Temple of Ikov
|Temple of Ikov (#28)|
|Release date||17 June 2002 (Update)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Temple of Ikov is the first quest to feature the Mahjarrat known as Lucien. The quest revolves around the infiltration of the Temple of Ikov in order to steal a powerful artefact known as the Staff of Armadyl. Its sequel is While Guthix Sleeps, released six and a half years later.
Official description[edit | edit source]
|“||A mysterious stranger called Lucien asks you to go on a mission deep under the Temple of Ikov in central Kandarin.
He wants you to retrieve an artifact[sic] known as the Staff of Armadyl. Towards the end of the quest you are presented with a choice on how to complete the quest.
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Lucien in the Flying Horse Inn, in the north-west of East Ardougne.|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat|
Staff of Armadyl[edit | edit source]
Lucien says that he needs a hero to assist him in his endeavour to obtain a magical artefact. Tell him that you are indeed a hero, and he mentions that the artefact is called the Staff of Armadyl. Respond with "sounds like it would be a laugh" and he will warn you that a dangerous monster guards the staff, and can only be defeated by a weapon of ice.
Temple of Ikov[edit | edit source]
Climb down the ladder, to enter the temple. Head west along the main corridor until you arrive at a staircase. Make sure your light source is lit, and go down the stairs. Go to the small north-east area and try to slash the spiderweb - it may take a few tries. Take the boots of lightness from inside and equip them.
Go back up the stairs. Return to the centre of the corridor, and enter the north gate. Make sure you have Lucien's pendant equipped, or "a great terror will overcome you!" and you will be pushed away from the gate. Inside you will find level 58 skeletons. Run to the west until you come to a bridge, which you must now cross. If you run north instead and find yourself in a passage with a door you can't open, you have gone the wrong way.
Crossing a river of fire[edit | edit source]
If your total weight is more than 0.0 kg the bridge will give way and you will fall into the lava below. You will take up to 200 life points of damage before washing up near numerous scorpions. If this occurs, exit via the ladder to the south, head to a bank and unload a few items. You may also use a beast of burden familiar to carry the items you need.
Across the bridge, enter the room and take the lever lying near the south wall. Now cross the bridge again, heading back to the dungeon entrance by the ladder you used to enter the area, and use the lever on the lever bracket found on the south wall. Finally, pull the lever and the south gate will now be unlocked.
If you are planning to go and bank some items, be sure to pull the lever first. If you leave the temple without doing this, you will not be able to re-enter without collecting a new lever. If you did go through the gate, upon return, it will appear that the lever in the bracket has gone but you will not need to obtain another lever as you can still enter through the south gate.
Ice weapons[edit | edit source]
The area leading from the south gate is filled with a number of level 42 monsters, and you may have to spend some time there, so it may be wise to return to the bank and obtain some armour and food. However, if you go to the bank, make sure to bring the pendant of Lucien back with you. Once you are ready, enter the gate. The entire icy passage is lined with 6 smaller inlets, each containing a chest which may contain ice arrows. However, the area is crawling with ice spiders (level 42) who do not show up on the mini-map, and may attack unremittingly while you are searching the chests. It will also be necessary to search the chests multiple times to obtain enough ice arrows; up to 14 arrows can be found in any one chest, but usually only a few chests will contain any arrows in one respawn period. If you are using abilities, you will only need two or three. More may be required without abilities.
The Fire Warrior of Lesarkus[edit | edit source]
Once you have a good number of arrows, return to the central corridor and enter the north gate. Head north into an alcove where there is a lever on the north wall. Right click the lever to search for traps first, then pull it. If you pull the lever with less than 42 Thieving, or don't check for traps, you will fall into a spike pit and take 200 points of damage. Successfully pulling the lever opens the gate into the Guardian Chamber, to the west. You have to enter the chamber quickly, or the lever and trap will reset.
Head to the north side of the chamber and try to open the door. A Fire Warrior will appear, and use a fire blast to shove you away from the door, although deals no damage. He must be killed using the ice arrows before the door can be opened.
