|Release date||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|Points of interest|
|No. of banks||2|
|No. of altars||1 (2 if counting the god statue)|
|No. of small obelisks||1|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The village of Taverley lies to the north-west of Falador and is the westernmost province of the kingdom of Asgarnia. The town is often described as the druidic hub of Gielinor as most of its residents are druids, although the area has recently seen an influx of citizens from Burthorpe that had lost their homes to the troll invasion from the north. A small farm known as Astram Farm can be found to the north-west of the town, and a forest known as Ewean's Grove can be found to the north-east.
Much of the town is centred around the theme of nature, houses, bridges and furniture seem to be grown from the very earth itself, the mill is powered by the river running through the centre of the town, and the local pub and other buildings are even constructed with large trees still growing in the centre. In fact, the only major man-made structures appear to be an impressive wall to the east, separating Taverley from the rest of Asgarnia, and the few wells dotted about the town.
Taverley is available to all players and houses the starting point of several quests, including Wolf Whistle, Druidic Ritual and Let Them Eat Pie, and also houses the entrance to the Taverley Dungeon and Taverley Slayer Dungeon
Almost every skill can be trained in either Taverley or Burthorpe, making it an excellent place for new players to develop their skills. With the number of close banks it also allows many money-making opportunities. The POH portal is located right across the street from the Rogues' Den making it an excellent place to level Construction. Players of all levels are sure to find some very good points of interest.
History[edit | edit source]
At the start of Fourth Age, the Druids of Guthix erected a stone circle slightly north of the site now named Taverley. This circle was modeled after one they had built in the Ancient Guthix Temple to help protect the Stone of Jas, and was part of a security system connected to Guthix's resting place, designed to notify them should his rest be disturbed. It is unknown whether the Druids had already settled at Taverley before they erected the stone circle, or if they erected Taverley afterwards. It is also unknown when the tunnels below Taverley were discovered and first inhabited, but at some point a group of chaos druids were banished there for believing Zamorak to be an incarnation of Guthix.
In year 164 of the Fifth Age, conflict between the Kinshra and the White Knights sparked the War of 164. During the war, the goblins of northern Asgarnia invaded Taverley under the instruction of the Kinshra Lord Sulla. Many of the houses of Taverley were burned and some twenty druids were killed.
When neighbouring Burthorpe was attacked by the mountain trolls to the north, Taverley began sending Burthorpe's Imperial Guard supplies to aid in their struggles, although several war profiteers attempted to take advantage of this situation. At times, Taverley has sheltered a number of refugees from Burthorpe and even suffered the occasional troll infiltration, but in recent times the trolls have been fought back somewhat, returning Taverley to a more peaceful state.
In year 169 of the Fifth Age, with the support of the elder druids Sanfew and Kaqemeex, a group of druids including Thaerisk Cemphier started an organisation known as Crux Eqal to combat the threat of the Mahjarrat, primarily the megalomaniac Lucien. Lucien's spy network soon learned of this, and retaliated against their activities by sending a number of assassins to Taverley to murder members of the organisation, and were successful in killing several druids. Crux Eqal subsequently formed an alliance with the Temple Knights and Guardians of Armadyl, and returned to Taverley after Lucien's death at the claws of the Dragonkin.
At the end of the Fifth Age, Taverley's stone circle notified the druids of the discovery of Guthix's chambers. Led by Kaqemeex and Thaerisk, many of the druids then traveled to Guthix's resting place with the Guardians of Guthix in an attempt to prevent the forces of Saradomin, Zamorak, Bandos, Armadyl and Zaros from reaching Guthix and destroying his edicts. In spite of the efforts of the druids and guardians, Sliske managed to sneak past them and was ultimately successful in killing Guthix and returning the gods to Gielinor. After this, most druids returned to Taverley to spread word of what had occurred, although some remained in Guthix's chambers.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
- If the Taverley Lodestone has been activated, a player may teleport there via the Home Teleport spell.
