|Release date||28 March 2006 (Update)|
|Location||Paterdomus and Burgh de Rott|
|Skills involved||Combat, Woodcutting, Firemaking, Cooking|
|Reward currency||Reward token|
|In spotlight rotation||No|
|Developers||• Original: Tytn H|
• Update: Chris L
|Infobox • Talk page|
Temple Trekking is a members-only minigame in which players must escort victims of vampyre rule from Burgh de Rott through Morytania to Paterdomus, which requires completion of the In Aid of the Myreque quest. On the way, the player must pass through Morytania's many dangers and obstacles, protecting the accompanying traveller until they reach the temple. The player must find a way across bogs and rivers and fight dangerous packs of monsters lurking in Morytania, some unique to this minigame.
Burgh de Rott Ramble is the reverse route in which the player escorts potential Myreque recruits from Paterdomus to Burgh de Rott, leading them through the same obstacles and monsters. Completing The Darkness of Hallowvale is a requirement to play this version of the minigame. Burgh de Rott Ramble was introduced on 13 March 2007.
A journey succeeds if the player and follower reach the destination. A journey fails if the player or follower is killed. If the player teleports out of the minigame, enters the lobby, or gets disconnected, they can speak to their follower at the start point and choose whether to abandon or continue the journey where they left off. During this minigame, the player can train their companion to make them stronger in combat and/or to unlock their abilities. It is recommended to make monsters aggressive towards the player, turn off auto-retaliate, and wait for the companion to attack and kill monsters. Using this method, companions can get many levels, while fighting a single monster. Good armour and food may be required.
Leveling all companions to max level completes the achievement Complete Trekky, required for the trimmed completionist cape and master quest cape, and is a prerequisite for the elite Morytania achievement, Thoroughly A-Ghast.
- 1 Requirements to start
- 2 Getting there
- 3 Difficulty
- 4 Supplying your follower
- 5 Recommended equipment
- 6 Events
- 7 Rewards
- 8 Achievement
- 9 History
- 10 Update history
- 11 Trivia
- 12 References
Requirements to start[edit | edit source]
The following quests must be completed to play this minigame:
Getting there[edit | edit source]
Temple Trekking starts at the town of Burgh de Rott by the northern gate. Start the minigame by reading the noticeboard nearby.
Burgh de Rott Ramble starts on the east side of the River Salve just outside the temple. A player can start at either side.
- Drakan's medallion teleport to Burgh de Rott (requires partial completion of The Branches of Darkmeyer).
- Games necklace teleport to Burgh de Rott (after unlocking the reward at Temple Trekking, requiring the total level of your companions to be at least 500).
- Kharyrll Teleport (requires completion of Desert Treasure and 66 Magic).
- Fairy ring code CKS (requires starting A Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen quest and getting permission from the Fairy Godfather and at least a dramen staff if A Fairy Tale III - Battle at Ork's Rift and Lunar Diplomacy are not completed).
- Teleporting to Canifis via the Lodestone Network.
- Using a player-owned house portal chamber with a Kharyrll Teleport.
- Teleport to the Slayer Tower just north of Canifis using a slayer ring.
Difficulty[edit | edit source]
The difficulty of either minigame is determined by whether the player chooses weaker or stronger NPCs (called followers) to escort and whether the player chooses to take easier or harder paths through Morytania. Escorting hard followers means more time and effort in healing and defending the follower when a combat event occurs. Taking harder paths means the monsters will have higher combat levels and come in greater numbers.
People to escort[edit | edit source]
There are a total of six people that can be escorted - three people for the journey to the Temple and three for Burgh De Rott. You can choose who to escort by using the noticeboard at the start point at Paterdomus or in Burgh De Rott. Each of the three people on each journey has a different difficulty - easy, medium and hard. For Temple Trekking, two are villagers and one is an adventurer, and for Burgh De Rott Ramble two are adventurers and one is a villager.
By being escorted, the follower will gain experience and levels. As they do so, they will gain new abilities and become more adept in combat. Their examine information and appearance will also change after receiving some new abilities. It will also allow the player to unlock certain rewards - some rewards require all of the followers to have reached a certain level.
