Telos, the Warden
|Telos, the Warden|
|Release||27 June 2016 (Update)|
|It won't stop until it can be sure the Heart is safe.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|300 / 200 / 100|
4 ticks (2.4s)
|Not immune||Not immune||Not immune||Not immune|
|Links||bestiary • MRND|
|FAQ • doc|
Telos, the Warden is a creation of the Elder Gods born from the Anima Mundi residing in the Heart of Gielinor. Due to the fighting above, Telos is slowly beginning to awaken. However, Telos is only interested in protecting the Heart, and not Gielinor as a whole. Realising the threat it may cause to the inhabitants of Gielinor, Soothsayer Sybil sent the World Guardian to stop Telos before it becomes too powerful.
He is billed as the toughest solo boss monster in RuneScape. His chamber is accessible through a large "tree" like structure in the middle of the dungeon.
To fight Telos, players first must obtain an ancient sigil. The four components of the sigil can be obtained by killing all the generals in the Heart at least once; therefore, there is a minimum of 80 Attack, Prayer, Magic and Ranged required to reach Telos. The components are always a guaranteed drop, but only appear to the player who dealt the most damage to the boss. Once used on the door in the middle of the dungeon, it will be consumed and give the player permanent access to the boss chamber.
Killing Telos is a possible Soul Reaper assignment. The assigned number of kills can vary between 2 and 8.
Telos is one of the bosses required to unlock the title [Name] the Reaper, which is a requirement for the Reaper Crew achievement. Defeating Telos at a minimum of 100% enrage or greater is a requirement for the trimmed completionist cape. Upon killing Telos at 500% or more enrage, players unlock title. A silver version of the title can be unlocked by killing Telos at 2,000% enrage. A gold version of the title can be unlocked by killing Telos at 4,000% enrage.
Deathtouched darts work against Telos, clearing one phase for each dart used. They may be used to achieve the trimmed completionist requirement, along with increasing enrage, although they will not work for obtaining any of the Warden titles.
Obtaining all of Telos's unique drops will unlock the title, [Name] the Dormant.
The music track Anima is unlocked by entering Telos's arena.
Strategies[edit | edit source]
While fighting Telos at under 100% enrage, the player will progress through four phases, each of which - upon successful completion of the phase - involve Telos and the player gradually descending down platforms into the Heart of Gielinor. If Telos is encountered at an enrage level of 100% or greater, the fight is extended to five phases, the last of which involves mechanics abstracted from all four phases preceding it.
Telos's difficulty is scalable: players are able to choose the fight's difficulty which affects both his strength and potential reward value. To do so, the player must successfully defeat Telos at an enrage level greater than 0% (see below). Then, when initiating a confrontation with Telos, the player will receive an interface in which they may select a custom enrage level (between 0% and the highest enrage level on which they successfully scored a kill plus 5%). Players can obtain all of Telos's unique drops at any enrage (see drops section below). As he gains enrage, his combat level, life points, and damage inflicted increase.
The life points cap at 600,000 points at 200% enrage for the first four phases. Phase 5 caps at 200,000 life points at 300%, which gives Telos a maximum of 800,000 life points. Some of Telos' mechanics also cap at specific enrages; for example, the three anima fonts cap at 10,000 life points at 500% enrage, and breaking free of his tendril attack caps at 30,000 damage at 2700% enrage.
As with many other high-level bosses, all forms of teleportation are blocked during the fight, making it a fight to the death.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Telos has a special drop interface compared to other bosses possessing such a feature (e.g. Araxxi). He possesses three "tiers" of drops; Bronze, Silver and Gold. These tiers affect the chances of which a unique drop can be obtained, but otherwise it generally has no actual effect on the chances of common drops. Telos will always drop loot upon defeat. Upon receiving loot, players have the option to continue the challenge, or claim the rewards. This must be done after each kill, as the game will prevent the player from fighting Telos again until this is completed. Claiming the rewards will immediately send all rewards to the bank (money pouch for coins), and reset both Telos' enrage and kill streak to 0.
