The Curse of Zaros
|The Curse of Zaros|
|Release date||26 July 2005 (Update)|
|Main developer(s)||James B|
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Valdez) near Glarial's tombstone.|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Official length||Medium to Long|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat||
Starting up[edit | edit source]
To Start Talk to the mysterious ghost (Valdez) near Glarial's tombstone (north-west of the Fishing Guild), while wearing a ring of visibility and a way to speak with ghosts (Ghostspeak amulet or Cramulet or Hard Morytania achievements completed).
This miniquest will take people into dangerous parts of the Wilderness. Beware of player killers and that you can not teleport after level 20 wilderness. If you are using a Cramulet it is advisable to dismantle it and use only the Ghostspeak amulet as obtaining the parts again (particularly the monkeyspeak amulet) can be troublesome if you die in the wilderness.
- All of the Mysterious ghosts appear at all three of their possible locations, but only one of the three will give you their piece of the set.
Valdez the Explorer[edit | edit source]
- Make sure you are wearing your ring of visibility and your ghostspeak amulet.
- Teleport to Ardougne lodestone. Go to Glarial's tombstone northwest of The Fishing Guild. The ghost will not appear as a dot on the minimap.
- When you speak to Valdez he will introduce himself and relate his part of the story. He will then give you a Ghostly robe top.
- He requests you to find another ghost named Rennard.
- This ghost will give you one of three clues which determine your entire route, which we will label Sequence 1, Sequence 2, and Sequence 3.
- Sequence 1 - He mentions pirates and a shipwreck.
- Sequence 2 - He mentions the thief being northeast of there.
- Sequence 3 - He mentions the thief being southeast of there.
Now there are three possible sequences of ghosts you need to visit:
|Number||Ghost||Sequence 1||Sequence 2||Sequence 3||Item given in thanks|
|1||Rennard||Near the shipwrecked ship west of the Pirates' Hideout (Level 55 Wilderness)||Bandit Camp (Wilderness)||Bandit Camp (Kharidian Desert)
Inside the bar.
|2||Kharrim||At the Chaos Temple (hut) altar (Level 38 Wilderness)||Graveyard of Shadows||End of the Lava maze inside the second fenced in area||Ghostly boots|
|3||Lennissa||In the church on Entrana, in front of the altar.||Port Sarim docks near the Void Squire.||Just south of the Gnomeball field||Ghostly robe bottom|
|4||Dhalak||On the ground floor[UK]1st floor[US] of the Wizards tower||Upstairs in Edgeville Monastery by the altar||Upstairs in the Falador Party room||Ghostly hood|
|5||Viggora||Upstairs in the Rogues' castle in level 52 Wilderness||Middle floor of the Slayer tower in Canifis (SE)||Edgeville dungeon south of the Earth Warriors||Ghostly cloak|
Rennard the Thief[edit | edit source]
- He will tell you where to find Rennard. The location of all the subsequent ghosts is randomised but is hinted by the previous ghost. Rennard will be in one of the following places. If you go to the wrong location, a ghost will be there but you will have a meaningless conversation with it.
When you find him he will just be called 'Mysterious Ghost' again (as with the rest of the ghosts). He will give you a pair of Ghostly gloves.
It is recommended that you use the Drop Trick for extra gloves, because getting deep into the wilderness takes time.
- He wants you to find Kharrim now.
Kharrim the Messenger[edit | edit source]
Kharrim will be in one of these locations:
- Inside Chaos Temple (hut) Altar in (far west side of) level 38 Wilderness, North of The Forgotten Cemetery. (Rennard will say near Dareeyak)
- Graveyard of Shadows (Wilderness, Carrallangar); if you get this location, the zombies and ghosts will be aggressive and will interrupt your conversation. It may take a while to get your conversation finished.
- End of the Lava Maze (Wilderness) you will need a knife or other sharp object to cut through web.
Special note: If you go to a different location than the one Rennard tells you, you will NOT get the boots and instead you will have a normal conversation and nothing to do with the story. Head to this location and talk to Kharrim. He will give you some Ghostly boots and ask you to find Lennissa.
