Technology trees are various routes to unlock additional materials and devices while training Invention. The human technology tree is the default technology tree and does not have any tasks.
The tech tree system relies on completing tasks to earn currency for that specialisation. The currency is then used to unlock blueprints, which can then be researched like other Invention discoveries.
There are currently three main discoverable tech trees:
- Cave goblin technology tree
- Dwarven technology tree
- Human technology tree (the default tree that covers most inventions, and for which no currency is needed)
Tech trees can be unlocked at level 40 Invention. In order to begin unlocking the items in tech trees, one tree must be chosen to specialise in alongside the human tree. This can be done by speaking to Drorkar in Keldagrim palace furnace, or Oldak in his lab in Dorgesh-Kaan. (The other NPC does not need to be spoken to.) The specialised tree earns 50% more currency from tasks. Switching technology tree costs 100 currency of the discipline currently specialised in.
Currency and tasks[edit | edit source]
To unlock blueprints in tech trees, tasks must be completed to gain currency. These tasks involve handing in requested items or materials. A new task for each field is received at 00:00 and 12:00 game time (UTC), and a maximum of five can be held at once in each field. After five are held, no new tasks are given. Upon completion, tasks will give 10 currency in the respective field. The focused tech tree receives an additional 5 currency per task, for 15 total. Currency can be spent on blueprints at any of the technology noticeboards found in Dorgesh-Kaan, Invention Guild and Keldagrim.
Tasks are accessed from a technology noticeboard and are completed by simply clicking the button which labels them. The required items are handed in without confirmation, regardless of the status of the item - partially used rod-o-matics (with or without perks), junk refiners, and fishing accumulators are all accepted. Tasks cannot be completed if 500 currency is owned in the respective technology.
Once every blueprint is purchased from both tech trees, no more tasks will be available.
Technology[edit | edit source]
Technology is unlocked in four tiers. To unlock a blueprint in a tier, at least one blueprint in the previous tier must be unlocked (though it doesn't have to be researched). It doesn't matter which blueprint is unlocked - all blueprints in the next tier will be available to unlock. A total of 295 currency is needed to fully unlock a technology tree needing completion of 20 tasks for the chosen tree and 30 tasks for the other tree.
|1||40||10||Corporeal components||Pestiferous components|
Monkey mind-control helmet
Dungeoneering lock melter
|Dungeoneering party simulator|
Electrified box trap
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 27 March 2017 (Update):
- Stackable junk refiners can now be used to complete invention tech tree tasks.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The human tech tree was originally planned to be the default tech tree for all players starting the Invention skill. It would have been based on the themes of Guthix's energy. The vast majority of Invention devices were going to be in the human tech tree, and would have been original creations of the player.
- The tech tree system was released with Invention on 25 January 2016, but on 16 May 2016 it was reworked and expanded. With this update, players that had researched blueprints in either tech tree had them locked again, the inspiration spent refunded (up to the cap of their current level), and a gift of some currency for each blueprint re-locked.