It is possible to let your companion do much, if not all, of the fighting leading to fast level ups. This is easier for the mages and ranger, but can still be done with the warrior provided you have food to sustain him. This tactic works well with the Easy and Medium NPCs at the easy and medium route difficulties for the giant snail, ghast, nail beast, swamp snake, and shade events. All but the ghast event, at the hard route difficulty, will be too much for any NPC to tank except Pazuzu and Dean, if they've reached their power up levels (Pazuzu 75, Dean 80).
Routes[edit | edit source]
Once you have chosen someone to escort, you will need to choose which path to take. There are three paths, each a different difficulty, the main difference being the combat level of the monsters faced. This will only be the difficulty of the next event faced. Choosing the best path will be dependent upon combat level, available gear and which character is being escorted. After each encounter, players will be given the option of changing the path that they are currently taking.
At a certain follower level, your follower will be able to predict the events by left clicking on "Continue-x" tile. If the player chooses to disable prediction hints, they can be turned back on by speaking to Hiylik Myna in Burgh De Rott. You can tell your follower has gained this ability because they will run along with you as opposed to walking behind. In some followers it is also accompanied by a significant change in appearance.
- Easy route: In order to evade any combat events, players must kill at least 1 monster in the event. The monsters on this path are lower level. Tier 40 armour should be a minimum for combat events on this route. If monsters appear there will be at least 2.
- Medium route: In order to evade combat events, the player must complete at least 33% of the event first. Prayer may be useful for certain events depending on the player's level, so choosing pure defence or prayer armour will be at the player's discretion. If monsters appear, there are at least 3.
- Hard route: There is sometimes no way to evade any event. The monsters are high level. Prayer will be important to surviving this route at any level, so having prayer potions is recommended. If monsters appear there are at least 4. If escorting a "hard" NPC, certain events, such as the swamp snake and giant snail events, are particularly difficult. In these events, and a few others, multiple monsters will attack your follower extremely fast and can deliver a significant amount of damage in a very short period of time.
Supplying your follower[edit | edit source]
Followers have a Follower Inventory which has the following properties:
- It can hold 28 pieces of food, and nothing else; if a player tries to trade the follower something else they will receive the following message: 'You can only trade food to trek NPCs'.
- You cannot take back the food you have already given your follower.
- It is not possible to see what is already in the inventory, only how many more items can be given.
- To fill the inventory, right-click the follower, click "Trade", and then trade the desired food. If you receive a message stating that "The other person doesn't have space in their inventory for this trade" it means the follower's inventory is full of food.
- The inventory will retain food items from one trip to the next, even after logout.
- The inventory is shared across all followers; any food given to one follower will be available to all followers, regardless of difficulty and location.
During events the follower can be resupplied with food. For this reason, it is advantageous to allocate one inventory slot for a sack filled with a food, such as cabbages, allowing for the healing and food replenishment of the follower as much as 10 times per inventory slot.
Your follower will also have a Druid pouch.
Recommended equipment[edit | edit source]
The following items are recommended:
Weapons and armour[edit | edit source]
- Most monsters are weak to magic, so using magic is recommended. If you have lower combat stats, you may also bring melee and ranged weapons to kill snails, snakes, and nail beasts. Hybrid armour is a possibility.
- A halberd can be useful to melee monsters safely, especially if they get stuck behind obstacles.
- A snelm can be useful to reduce damage taken by giant snails.
- There are more than a handful of undead monsters here, so a Salve amulet (e) is recommended.
- Vampyres (both juvinates, and vyrewatch after Legacy of Seergaze) can only be harmed by the following weapons, from best to worst.
- The various forms of the reforged Sunspear are tier-78 two-handed weapons obtained during the River of Blood quest. The Sunspear can be switched between a melee spear, a ranged javelin and a magic staff by right-clicking and choosing the "Switch style" option. It is augmentable and automatically cremates vyre corpses when using it to kill vyrewatch, with a 20% chance to drop items from the shiny columbarium key table. However, it is degradable, with a full recharge costing 600,000 coins (or less on an armour stand), and the vyre corpses burned by its effect do not count towards the count that increases the effectiveness of all of these weapons against vampyres.
