Teleport Block is a spell in RuneScape that requires a Magic level of 85 and can only be cast on another player in the Wilderness or whilst playing PvP minigames. If successful, it will prevent that player from using almost all forms of teleportation (both through spellbooks and through enchanted items) for five minutes. If the cast is successful but the target had Protect from Magic or Deflect Magic active when it was cast, the spell will only last for 2 minutes 30 seconds. The spell will also wear off upon leaving the Wilderness by any means or if the targeted player is killed while under the effects of Immortality.
It is used throughout the Wilderness to prevent players from taking advantage of their own teleportation items and objects, such as levers and wilderness obelisks. It is more often used in low to medium levelled Wilderness, as there are few methods of teleporting in the deep Wilderness.
The animation for teleport block is very small, spins quickly, and is dark purple, so it is hard to see it in many places. Therefore, many players do not realise they have been teleport blocked until they attempt to teleport. Players receive the message A teleport block has been cast on you! in their chatbox when they are hit with the teleport block spell.
While teleport blocked, The Abyss cannot be accessed through the Zamorak Mage in the Wilderness.
Plays when players cast the teleport block spell.
To avoid a teleport block, it is advised to use a one-click-teleport in the players hotbar. If the player is able to react quickly enough, they might be able to teleport before the opponent is able to cast the teleport block spell. The reason for that is that the opponent changes their animation into the fighting stance, which makes it rather easy to detect attacking players. However, if the animation of the spell itself is already played, it is too late to teleport away. Furthermore, changing into the fighting stance animation does not necessarily mean that the opponent is about to cast the teleport block spell; it could mean they are about to engage in combat.
This is particularly useful when the player is runecrafting through the abyss because player killers do not move most of the time, so it is easy to recognise an attacking player killer before they casts teleport block.
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- patch 25 January 2016 (Update):
- Casting a bind or teleport block spell on a moving or out-of-range opponent in PvP will no longer cause you to stop moving.
- patch 28 September 2015 (Update):
- Teleblock immunity is now removed correctly when exiting the Wilderness.
- It is the highest level spell available to non-members.
- If a player has been targeted by a teleport block but they manage to teleport before the spell hits them, the spell will follow them to their destination.
- Teleport Block is the only non-member spell which uses death runes.
- The spell was temporarily replaced on 10 December 2007 by Bounty Locate, at which time revenants took on the ability to teleport block. It was reinstated for players with the release of PvP worlds on 15 October 2008. Revenants were able to cast teleport blocks on players during the time they roamed the Wilderness but lost the ability when they were banished to Forinthry Dungeon. The Forinthry bracelet protected against revenant teleport blocks prior to their banishment.
- Attempting to cast teleport block on an NPC will generate the message, "Nothing interesting happens."