Continuing the challenge will cause Telos to gain anywhere from 5-20% enrage, which is added onto the next battle with him. This makes the next fight harder, but will also increase the chance of getting a unique or high-value drop upon defeating Telos with sufficient killstreak. Subsequent challenges continue to stack new enrage to the current stack, capping at a total of 4000%. Logging out does not reset the killstreak. This process can be continued as long as the player wishes, though there is a cap of 200 kills that can be "stored" in the trove; if the player attempts to defeat Telos more than 200 times in a given killstreak, the game will prevent you from fighting Telos until you claim your rewards. 
The message given when reaching the maximum streak is: Congratulations, you have reached the maximum streak length. You won't be able to continue your streak and will need to cash out now.
Although the player may teleport out of the arena following Telos' defeat, the player must claim their loot or continue the challenge in order to do so; attempting to do so beforehand will prompt the Trove of Telos interface to appear. If players right-click the anima stream to leave the arena, they must interact with the font at the lobby area instead.
Telos' drops are only affected with the luck of the Dwarves or hazelmere's signet ring. Unlike other bosses, the aforementioned rings can be brought in at any time, and as such it's important to equip it before claiming your rewards to avoid missing out on unique rewards the ring may find.
|3 or lower||No change to the chest.|
|4||A "second" chest is generated. It can cause the following:
If the player dies while fighting Telos, whether it be a normal death or disconnect, then Telos will "reclaim" some of his rewards from the chest. As players increase their killstreak, they will retain more of the rewards upon death; this starts at 5%, and increases by 5% every successful kill afterwards up to 75% at 15 kills. This reduction applies by whole numbers of the items held in the chest, not the total value of rewards. For example, if the player possesses 16 uncut onyxes in the chest but dies with a killstreak of 58, then 4 of these onyxes would be lost, while the other 12 would be kept by the player.
The player must claim their rewards from the font if they are killed fighting with Telos, as the game will prevent them from fighting him otherwise.
Unique[edit | edit source]
The drop rate of the unique items is dependent on Telos's enrage and killstreak; the higher these two values are (especially the latter), the higher the chance a unique drop will be rolled upon defeating Telos.
Killing Telos within 25-99% enrage will grant the player Silver tier loot, which has a 10 times reduced chance to access the unique drop table. If the enrage is below 25%, the player will be awarded Bronze tier loot, which has a 3 times reduced chance on top of the previous drop modifier, meaning that obtaining unique drops would be 30 times rarer than normal.
It was worked out that the equation for the unique item drop rates could be:
Where is the enrage of Telos, is the number of total kills done in the streak (so Streak+1 if using the Streak value in the loot interface), and is either 25 or 0, depending on whether the chest was looted with Luck of the Dwarves worn or not. It is stated that the drop rate caps at approximately 2000% enrage and 200 streak, which results in a 1/9 drop rate for uniques. A 4000% enrage kill with no streak also yields the same result.
The validity of this formula remains unconfirmed, but it matches the known drop rates at different streaks and enrages revealed by Mod Timbo perfectly. The equation was discovered by noticing that the drop chance increases linearly at different enrages at a constant enrage (i.e 10% each kill). The streak's factor in the equation was deduced by assuming a similar linear increase in the drop chance, and by being then able to predict the known drop rates at different streaks.
Using this equation, it appears that the best strategy for making money would be streaking from 100% enrage to the highest enrage that Telos can be consistently defeated.
When the unique item table is rolled, the player has the chance for the following:
- 75/115 chance of receiving their next anima orb in sequence (this also counts those unclaimed in a chest)
- 10/115 chance of receiving a Dormant Seren Godbow
- 10/115 chance of receiving a Dormant Zaros Godsword
- 10/115 chance of receiving a Dormant staff of Sliske
- 10/115 chance of receiving a Reprisal ability codex
- The expected number of uniques to complete the Telos boss collection log (pet ignored) is 24.0.
- The expected number of uniques to complete the Telos boss collection log (pet ignored) and to make all three weapons (9 orbs required) is 25.3.
