The Blood Pact
|The Blood Pact (#163)|
|Release date||15 March 2010 (Update)|
|Quest series||Signature Heroes|
|Main developer(s)||John A|
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Blood Pact is the 163rd quest. It brought the maximum quest point total to 300. It was the first new quest available for free players, besides tutorials, since Rune Mysteries, which was officially released in 2003. New free-to-play items were released with the quest along with the helmet of trials for members who had obtained 300 quest points. The quest also introduced a new dungeon packed with low level monsters that new players could train on. This quest marked the first appearance of a Signature Hero - Xenia. Through the quest, Xenia explains the combat triangle and has the adventurer use the combat triangle in action by fighting a melee warrior, a ranger, and a mage, respectively, with the appropriate weapon.
Official description[edit | edit source]
Dire deeds are afoot in Lumbridge Graveyard. A tomb lies defiled and rumours of baleful cults and profane rituals are whispered throughout the town.
The veteran adventurer Xenia has come in search of talented heroes to accompany her into the depths of Lumbridge Catacombs. Together, you will uncover a plot to awaken a slumbering evil. Can you save the citizens of Lumbridge from a fate worse than death?
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Xenia, in the Lumbridge Cemetery|
|Member requirement||Free to play|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat|
The catacombs[edit | edit source]
Start the quest by speaking to Xenia in the Lumbridge cemetery. She will appear to recognise you and say that she sees a great hero in you in the future. She asks you for help dealing with some Zamorakian cultists that have kidnapped a young girl, Ilona, who was going to the Wizards' Tower to learn magic. After agreeing to help Xenia, enter through the catacombs entrance to confront the cultists. She will follow you.
The cultists[edit | edit source]
When you enter the dungeon, a cutscene plays showing the three kidnappers, Reese, Caitlin, and Kayle, taking their hostage deep into the dungeon. Kayle is hesitant about the ritual, but is quickly reprimanded by Reese, their leader, who says that Kayle is bound by the blood pact and that they cannot abandon their plan now. Reese orders Kayle to guard the door while he and Caitlin continue ahead.
After the cutscene is over, if you ask Xenia what a blood pact is, she says that it is something that Zamorakian cults do to swear loyalty to their leader. It is essentially not real magic, but it can have great power if someone believes strongly enough in it.
Kayle[edit | edit source]
You will now find yourself in a large hall with Kayle standing opposite you. When you move into the front chamber, he will attack Xenia with his chargebow, injuring her. All of her life points seemingly gone, she will ask you to fight on alone and defeat the cultists.
Defeat Kayle using any form of combat; Xenia will recommend melee. He is fairly accurate for his level, easily hitting constant 10s on players with 1 defence and no armour. For lower levelled players, it is recommend that they get close to him while taking advantage of the walls on either side of the chamber to reduce damage. Using abilities such as Slice will allow you to do more damage. For rangers, Piercing Shot can be used and for mages, Wrack can be used.
After defeating him, you may ask him about the other cultists to which he says that Caitlin was a student of the Wizards' Tower and that's how they chose Ilona for the ritual. Reese was an acolyte in the Lumbridge Church who, along with Caitlin, came up with the whole idea. You may also question him about the trio's intentions, and he will explain that he really didn't know what he was getting himself into.
At this point, you may choose whether to kill him or spare him his life, either of which will cause him to drop his chargebow, which you may then take. Your choice will slightly affect some of the later dialogue in the quest, but the final outcome and rewards will be the same in either case. Additionally, your choice will influence Ilona (the aspiring-mage girl you are trying to rescue) after the quest, as she will choose to practice nonlethal magic if you spare either Kayle or Caitlin (the next enemy), but she will practice elemental combat magic if you choose to kill them. Her chosen magic does not affect future gameplay.
Caitlin[edit | edit source]
You will be forced to use long-ranged attacks against her as you will not be able to get within melee distance of her. She will attack you using Magic attacks, and thus it is recommended to use Ranged to defeat her, Ranged being superior to Magic in the combat triangle. She seems to be easier than Kayle, as even though her spells are more accurate, she does not hit as hard.