With 40 Ranged, using abilities and a yew shortbow, lower levelled players may be able to defeat the Fire Warrior of Lesarkus using as few as two arrows. You can pick up ice arrows on the ground. Despite that he attacks with fire spells, he has melee range, which means you can easily safespot him across the skeletons in the room without ever being hit.
Once you have defeated him, you may pass into the next room. Waiting for too long will cause him to tell you to come back when you are stronger. However, you can continue fighting him and he will not have recovered to full health.
I get by with a little help from my friend[edit | edit source]
After passing through the door, talk to Winelda, who will request 20 unnoted limpwurt roots in exchange for transporting you across the lava in your path. If you already have the limpwurt roots in your inventory, she will take them automatically saying you're well prepared. Otherwise, give her the roots, and after a short cutscene you will be teleported across. Run to the end of the passage, past the large room, the skeletons and lesser demons, until you reach a safe area where you will find a shiny key. (It can be add to the keyring from One Small Favour.) Take the key and then head north-east and enter the compound of the Guardians of Armadyl.
If you die while obtaining the staff or by the lesser demons, you can get across the lava again without paying the limpwurt roots, and the fire guardian does not have to be killed a second time.
Choose your fate[edit | edit source]
Now you must decide if you want to side with Lucien or with the Guardians of Armadyl. Currently, the only difference this causes is that by siding with the Guardians you will receive a communiqué from them at some point and you can get the pendant of Armadyl easily (by asking the Guardians without killing them).
Side with the Guardians[edit | edit source]
Remove the pendant of Lucien and talk to one of the Guardians. They will be impressed that you have travelled so deep into the temple. Wearing it will make the guardian you are talking to be aggressive towards you, so if this happens, trap it, take it off and talk to another guardian. State that you are looking for the Staff of Armadyl and that Lucien will reward you for it. Disappointed, they will say that evil is lurking around you and gives you an option to be splashed with holy water; say that it is time for your yearly bath. The Guardian will cleanse you of Lucien's influence and warn you that he is a Mahjarrat, who must not get the staff, lest he become too powerful.
They will then give you the Armadyl pendant so that you can attack and defeat him. You may now either teleport out, or go back into the passageway, head east, and go up the ladder. You will find yourself in a shed outside McGrubor's Wood; use the shiny key to exit the shed. There is a fairy ring in McGrubor's Woods - just head west of the shed and slip through the loose railing.
After teleporting to Edgeville, make your way to the building across the River Lum, just outside the Grand Exchange western wall and south of the fairy ring dkr. You can also use Edgeville Home Teleport and run north-east across the bridge, then south. Equip the pendant of Armadyl and enter the house there. Now attack Lucien; he has only 1 life point. Lucien will state that he doesn't have time for this, and that he will get someone else to do his bidding.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Side with Lucien[edit | edit source]
Go to the north-west corner of the compound, and enter the small room. The staff is located on a table in the southern part of the room. When you attempt to take the staff, the guardians might catch you and attempt to stop you. Kill them if needed until you obtain the staff. Once you have the staff, you may either teleport out or go back into the passageway, head east, and go up the ladder. You will find yourself in a shed outside McGrubor's Wood. Use the shiny key to exit the shed.
