation ( 10) – Unlock Dig Site pendants.
- Ultimate Codex ( 10) – Claim and read the Codex Ultimatus.
- Varrock achievements
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
The Dig Site is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- 'Phite Club
- Full completion of Azzanadra's Quest
- Children of Mah
- Full completion of Curse of the Black Stone
- Desperate Measures
- Full completion of Desperate Times
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Do No Evil
- Fate of the Gods
- Full completion of Heart of Stone
- Full completion of Hero's Welcome
- Hopespear's Will
- Kindred Spirits
- Koschei's Troubles
- Land of the Goblins
- Mahjarrat Memories
- Full completion of Missing, Presumed Death
- Full completion of Nadir
- Nomad's Elegy
- One of a Kind
- Our Man in the North
- Rebuilding Edgeville
- Recipe for Disaster
- Recipe for Disaster: Defeating the Culinaromancer
- Ritual of the Mahjarrat
- Sins of the Father
- Sliske's Endgame
- Tales of Nomad
- The Chosen Commander
- The Curse of Zaros
- The General's Shadow
- The Light Within
- The Mighty Fall
- The Temple at Senntisten
- Full completion of The World Wakes
- Wandering Ga'al
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- update 30 March 2020 (Update):
- patch 30 March 2020 (Update):
- Fixed numerous graphical bugs surrounding the new Dig Site entrances and the Archaeology Guild Campus.
- The thumbs of certain Dig Site employees have been returned to their proper size.
- patch 19 August 2019 (Update):
- The empty throne room is no longer listed as a reward from The Dig Site quest, as this is no longer required to access the room.
- patch 20 May 2019 (Update):.
- The Digsite quest has been improved!
- Hint boxes have been added to the quest.
- Digging spots can now just be clicked on (no more "Use tool on soil" with a tiny click zone).
- All hand-ins are now handled via left click interactions (no need to "Use item on NPC", though these still work).
- The role of the curator has been replaced with a new NPC – Seth Minas – to keep students on-site throughout the quest.
- Cups of tea will now spawn in one of the new buildings in this area.
- Groundskeeping work means that there are now fewer bushes to search for lost objects.
- You can now carry multiple panning trays and fill them all up before having to check them.
- If you try to pan with only full panning trays in your inventory, you will automatically check and empty one of your full panning trays first.
- Pickpocketing is now the default option (for members) on Varrock Dig Site workmen.
- The components of the chemical compound used in the quest can now all be found in the caves to better make use of this area.
- Ammonium nitrate and nitroglycerine are now identified on pickup, and do not have to be taken to archaeological expert Terry Balando (though he is still able to identify any unidentified items you might still have lying around).
- Leather boots and gloves are no longer required to dig at archaeological grids. You will still need the relevant qualification and tools.
- Examiners will now provide the appropriate tools for each qualification, in an attempt to reduce theft on-site.
- The Dig Site quest journal has been updated to reflect the changes made to the area.
- The Digsite quest has been improved!
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On the day of release, it was impossible to complete this quest since there was no way to obtain the required specimen brush. This was fixed the next day, and Jagex promised to feed the staff members responsible for the bug to the King Black Dragon.
|Mysteries of the Mahjarrat|
|Rise of Lucien|
|Return of Zaros|
|Lores and Histories|