From him you learn that Zamorak was a mortal Mahjarrat, and that what he did with the Staff of Armadyl caused the "other gods" to banish him, although Saradomin must have had foreknowledge of the mysterious event.
Lennissa the Spy[edit | edit source]
Lennissa may be in:
- Entrana church (Kharrim will say she will have went to a large Church of Saradomin)
- Port Sarim at the Lady Lumbridge (hard to see against the dock)
- Gnomeball field, near the southern viewing platform.
Once at one of these places, look for Lennissa and speak to her. She will give you the Ghostly robe bottom and ask you to find Dhalak.
Dhalak the Magician[edit | edit source]
Dhalak may be in:
- Wizard's Tower, on the eastern side of the ground floor[UK]1st floor[US] near the wall, close to four floating bookcases (Lennissa will say he will be researching in a library)
- 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of the Edgeville Monastery (31 Prayer required) by the altar (Lennissa says he would be trying to lift the curse)
- Falador Party Room, 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] on the eastern side (Lennissa will say that he needed to lift his spirits up)
Once found, talk to Dhalak. He should give you the Ghostly hood and tell you to find the last ghost, Viggora.
Viggora the Warrior[edit | edit source]
Viggora will be found at one of these locations:
- Rogues' Castle in the Wilderness, 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] in the small easternmost room with a bronze square shield spawn and three safes. Dhalak will say a rogue flocks to his own kind.
- Beware of the Chaos Elemental and player killers.
- Canifis Slayer Tower - "...has returned to his castle in the Dark Lands" (Near the southeast stairwell by the entrance to the Aberrant Spectres on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US])
- Paddewwa - Edgeville dungeon "perhaps he has returned to one of his old haunts?" (south of the Earth warriors)
- Viggora now spawns just south of the monkey bars. The earth warriors used to interrupt the dialogue, but this is no longer the case.
- Beware of player killers.
Listen to what he has to say and then he will give you the final robe piece, the Ghostly cloak.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- Additional rewards/activities
Upon completion, you can talk to Historian Minas on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of the Varrock Museum and receive 10 kudos and an antique lamp which gives 10,000 experience in any skill of at least level 50. For some players, despite the Achievements interface showing that the miniquest is complete, they will continue to receive a prompt from Minas "Find out more about the Staff of Armadyl" until they recollect the 6 outfit pieces and/or go through the chat dialogue with Viggora again.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- The Curse of Zaros ( 15) – Complete this Intermediate miniquest.
- How Do You Do, Fellow Ghost? ( 25) – Talk to one of the ghostly inhabitants of Kharid-et while wearing a full set of ghostly equipment.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 26 October 2020 (Update):
- patch 4 November 2019 (Update):
- Fixed a typo when talking to Lennissa the spy, during The Curse of Zaros miniquest.
- patch 5 May 2015 (Update):
- Characters involved in the Curse of Zaros miniquest now only appear in the correct location for the player's randomised path, rather than appearing in all possible locations and speaking gibberish in the incorrect ones.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If you speak to any of the ghosts without a Ghostspeak amulet, your character may say "all your base are belong to us", as well as some other quotes. These are references to famous translation errors in the game Zero Wing.
- When speaking to Rennard, your player says "I ain't scared of no ghost," a reference to "I ain't afraid of no ghost" from the Ghostbusters theme song.
- When speaking to Dhalak, he says "Be you some mighty sorcerer to bind me so?" if a player has 99 magic they will answer "Well, I don't mean to brag, but I guess I am with my level 99 magic..." otherwise they will respond with "Um, not really...".
- Wearing the ring of visibility in a free-to-play world allows your character to talk to the ghosts and receive the robe pieces, despite this being a members-only miniquest.
|Related to the Mahjarrat quest series|
|Related to the Mahjarrat quest series|
|Mysteries of the Mahjarrat|
|Rise of Lucien|
|Return of Zaros|
|Lores and Histories|