After defeating her, operate a winch found in the room to cross to the other side of the room. You cannot do this while she is attacking you.
When you question Caitlin about the group's intentions, she says that the dungeon is actually the tomb of Dragith Nurn, who was a powerful necromancer. It was he who had built the catacombs for himself and the cultists had planned to use the power stored in his body to unlock the secrets of his work and gain power over life and death.
Again, players will have the choice to kill her or to spare her; whichever choice you make, Caitlin will drop her staff on the floor. As with Kayle, your choice will affect some dialogue in the quest, and it will slightly affect Ilona's character development after the quest, depending also upon whether you killed or spared Kayle. The quest's final outcome and rewards are unaffected.
If you talk to Xenia about Dragith Nurn, she will explain that he had a magical workshop beneath Lumbridge and that he used to rob graves for his necromancy experiments. She convinced him to stop all of them, so he trapped all the undead in the lower level of his workshop and sealed it off. The upper level of his workshop is where the tomb lays. Contrary to what the cultists believed, Dragith Nurn used this tomb to hide the entrance to the lower level, where he buried himself along with the undead.
Reese[edit | edit source]
After speaking to Xenia, descend the stairs at the end of Caitlin's room to confront the last member of the trio. Reese, the final cultist, will be waiting for you After speaking to him for a short while, it will become clear that you cannot dissuade him from his plans, and he will attack you. You may defeat him by using any means of combat, but Xenia recommends using Magic, namely Air Strike.
After defeating Reese, you may further question him about his plans. You will once again have to choose whether or not to spare his life. However, even if you choose to spare Reese, he will commit suicide by drinking from a vial of poison, realising that his plans had failed. The coffin in the room to the south will crumble and reveal a set of stairs out of the catacombs. Untie Ilona, and she will relate her story to you back at the surface.
Finishing up[edit | edit source]
After defeating Reese, you will appear outside the Lumbridge Catacombs with Xenia and Ilona, and Xenia will reward you. Congratulations, quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 quest point
- 100 , , , and experience in the form of a combat lamp
- Access to the Lumbridge Catacombs, which include:
- Reese's sword and its off-hand counterpart
- Kayle's chargebow
- Caitlin's staff
- Helmet of trials; requires 300 quest points, can be received at any point
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
- Music unlocked
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- The Blood Pact ( 0) – Complete this Novice quest.
- Lumbridge Catacombs ( 0) – Delve into Dragith Nurn's tomb beneath the graveyard and battle his experiments.
- Mask Part 1 ( 0) – Defeat warped cockroaches in Lumbridge Catacombs.
- Mask Part 2 ( 0) – Defeat corpse spiders (room 2) or warped flies (room 3) in Lumbridge Catacombs.
- Mask Part 3 ( 0) – Defeat crawling corpse torsos, warped rats, or skeletons.
- Mask Part 4 ( 0) – Defeat warped bats, corpse archers, skoblins, or corpse mages.
- Mask Part 5 ( 0) – Defeat Dragith Nurn at the end of the Lumbridge Catacombs.
- Statuette Part 1 ( 0) – Take the jade demon statuette in room 3 (warped flices) of Lumbridge Catacombs.
- Statuette Part 2 ( 0) – Take the topaz demon statuette in room 6 (skeletons) of Lumbridge Catacombs.
- Statuette Part 3 ( 0) – Take the sapphire demon statuette in room 8 (corpse archers) of Lumbridge Catacombs.
- Statuette Part 4 ( 0) – Take the emerald demon statuette in room 9 (skoblins) of Lumbridge Catacombs.
- Statuette Part 5 ( 0) – Take the ruby demon statuette in room 10 (corpse mages) of Lumbridge Catacombs.
- Statuette Part 6 ( 0) – Take the diamond demon statuette in room 11 (Dragith Nurn) of Lumbridge Catacombs.
- Mask of Dragith Nurn ( 10) – Assemble the five parts of the Mask of Dragith Nurn from the Lumbridge Catacombs.