- Taverley may also be reached via the Balloon transport system. This provides ready access to Taverley from Varrock (by the Earth altar), Entrana (west side of the island), Crafting Guild, Castle Wars (to the east & north), or from the Tree Gnome Stronghold. Note to reach Taverley requires 1 set of logs after unlocking the route.
- If a player's Player-owned house is in Taverley they can teleport there with House Teleport. If the Love Story quest has been completed, players can use a Taverley tablet (made from a chipped Teleport to House tablet) to teleport to the Taverley house portal, even if their house is located elsewhere.
Features[edit | edit source]
Banks[edit | edit source]
There are two banks in Taverley.
- The main bank is located on Taverley's south-western shore, directly south of the slope up White Wolf Mountain and north of the boats to Lumbridge and Daemonheim.
- There is also a bank chest in the west end of Rogues' Den under The Pick and Lute pub just east of the Taverley lodestone.
Pikkupstix's Summoning Shop[edit | edit source]
Pikkupstix's Summoning Shop can be found north of entrance gate. It is maintained by Pikkupstix and Magestix, and sells summoning pouches, spirit shards, spirit shard packs, antlers, lizard skulls, and the summoning cape. The shop also gives out 7 spirit shards, 1 summoning pouch, 1 gold charm and 1 wolf bones as free samples, which can be used to create a spirit wolf pouch at a large summoning obelisk. The shop itself is home to an obelisk, which can be used to create any summoning pouch and restore summoning points. Pikkupstix will also help players locate his assistant Pikkenmix to participate in the Familiarisation distraction and diversion
Jatix's Herblore Shop[edit | edit source]
Jatix's Herblore Shop is a herblore shop run by Jatix at his stall just west of the Taverley gate, south of Sanfew's house and west of the pet shop. Jatix sells low-level herblore supplies such as vials, eyes of newt, unicorn horn dust, limpwurt roots, white berries, redberries, beads and bear fur. He gives out a vial of water, eye of newt and grimy guam as free samples, which can be used to create an attack potion.
Pet Shop[edit | edit source]
The pet shop can be found being run by the Pet shop owner south of the entrance gate. He sells five different breeds of dog pets in addition to food for more exotic pets, including nuts, flies and beetle bits. He also sells spirit shards, and will buy any of a player's shards 25 coins each. The shop also contains an incubator, which can be used to incubate certain pet eggs.
The Pick and Lute pub[edit | edit source]
The Pick and Lute is a pub run by Tostig in Taverley. It is host to three distinct shops, first of which is the barkeep who offers several choice beers. Mess Sergeant Ramsey sells a variety of useful cooking supplies in his cooking supplies shop. Finally, the Rogues' Den and Flash Powder Factory can be found beneath it, where Martin Thwait offers his own brand of wares in his Lost and Found. A range and a sink can also be found next to Ramsey for gathering water and training cooking, and some pompous merchants can be found just outside to the south for training thieving.
Astram Farm[edit | edit source]
Astram Farm is a small farm found to the north-west of Taverley, just north of The Pick and Lute. It is owned by Head Farmer Jones, who runs a small farming shop. He sells the usual inventory of a farming shop such as compost, watering cans, plant pots, sacks and baskets, but also sells potato, onion, cabbage, tomato, sweetcorn and strawberry seeds. He gives out three potato seeds and one potato as free samples. A potato patch can be found next to Jones, which he will take care of for free.
A tree patch can be found to the south of Farmer Jones alongside a tool leprechaun, which can be protected over by Alain if he receives sufficient payment. To the north there is a small flax field and three animal pens containing chickens, cows and sheep. These are a short distance from the spinning wheel, loom and tanner in Burthorpe, which make them ideal for low level crafting training.