- The Sunspear is a tier-75 main-hand sword obtained at the end of The Lord of Vampyrium quest. Like its reforged form, the Sunspear automatically cremates vyres with increased drops when used to kill them. Because it is one-handed, it should be used with, for example, an off-hand blisterwood sickle.
- Blisterwood weapons are tier-70 weapons which can be made after reaching the blisterwood tree close to the end of The Branches of Darkmeyer. There are weapons for each combat style: a two-handed melee polearm, dual-wielded ranged stakes, and a magic staff. Additional blisterwood weapons are unlocked during The Lord of Vampyrium: dual-wielded sickles, a two-handed crossbow that uses stakes as ammo, and dual-wielded wand and orb.
- The Ivandis flail is a tier-20 two-handed melee weapon that requires completion of Legacy of Seergaze. The weapons below this on the list will not work on vyrewatch. It can be used similarly to a blessed silver sickle to refill druid pouches. This is not a consideration after you unlock the ouroboros pouch, which has unlimited charges and can be added to the tool belt.
- A crossbow (black or better is required) with silver bolts (tier-25 damage).
- The Rod of Ivandis is a tier-10 two-handed melee weapon that requires completion of In Aid of the Myreque.
- A blessed silver sickle or blessed hatchet may be used, but they are significantly weaker than bronze weapons.
- Silverlight/Darklight may be used, but they appear to have a damage cap of 100.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
- Druid pouch and blessed silver sickle, or preferably ouroboros pouch, to defend against ghasts. You can charge a druid pouch in most events. While all of the trek followers have druid pouches, if you do not, you will not be able to attack ghasts until their pouch activates, and they may rot a significant amount of your food. One trick to prevent the rotting of food is to drop all the food in your inventory when you encounter the ghast event, occasionally picking it up and dropping it again so it doesn't disappear.
- Food for personal healing and to heal the follower. Remember that the follower can accept any type of food mid-trip. Lobster, swordfish or monkfish is generally recommended, depending on your combat level, expertise, and whether you use Prayer, or not.
- Recommended to bring cheap, stackable food, such as sacks of onions, for the campsite event so you don't have to kill the snails for their meat. Note that a ghast attack will rot a whole sack.
- It may be worth it to bring a super defence potion to help tank monsters to avoid damage done to your follower. To speed up kills with the hard characters you might bring a magic potion of some kind. If doing easy/medium, you won't be needing combat boosts because the followers should do all the fighting.
- Prayer potions are recommended for players who intend to make significant use of prayers. In this case a holy wrench and the Reverence aura might also be helpful, as it will increase the amount of prayer restored when using a prayer restoring potion. Alternatively, an Ancient elven ritual shard can be used instead.
- Beast of burdens and combat familiars are very useful as noted above. Fruit bats are also useful, since the pineapples can be cut up into four rings which will allow you to feed the campsite victims, and the other fruit can be used as healing, opening up your inventory for drops.
- Drakan's medallion is useful for teleporting to Burgh de Rott if you fail a trek or for some reason only want to go in one direction (e.g. all other followers are max level).
- Enough open space to pick up items quickly during events. The things dropped by the monster you encounter may not sell at all so it may not be worth it if you want to stock up for multiple treks.
Events[edit | edit source]
There are 3 different types of events that might happen when you're moving forward - friendly events, combat events, and puzzle events. The specific event and difficulty of completing may depend on the difficulty of the route taken, although most events are possible regardless of difficulty.
Once an event occurs, the player and follower are pulled into the event area. The player will start in front of a section of path with blue stones. Right-clicking will display an Escape option, which completely abandons the trek and leaves the player wherever they have reached on the map, often in the middle of Mort Myre Swamp. At the opposite end of the area is the path that allows the player to "Continue-trek", once the event is completed. In combat events on the easy and medium routes, there are paths that evade-event that when used will skip the event and continue trekking, adding no reward and increasing the chance for another event. Some of the monsters must be killed before being able to use Evade-event.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
There are three types of rewards. Rewards from reward tokens, follower rewards and drops. After successfully completing a trek, the follower will give a reward token, which will be blue, yellow, or red tokens depending on the follower chosen, route chosen, how well events were handled and the amount of damage the follower took. You can exchange your token for rewards by leftclicking the token. Even though the examine text says "exchanged at Burgh de Rott", you can claim your reward anywhere. You will not receive a reward if your follower does all the attacking, when every event is evaded or when your follower teleports out due to low health. If your inventory is full upon arrival at the destination, your reward will be sent to your bank, or dropped on the ground if your bank is also full.