- Work for Idol Hands ( 10) – Hand in all the demon statuettes from the Lumbridge Catacombs.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
The Blood Pact is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 2 March 2020 (Update):
- The tutorial pop-up that previously only occurred when starting the Blood Pact quest now occurs when starting your first quest.
- patch 16 September 2019 (Update):
- patch 12 August 2019 (Update):
- Xenia during The Blood Pact will now give the player a bronze sword, even if the player has another (lesser) weapon equipped or in their inventory.
- ninja 20 August 2018 (Update):
- hotfix 29 November 2017 (Update):
- Applied a further fix to correct players during the Blood Pact quest.
- hotfix 28 November 2017 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with the powers button on the ribbon not working correctly during The Blood Pact quest.
- patch 24 July 2017 (Update):
- patch 5 October 2015 (Update):
- patch 18 August 2014 (Update):
- The magic tutorial in Blood Pact while on the path system no longer triggers if you have a high-level magic spell set to autocast.
- patch 4 August 2014 (Update):
- Xenia's initial idle animation has been updated.
- An issue where the colour grading in Lumbridge cemetery remained during the opening catacombs cutscene has been fixed.
- Various minor changes have been made to the dialogue structure.
- The introduction to adrenaline at the start of Blood Pact has been shortened.
- Several steps have been removed from the path system ability tutorials.
- Air strike will now automatically be set to autocast during the magic ability tutorial.
- Dragging is now indicated more clearly in ability tutorials.
- The fight with Reese has been moved into the larger outer chamber, and a bridging cutscene has been added.
- Ilona no longer wanders around Lumbridge cemetery.
- patch 22 April 2014 (Update):
- Some tweaks have been made to animations found in the Blood Pact quest.
- Reese now holds a bottle of poison when he completes the pact in the Blood Pact quest.
- patch 17 February 2014 (Update):
- Several sound effects and the music used in 'The Blood Pact' quest have been updated.
- patch 13 January 2014 (Update):
- Various tweaks have been made to animations used during The Blood Pact quest.
- A small tutorial on how the skills interface works has been added, played after completing The Blood Pact quest while on the Path System.
- A reminder on how to move the camera has been added, played during The Blood Pact quest while on the Path System.
- patch 11 December 2013 (Update):
- The combat XP reward from the Blood Pact quest is now in the form of a combat XP lamp, to allow players to opt out of receiving the experience.
- patch 12 March 2013 (Update):
- Some issues with the characters faces during The Blood Pact have been fixed.
- patch 31 August 2011 (Update):
- The Task System's tooltip no longer appears in the Blood Pact cutscene once the side interface has been hidden.
- patch 23 August 2011 (Update):
- An additional full stop has been removed from Blood Pact's quest information interface.
- patch 15 February 2011 (Update):
- Some stairs in the Blood Pact quest have had their examine information corrected.
- patch 5 July 2010 (Update):
- Added sound effects during the Blood Pact when combining parts of the mask.
- patch 24 June 2010 (Update):
- Added missing combat sounds to the bow from the Blood Pact quest.
- Adjusted a few bits and pieces at the start of the Blood Pact quest to meet new standards.
- patch 25 May 2010 (Update):
- The Wise Old Man can now look at items you may have from The Blood Pact.
- patch 23 March 2010 (Update):
- Fixed the melee animations for Caitlin's staff from The Blood Pact.
- A statue in The Blood Pact wasn't changing properly.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On the day the quest was released, the spoiler said: "No information on the rewards for this quest will be available until the cult activity is identified and thwarted. Rest assured though, that there will be several useful items for new adventurers."
- When you complete the quest, your Adventurer's Log will say, "I defeated a trio of Zamorakian cultists in the catacombs beneath Lumbridge Church."
- Previously, Kayle used a shortbow, then a sling. Now, he uses a chargebow.
- This quest received a graphical update on 26 November 2013.
|Lores and Histories|
|Removed or significantly changed|
|Italics denote that the quest was demoted to a miniquest.|
|Mask of Dragith Nurn|