Calculator[edit | edit source]
- The same calculator along with documentation can be found at the top of this page.
template = Calculator:Template/Combat/Telos form = exprCalcForm result = exprCalcResult param = enrage|Enrage|100|int|0-4000 param = streak|Streak|1|int|1-200 param = lotd|T4 luck?|false|check|true,false
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Orb of corrupted anima[d 1] (m)||1||Varies||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Orb of volcanic anima[d 1] (m)||1||Varies||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Orb of pure anima[d 1] (m)||1||Varies||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Dormant Seren godbow (m)||1||Varies||11,731,285||300,000|
|Dormant staff of Sliske (m)||1||Varies||34,501,394||300,000|
|Dormant Zaros godsword (m)||1||Varies||44,959,348||300,000|
|Reprisal Ability Codex[d 2]  (m)||1||Varies||124,399,586||750,000|
|Telos' tendril (m)||1||Very rare[d 3]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
- ^ a b c The anima orbs are always dropped in the following order, in a manner similar to the way in which Crystal triskelion fragments are dropped: Orb of pure anima, Orb of volcanic anima, then Orb of corrupted anima.
- ^ This item replaced the Dormant Zamorakian Ability Codex drop from Telos, the Warden following a hotfix on 6 July 2016.
- ^ Has a base drop rate of 1/1,400 (increasing to 1/700 in encounters of 100% and greater enrage) with both following a threshold of 300. It is automatically added to the player's inventory if it is received and dropped to the ground beneath them if their inventory is full.
Other[edit | edit source]
The quantity of the rewards is dependent on the player's killstreak. As the player's killstreak increases, both the maximum and minimum values of potential rewards will continue to increase; only uncut onyxes are unaffected by the minimum value, which is always 1. The maximum values listed below are likely to be even higher with very high killstreak.
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Light animica stone spirit (m)||20–41||Uncommon||185,540-380,357||Not alchemisable|
|Wine of Saradomin (m)||13–99||Rare||753,402-5,737,446||0|
|Grimy lantadyme (m)||67–547||Uncommon||514,962-4,204,242||0|
|Grimy toadflax (m)||68–480||Uncommon||748,884-5,286,240||0|
|Grimy torstol (m)||69–469||Uncommon||376,947-2,562,147||0|
|Grimy dwarf weed (m)||68–504||Uncommon||560,320-4,152,960||0|
|Crystal key (m)||13–150||Uncommon||284,700-3,285,000||0|
|Crushed nest (m)||45–379||Uncommon||308,160-2,595,392||0|
|Luminous energy (m)||1,150–9,870||Uncommon||339,250-2,911,650||Not alchemisable|
|Incandescent energy (m)||900–7,038||Uncommon||394,200-3,082,644||Not alchemisable|
|Tiny blunt rune salvage||68–684||Uncommon||455,328-4,580,064||544,000-5,472,000|
|Raw rocktail (m)||138–1,518||Uncommon||591,192-6,503,112||49,680-546,480|
|Uncut dragonstone (m)||46–512||Uncommon||562,304-6,258,688||27,600-307,200|
|Uncut onyx (m)||1–13||Rare||2,312,136-30,057,768||1,080,000-14,040,000|
|Onyx bolt tips (m)||107–1,443||Uncommon||772,112-10,412,688||577,800-7,792,200|
|Dragon dart tip (m)||500–4,284||Uncommon||452,500-3,877,020||75,000-642,600|
|Dragon arrowheads (m)||1,137–7,312||Uncommon||310,401-1,996,176||341,100-2,193,600|
|Small bladed rune salvage||30–601||Uncommon||436,290-8,740,343||480,000-9,616,000|
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These items are dropped alongside main drops.
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Mimic kill token (m)||1||Very rare||5,285||Not alchemisable|
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Stuffed With Anima ( 55) – Defeat Telos (on 100%+ enrage) after letting him reach a full anima bar in all 5 phases.
- Coursing Through You ( 70) – Defeat Telos while taking the full damage of the virus in the fifth phase.
- Party Anima ( 0) – Obtained a collection of unique drops from Telos.