Here is the typical setup for tokens. Even if you take the hardest routes you can still receive a yellow token.
- 2 fights and 1 puzzle or 3 fights - Red token
- 1 fight and 2 puzzles or 1 fight and 1 puzzle - Yellow token
- 1 fight or 1 puzzle - Blue token
In addition to the rewards received from completing a trek, rewards are also gained by getting the followers to reach certain levels. Rewards for a single follower can be claimed from the respective follower's noticeboard tab. On the right under their level click on the green text to claim/toggle it. Rewards for your followers' total level can be obtained on the Rewards tab by clicking on the total count once it's green and then clicking the "claim" button.
Many of the monsters faced in this minigame will drop items, and these can be useful or valuable. Some of these drops can only be obtained by taking part in the minigame.
Reward tokens[edit | edit source]
The possible rewards
|Blue token||Yellow token||Red token|
|Silver stone spirit||55-165||75-225||120-360|
|Herbs (all kinds)||10-30 low herbs
(Guam to Harralander)
|3-11 medium herbs
(Ranarr to Kwuarm)
|2-7 high herbs|
(Snapdragon to Torstol)
Iron stone spirits
|XP Tome||1100 - 1650
|2035 - 3025
|4015 - 5005 |
This table shows the average reward for each reward rank of for each item.
|Item||Blue Token||Yellow Token||Red Token|
|Avg. Amount||GE Profit||Avg. Amount||GE Profit||Avg. Amount||GE Profit|
|Silver stone spirit||110||3,740||150||5,100||240||8,160|
|Herbs (all kinds)||20||20,600||7||51,292||4.5||27,466.2|
|Coal and Iron stone spirits||28 and 14||924||40 and 20||1,320||80 and 40||2,640|
A Tome of learning can be chosen as a reward. Unlike most experience tomes, the skill is predetermined. These tomes give some experience in one of the following skills: Agility, Thieving, Slayer, Firemaking, Fishing, Woodcutting, or Mining. The colour of the tome depends on the colour of the token.
|Blue tome||Level 1||Random amount of experience (1100-1650) in a defined skill.|
|Yellow tome||Level 2||Random amount of experience (2035-3025) in a defined skill.|
|Red tome||Level 3||Random amount of experience (4015-5005) in a defined skill.|
Follower rewards[edit | edit source]
- Constructor's outfit - Gives a bonus to Construction experience received while worn. The pieces are obtained separately as follows:
- Constructor's gloves - Training Pazuzu to level 85.
- Constructor's boots - Training Zachory Bragg to level 25.
- Constructor's hat - Training the companions to a total level of 200 or higher.
- Constructor's trousers - Training the companions to a total level of 300 or higher.
- Constructor's garb - Training the companions to a total level of 400 or higher.
- Rambler's backpack - Obtained by training Dean Vellio to level 25. This is a cosmetic item worn in the cape slot.
- Walking stick - Obtained by training Rolayne Twickit to level 40.
- Ouroboros pouch - Obtained by training Jayene Kliyn to level 99. The pouch acts as a Druid pouch with unlimited charges and can be added to the Slayer portion of the tool belt.
- Shortcut from the swamp gates to the Nature Grotto - Obtained by training the companions to a total level of 100 or higher.
- A Trapdoor Shortcut in Canifis to Mort'ton - Obtained by training Zachory Bragg to level 99. This shortcut uses the same trapdoor behind the tavern in Canifis. In order to use this shortcut, the option must be toggled on in the character interface by clicking on Zachory Bragg's level 99 description. The shortcut places the player's character next to the swamp boat in south-eastern Mort'ton.
- Burgh de Rott Teleport - unlocks a teleport to Burgh de Rott on the games necklace. Obtained by training the companions to a total level of 500 or higher.