After teleporting to Edgeville, make your way to the building across the River Lum, just outside the Grand Exchange western wall and south of the fairy ring dkr. You can also use Edgeville Home Teleport and run north-east across the bridge, then south. Enter the house and deliver the staff to Lucien.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 quest point
- 10,500 experience
- 8,000 experience
- Boots of lightness
- Pendant of Lucien, giving you access to the front door of the Temple of Ikov (dungeon)
- Armadyl pendant (If you sided with Armadyl, but you can get one by killing the guardians if you sided with Lucien)
- Shiny key for entering through the back door of the Temple of Ikov, from near McGrubor's Wood (can be added to the steel key ring after One Small Favour)
- Access to the Symbol of Armadyl gravestone (also requires The Giant Dwarf)
- 5 Kudos in the Varrock Museum if you talk to Historian Minas
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
- Music unlocked
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Temple of Ikov ( 0) – Complete this Experienced quest.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Temple of Ikov is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- 'Phite Club
- Azzanadra's Quest
- Full completion of Battle of the Monolith (miniquest)
- Children of Mah
- City of Senntisten
- Full completion of Curse of the Black Stone
- Desperate Measures
- Full completion of Desperate Times
- Dimension of Disaster
- Dimension of Disaster: Curse of Arrav
- Dimension of Disaster: Defender of Varrock
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Do No Evil
- Eye of Het I (miniquest)
- Eye of Het II (miniquest)
- Fate of the Gods
- Full completion of Heart of Stone
- Full completion of Hero's Welcome
- Hopespear's Will
- Kindred Spirits
- Koschei's Troubles
- Mahjarrat Memories
- Full completion of Missing, Presumed Death
- Full completion of Nadir (saga)
- Nomad's Elegy
- Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Finale
- Full completion of Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Fortunes
- One of a Kind
- Our Man in the North
- Rebuilding Edgeville
- Recipe for Disaster
- Recipe for Disaster: Defeating the Culinaromancer
- Ritual of the Mahjarrat
- River of Blood
- Sins of the Father
- Sliske's Endgame
- Tales of Nomad
- The Curse of Arrav
- The Curse of Zaros
- The General's Shadow
- The Light Within
- The Mighty Fall
- The Temple at Senntisten
- The Vault of Shadows (miniquest)
- Full completion of The World Wakes
- Wandering Ga'al
- While Guthix Sleeps
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
|Temple of Ikov|
|Developer||Paul Gower, Jon S (conversion to RuneScape 2)|
|Quest Help||Dan L|
|Databox • Talk page|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- update 1 June 2020 (Update):
- Fixed an issue where the player character would appear to climb the wrong side of the ladder in the Temple of Ikov.
- patch 18 November 2019 (Update):
- Added some chat dialogue to clarify why players can't cross the bridge in Temple of Ikov.
- ninja 28 August 2018 (Update):
- Armadyl communiqué is available to those who received it after the betrayal route of Temple of Ikov.
- patch 8 February 2016 (Update):
- Updated the quest start interface for the Temple of Ikov to reflect combat level calculation changes a while ago affecting the toughest enemy in the quest.
- patch 12 May 2014 (Update):
- Players attacking the mage before the end of the Temple of Ikov quest no longer have the chat box interrupted by combat.
- patch 4 February 2014 (Update):
- Audio no longer incorrectly loops when you fall from the broken bridge during the Temple of Ikov quest.
- patch 13 November 2013 (Update):
- patch 16 February 2010 (Update):
- Updated the code during the Temple of Ikov quest that deals with fire warriors.
- patch 12 May 2009 (Update):
- Ali the Wise's chat has been updated to reflect your actions in the Temple of Ikov quest.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Temple of Ikov was the first quest to feature the Mahjarrat.
- When Lucien says he will "reappear in the North", this is a reference to all the Mahjarrat heading to The North to perform a ritual, discovered during the quest The Tale of the Muspah and occurring during the Ritual of the Mahjarrat.
- When in the underground room, you can extinguish your light source. This is one of the few places where it will let you do this without a tinderbox.
- The ClusterFlutterer update on 25 October 2011 rendered this quest unfinishable for over a week, by preventing players from attaching the lever to the bracket, with the broken part of the quest being fixed on 3 November 2011.
- The icon of the quest shows Lucien's rejuvenated face, however at the time of this quest he has not been rejuvenated yet.
- Attempting to kill Lucien again once he respawns gives the message "You feel that fighting this individual would be of little practical use."
- When you give the 20 limpwurt roots to Winelda, she says "Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble." This is an adaptation from Shakespeare's Macbeth: "Double, double, toil and trouble. Fires burn and cauldrons bubble."
- Winelda's way of speaking is similar to that of Gollum, a character of the book and movie series "The Lord Of The Rings."
- If you try to attack Lucien before the end of the quest, once you have sided with him, he says "You do not want to attack me. I am your friend." He then waves his hand similar to the Star Wars Jedi mind trick. It then says "You decide not to attack Lucien. He is your friend."
|Part 1 of the The Rise of Lucien quest series|
|Mysteries of the Mahjarrat|
|Rise of Lucien|
|Return of Zaros|
|Lores and Histories|