- Telos Where it Hurts:
- Telos Where it Hurts I ( 5) – Defeat Telos. (X/5)
- Telos Where it Hurts II ( 5) – Defeat Telos. (X/10)
- Telos Where it Hurts III ( 5) – Defeat Telos. (X/25)
- Telos Where it Hurts IV ( 5) – Defeat Telos. (X/50)
- Telos Where it Hurts V ( 5) – Defeat Telos. (X/75)
- Telos Where it Hurts VI ( 5) – Defeat Telos. (X/100)
- Telos If You're Angry:
- Telos If You're Angry I ( 5) – Defeat Telos at 50% enrage.
- Telos If You're Angry II ( 5) – Defeat Telos at 100% enrage.
- Telos If You're Angry III ( 5) – Defeat Telos at 250% enrage.
- Telos If You're Angry IV ( 5) – Defeat Telos at 500% enrage.
- Telos If You're Angry V ( 5) – Defeat Telos at 750% enrage.
- Telos If You're Angry VI ( 5) – Defeat Telos at 1,000% enrage.
- So You Think You Can Guard? ( 0) – Obtained by defeating Telos at 2000% enrage.
- The True Warden ( 0) – Obtained by defeating Telos at 4000% enrage.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 9 March 2020 (Update):
- The defend animation removal was missed from Telos and they have now been removed from this encounter.
- patch 16 September 2019 (Update):
- An issue where some of the curse prayers would stall the player and fail to initiate a Telos encounter has been fixed.
- patch 1 July 2019 (Update):
- Telos' enrage in practice mode can now be customised with any enrage, up to 4000%.
- The chat message which highlights the % Enrage Telos will start with now appears in red.
- patch 10 June 2019 (Update):
- Adamantite stone spirits now replaced with Runite stone spirits.
- Runite stone spirits now replaced with small bladed rune salvage.
- patch 21 January 2019 (Update):
- The damage modifiers from damage enhancing scrimshaws, Berserker auras and the Metamorphosis ability are now calculated earlier. This means that bosses phase correctly when they reach their HP threshold and mechanics that rely on damage to progress (such as Telos' tendrils or Vorago's pushback phases (Phase 5 - Normal Mode, Phase 10/11 - Hard Mode)) will now take the additional damage from the modifiers into the equation.
- We've now added a way to track your highest Telos streak, everyone's will start at 0 and streaks completed from the launch of this update will track your highest streak.
- You can now quickchat your current Telos killstreak and enrage as well as quickchat your highest killstreak.
- When viewing Telos in the beast tab it'll now display your highest killstreak.
- ninja 11 June 2018 (Update):
- It is now possible to teleport from Telos' arena once it has been defeated.
- hotfix 14 March 2018 (Update):
- Telos can no longer occasionally be instantly forced into phase 2 with his lifepoints intact.
- patch 5 February 2018 (Update):
- Attacking a Golem will now force it to appear over Telos when Telos is siphoning a font in Phase four. This will only happen when the minions are your active target.
- Telos' anima bar will now reset correctly if a player uses Immortality and survives his insta-kill bomb in Phase five.
- patch 29 January 2018 (Update):
- Players can no longer use box traps or mithril seeds to skip Telos' tendril attack.
- patch 8 January 2018 (Update):
- Using Dominion Mines no longer skips the tendrils mechanic during the Telos encounter.
- The 'So Much Power' special attack in the Telos encounter will no longer deal damage to the player at the start of phase 5.
- ninja 11 September 2017 (Update):
- Players can now see their current streak and loot while in the middle of a streak at Telos.
- patch 4 September 2017 (Update):
- The golems in the Telos encounter will no longer hit players after Telos begins his death animation.
- ninja 31 July 2017 (Update):
- A "Use Last Custom Enrage" option has been added for Telos via right-clicking the entrance roots.
- patch 3 April 2017 (Update):
- Telos's weak anima bomb no longer carries over from Phase 4 to Phase 5.
- patch 27 March 2017 (Update):
- Telos's shockwave will no longer hurt you on the transition between phases 3 and 4.