- Ghast familiar - A familiar that prevents food decay in Mort Myre Swamp, gives Prayer experience for damage, makes ghasts non-aggressive in Morytania and restores 100 prayer points when the special move is used. Obtained by training all six companions to level 99, with an additional cost of 50,000 coins.
Drops[edit | edit source]
- Lumberjack clothing - a four-piece set that when worn gives a boost to Woodcutting experience. The clothing is received as a drop from Undead Lumberjacks during the Bridge puzzle event.
- Nail beast nails - Dropped by Nail beasts. Used in Herblore to make Sanfew serum.
- Talon beast charms - Dropped by Nail beasts. Can be used in Summoning to make talon beast pouches for a large amount of experience.
- Swamp snake hides - Dropped by Swamp snakes. Can be made into Snakeskin armour, or used in Summoning as the tertiary ingredient for Spirit cobra pouches.
- Shade remains - Dropped by Riyl shades, Asyn shades and Fiyr shades depending on the difficulty. Can be cremated as part of the Shades of Mort'ton minigame.
- Snail shells and Perfect snail shells - Dropped by giant snails. Can be sold to Barlak in Dorgesh-Kaan for 600 coins or 1000 coins & 500 Crafting experience, respectively.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
- Complete Trekky ( 40) – Fully level up all Temple Trekking companions.
- Beggars Can't Be Choosers ( 5) – Feed a survivor in the Temple Trekking scenario only great gunkan or great maki to progress.
History[edit | edit source]
- Before the 13 March 2007 update, you were required to travel back to Burgh de Rott to collect the reward and restart the game. Now, the player has the option to escort mercenaries from Paterdomus to Burgh de Rott for a reward in the same fashion if The Darkness of Hallowvale is completed. This allows the game to be endlessly repeated with rewards at each end of the trip.
- Before 24 April 2007, Wildblood seeds were given instead of Watermelon seeds, the maximum amount being 55.
Revamp[edit | edit source]
On 17 August 2011, the minigame received a major overhaul. A great deal was changed with this update. Previously, there were many more followers that could be selected (see below), and the follower would not take part in combat, unless attacked. There was also no levelling system for the followers. The treks were started by talking to the NPC. A few new followers were added with the update.
The trails themselves functioned differently - the player would select the difficulty before the trail and would have to complete the whole trail at that difficulty. Also, two new events were added - the graveyard of skeletons and the nature grotto fires.
The rewards system was also slightly different before this update - previously, players could not choose rewards, they were received at random by turning in the reward token at Hiylik Myna at Paterdomus or Cornelius in Burgh de Rott. A number of new rewards were added with the update, such as the constructor's outfit, the shortcut to the Nature Spirit's grotto, the teleport to Burgh de Rott and the Ghast familiar.
The previous followers, now removed from the game, were:
- Easy: Fyiona Fray, Dalcian Fang, Mage and Adventurer
- Medium: Valantay Eppel, Ranger and Apprentice. Jayene Kliyn used to attack barehandedly.
- Hard: Woman-At-Arms and Forester. Rolayne Twickit used to be at Burgh de Rott and Smiddi Ryak used to be a child.
Initially, anyone who had tokens left over from before the update were unable to redeem them for the new rewards. This was fixed the next day with an update.
- Players now receive 25 Ghastly request scrolls instead of 15.
- Attacking an enemy that is fighting your companion now pulls the threat away from him/her.
- "Hard" companions now receive slightly more experience for completing an event.
- Ranger and mage companions’ accuracy has been increased.
- Trekkers will now eat at below 50% health instead of 25%.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 9 July 2018 (Update):
- A "Yes, and don't ask me again" option has been added when progressing through each difficulty of Temple Trekking. This warning can be re-enabled by talking to Hiylik Myna again.
- ninja 6 November 2017 (Update):
- The ability to quick travel to Temple Trekking is now available on the Mort Myre Swamp entrance gates via a right click option instead of a toggle.
- ninja 17 October 2016 (Update):
- The sick people's thanking dialogue has been changed to overhead, and improved pathing around them smooths out the experience.
- The exit point on the Paterdomus sign closer to the noticeboard.
- Vyrewatch spawns have been moved further from the swamp water.
- Timbo has taken another victim in Morytania, near the Temple Trekking Canifis-side signpost.