- Telos's "SO. MUCH. POWER!" attack will no longer injure you if you get hit by it while transitioning from Phase 1 to 2.
- You can now track your current Telos kill streak in the Beasts tab.
- patch 6 March 2017 (Update):
- patch 16 January 2017 (Update):
- Telos will now drag players into melee distance when casting tendrils if they're outside the max range of their equipped weapon.
- Adrenaline is no longer lost when transitioning to phase 5 of Telos.
- patch 24 October 2016 (Update):
- Entering a Telos encounter will now offer the ability to fight an extra 5% above highest enrage. This is so players no longer need to perform two kills to get to a new highest enrage.
- Several phase indicators have been added to Telos's life points interface.
- patch 3 October 2016 (Update):
- Fixed the behaviour of Telos and the Heart of Gielinor bosses to no longer punish players unnecessarily.
- hotfix 3 October 2016 (Update):
- Telos will no longer drop a rock on a player who has not engaged with him fast enough after waking him.
- Telos will no longer drop a rock after he has completed using a tendril on a player.
- The Telos rockfall mechanic in phase 4 has been made be less punishing.
- Some more changes to Telos to reduce the effect of the anti-safe spot changes have been made.
- ninja 3 October 2016 (Update):
- The current enrage for Araxxor and highest & current enrage for Telos have been added to the “Beasts” interface in their appropriate tab.
- The current Telos killstreak & enrage is now displayed in the “Loot” interface.
- patch 26 September 2016 (Update):
- Rocks will now fall from the ceiling if Telos is unable to attack.
- nxt 19 September 2016 (Update):
- Removed the anim update as it was causing the Telos boss to crash the client.
- patch 1 August 2016 (Update):
- patch 18 July 2016 (Update):
- A percentage of loot is now kept when dying while on a kill streak at Telos.
- There is now a streamlined loot process to speed up the Telos loot and increasing enrage process. This can be toggled on the Telos loot interface.
- Tooltips have been added to the Telos loot interface for better information of different prize tiers & kill streaks.
- patch 11 July 2016 (Update):
- Telos is now always attackable with Melee when dragged for the tendril attack.
- Telos's dialogue is now displayed clearly in the chat window, and all important mechanic messages now stand out.
- The word 'solo' has been removed from the Telos enrage world first broadcasts.
- After 50% enrage, Telos will now gain the ability to restore his stats periodically.
- Telos now kneels in his dormant form.
- Telos's clickzone has been removed from the arms in phase 5.
- Minions summoned in phase 5 of Telos no longer regenerate health.
- Anima-golems in phase 3 of the Telos encounter can no longer be killed.
- Telos no longer decides to go back to sleep once awoken.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- There were global broadcasts for the first player to reach 100% enrage and every 100% increase in enrage after that. The first regular and hardcore ironman players to unlock the Warden title were also globally broadcast.
- On 11 August 2017, the player sadden became the first player to defeat Telos at 4000% enrage. Dialogue referring to this event was added to Soothsayer Sybil on 14 August 2017.
- Because Telos' combat level increases with his enrage, he (as well as his three golems) would technically be the strongest monster in RuneScape when fought in an encounter of 801% or higher enrage, which would give him a combat level of 10,010, exceeding Vorago, Yakamaru, and Seiryu the Azure Serpent.
- At 4000% enrage, Telos' and his three golems' combat levels are 42,000. His auto-attacks can deal over 20,000 damage, and his "SO. MUCH. POWER!" attack deals 49,995 damage.
- A new solo boss monster was first mentioned at RuneFest 2015. Concept art from Runefest showed a boss fight taking place underwater, however the underwater concept was later changed to the fight taking place in the Heart of Gielinor.
- Telos is the Greek word for purpose, aim, end, goal, or objective.
- Upon release, there was a glitch/bug where with damage scrimshaws, it was possible for Telos to drop to 0 life points during the first three phases, "killing" him early. This would result in the player being unable to proceed further. This has since been hotfixed.
- When successfully defeated by a player, the following message is displayed in the player's RuneMetrics event log: "I killed Telos, the final defender of the Heart of Gielinor." If the player defeats Telos more than once in a gameplay session, the message is changed to "I killed x Telos, the final defenders of the Heart of Gielinor".
- For a few days after release, players on a killstreak would lose all of their accumulated loot if they entered the arena and left without waking Telos. This has since been hotfixed.
- Unlike other bosses that have a timer to record a player's personal fastest kill, the timer for Telos only appears at kills with 100% or more enrage.
- The patch notes of 18 July 2016 changed the following:
- Prior to the change, a player on a killstreak lost all of their rewards if they died or left while fighting Telos. This was changed because of how harsh this mechanic was, especially for players who disconnected during a fight. A change was implemented to allow players to retain some of the rewards if they die to Telos.
- The player used to have to "spin" interfaces to determine their reward and enrage gained. Since it was already pre-determined, a streamlined option was added which will give the player their rewards and how much enrage Telos gains if they choose to continue the encounter.
- On 26 September 2016, Telos received a combat update which allows him to perform rock fall attacks at any enrage level if he is unable to attack the player. However, players reported multiple bugs, which were fixed on 3 October 2016.
- Telos would not attempt to melee the player on phase 2.
- The fonts on phase 4 were already charged. In addition, when Telos is siphoning the fonts, the game would think that Telos is unable to attack the player and would send rocks crashing down on the player's position.
- On 24 October 2016, Telos received an update for his enrage mechanic. The player can now fight Telos at their highest enrage + 5%. This is to help the player reach higher enrages, as the original method to obtain higher enrages was to defeat Telos with the enrage provided, and failing the kill in that enrage would force players to start over again. In addition, phase indicators were also added on his life points interface so players could know how much damage was needed before the next phase would start.
- There is an occasional glitch where upon getting close to Telos, he will attempt to wake but suddenly turn dormant again. This can be fixed by moving away before running next to him.
- Although the Behind the Scenes stated that Telos would use all three styles of combat, neither Telos or any of his minions use any type of ranged attack.
- In the Beasts tab, when viewing Telos' "The End" attack, it shows him using it in his phase 1-4 form, rather than the phase 5 form.
- His font drain attack also uses a different animation than the one used in the fight.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for this boss was 11,076 kills.
- If a player should die shortly after Telos is defeated in phase 5 (the most likely reason for which being bleed damage of the trimmed masterwork armour if using melee), they will receive the message saying that their streak has been reset. However, checking the font in the lobby will show that the player is in fact able to continue.
- Unlike other chest bosses where their drops would be listed in the Drops interface regardless of setting, rewards obtained from Telos will only be seen if the player's Drop filter is set to "Drop"; "Loot" does not add the rewards to the drop interface.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ This Summer in RuneScape - the Summer Summit. 31 May 2016.*
- ^ Dev Q&A - June Month Ahead - Gower Quest sneak peek. 7 June 2016.*
- ^ Patch Notes Preview with Mod Shauny! - 8PM UTC. 15 July 2016.*
- ^ Hazelmere0. Analysing Telos data and the Solved drop rate equation. 11 November 2017. (Archived from the original on 11 November 2017.)
- ^ July - the Month Ahead Q&A. 5 July 2016.*
- ^ Mod Shauny. RSHotfix: Ability Codex tomorrow. reddit.com. 5 July 2016.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 4 July 2016. Mod Ramen: "1400." The question was: Is the Telos pet 1/1400 below 100% enr, or 1/1050?
- ^ Summer Summit recap & PoH rework sneak peek. 31 May 2016.*
- ^ Dev Q&A - June Month Ahead - Gower Quest sneak peek. 7 June 2016.*
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. Reddit. 2 February 2018. (Archived from the original on 25 January 2019.) Mod Shauny: "Here are the top 10 kills for each Boss in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 20 Boss Killers by Monster (Data: 13th December 2018). Reddit. 8 January 2019. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2020.) Mod Shauny: "[link to a spreadsheet]"
|NPCs and items|