- The speed that the fire spreads and that water spells can be fired in the grotto fire event have both been increased.
- Blocking has been removed from non-burning plants during the grotto fire event.
- A Quick-start button has been added to the noticeboard after selecting a trekker.
- Swamp snakes now appear above their dead brethren, their clickable area has been improved.
- patch 3 August 2015 (Update):
- The compass is no longer hidden after the tentacle monster event in Temple Trekking.
- patch 20 July 2015 (Update):
- A stretching issue on a rope swing in Temple Trekking has been resolved.
- patch 13 January 2014 (Update):
- patch 14 January 2013 (Update):
- NPCs throughout Temple Trekking no longer regenerate health when out of combat.
- patch 30 April 2012 (Update):
- Starving NPCs will now only eat one item of stackable food during Temple Trekking.
- An NPC cutting down a tree in Temple Trekking now shows the correct tree stump.
- patch 2 April 2012 (Update):
- The text when a reward token is dropped on the floor in Temple Trekking / Burgh de Rott Ramble has been altered.
- patch 27 March 2012 (Update):
- Temple Trek reward tokens will now be banked if players have a full inventory. If players have a full bank they will be dropped on the floor. Players will be notified in both cases.
- patch 7 February 2012 (Update):
- Ghasts in Temple Trekking now correctly award Prayer XP.
- Players can no longer poison Temple Trekking shades.
- patch 4 October 2011 (Update):
- Trying to walk around the sickly people in the ghast Temple Trekking event is now easier.
- patch 21 September 2011 (Update):
- Baskets of strawberries no longer confuse your follower in Temple Trekking.
- patch 6 September 2011 (Update):
- The ouroboros pouch from Temple Trekking now works correctly with While Guthix Sleeps.
- The shortcut reward from Temple Trekking no longer requires free inventory space to toggle.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If you have an aura active when you receive water-power from the Nature Spirit event it will turn blue and stay blue even after the effect wears off, but it will go back to normal when you swap weapons. The same applies for the charged dragonfire shield, but the colour change appears to stay until logout or upon teleport.
- The fire cape seems to be the only item that is too hot to be cooled by the water-power effect, and so the fire cape will not change into blue. The icons of updated skillcapes are also unaffected.
- Despite different names, the same message is displayed after revealing a Ghast with the ouroboros or druid pouch.
- During the Swamp Monster event a number of Internet memes are referred to: talking to the companion prior to killing the head results in him/her saying "What is this? I don't even...", and also in the dialogue the companion says "Tentacle alert".
- During the Grotto puzzle event, some companions will respond with "Green guy needs a hand. Seems legit." when talked to before completing the event. This is a reference to another Internet meme.
- In the shades event it is possible to search the shelf and receive the Diary of Herbi Flax from the quest Shades of Mort'ton.
- Raising every follower to level 99 used to be a requirement for the trimmed Completionist cape, but with the addition of the Morytania achievements set, this is now a requirement for the Morytania legs 4 and consequently the regular Completionist cape.
- In the reward token menu, you can choose silver bars as a reward, but the image is a bronze bar.
- When a companion levels during a trek the old level up fireworks are used.
- Some companions still use the old graphics for armour (Pazuzu has old mystic robes).
- There used to be a glitch where after crossing the bridge on the nature's grotto event and activating the water power, the character would turn blue and then return back to normal for the rest of the event. This bug did not affect everyone and was patched on 2 April 2012.
- During the nature's grotto event, there is a glitch with the dragonfire shield where after you recover from turning blue, the flame on the shield remains blue. This glitch is not visible to other characters. The glitch goes away when you either log out or change a visible piece of armour or weapon. If you re-equip the same piece of armour, the glitch remains. This glitch also applies to the blisterwood staff and the abyssal wand and orb, although the glitch only occurs when both wand and orb are wielded together.
- Also, during the nature's grotto event, there is a glitch in which while the nature spirit does the "fear" emote, he becomes opaque, then turns back transparent when he is done.
- When in the southern side of Fareed's smoke dungeon it is possible to see some of the Temple Trekking scenes.
- The easy route's hint on the Nature Grotto event claims it is under attack from ghasts, though they are not involved in the event.
References[edit | edit source]