Ewean's Grove[edit | edit source]
Ewean's Grove is a small grove to the north-east of Taverley and south of Burthorpe. It is home to a large number of standard trees, a few oaks, and a number of rabbits. A stone circle with an Altar of Guthix can be found near the centre of the grove, being tended to by Kaqemeex and a number of other druids. Kaqemeex is involved in the Druidic Ritual quest, and sells the herblore cape. Runestax and Memstix can also be found nearby, and will allow players to replay guthixian memories.
A small lake can be found to the north of Taverley, west of Astram Farm and south of the grove, which contains a number of crayfish fishing spots on the eastern and western shores. A cave entrance leading to the Taverley Slayer Dungeon can be found on the lake's eastern shore, which is home to gelatinous abominations, crawling hands and cave bugs. Nicholas Angle can be found on the north-western shore, and runs Nicholas Angle's Shop, which sells a lot of supplies common to general stores and crafting shops such as thread, buckets, pots, bowls, cake tins, jugs, vials and fishing bait. It also sells more uncommon items such as bolt moulds, holy moulds, unlit torches and rope. 10 thread, 10 fishing bait, and a bucket and empty pot are given out as free samples.
Ayleth Beaststalker's Hunting Supplies Shop can be found in the northern part of Ewean's Grove, just south of Burthorpe. Here, Ayleth Beaststalker sells some basic Hunter supplies, namely butterfly nets, butterfly jars and bird snares. She provides one bird snare as a free sample. She is surrounded by copper longtails, which can be used for hunter training.
Other features[edit | edit source]
- A house portal is found just north of the lodestone - players can move their house here if they have 5000 coins and speak to an estate agent or Alfred Stonemason.
- A watermill for making flour can be found just north-east of the bank. A wheat field is found just over the river to the south of it.
- Bettamax can be found running Bettamax's Shop with Wilbur west of the Taverley Watermill and south-east of the bank. She only sells Juju teleport spiritbags. The spiritbags are used to teleport players to the Herblore Habitat on Karamja.
- After completion of the Wolf Whistle quest, players can enter the well south of the lodestone to fight some weak mountain trolls.
- After completion of the Fishing Contest quest, players may go through the Dwarven Tunnel under White Wolf Mountain next to Austri north of the house portal.
- A polar kebbit hunter spot is found on the slopes of White Wolf Mountain to the west of Astram Farm.
- A dock containing a boat to Lumbridge can be found just south of the bank. Bryll Thoksdottir can be found just west of it, and will take players to Daemonheim.
- The crystal chest is located in Ivy Sophista's house to the west of the summoning shop. Players can open it if they have a Crystal key, which is made by joining a Loop half of a key and a Tooth half of a key. Opening the chest will always yield an uncut Dragonstone, and usually some other items.
- If players obtain some Goutweed from the Troll Stronghold or by growing it from a Gout tuber, they can exchange it for other high level herbs with Sanfew to the west of the pet shop.
- Copernicus Glyph and a god statue are found north of the summoning shop.
- The entrance to the Taverley Dungeon lies south of Taverley to the west of the wheat field and features a number of different monsters. Velrak the explorer will stand here and hand out dusty keys after he is freed from his imprisonment.
- The Lady of the Lake resides in the middle of Lake Crystalmere, and hands out Excalibur and Enhanced Excalibur if their requirements are met. The southern shore of the lake is home to Sylas, wandering wyrmwood, and a magic beanstalk patch.
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Wolf Whistle can be started by speaking to Pikkupstix, who is in the first house to the north after passing through the entrance gate.
- Witch's House may be started by talking to the boy next to the witch's house, south of Taverley.
- Fishing Contest may be started by speaking to Austri, who is guarding the entrance to the dwarven tunnels north of the house portal.
- Druidic Ritual may be started by speaking to Kaqemeex, who is at the druids' circle in Ewean's Grove north of Taverley (players can distinguish him more easily from his druid colleagues by his elaborate Herblore skillcape).
- Eadgar's Ruse can be started by speaking to Sanfew, who is on the ground floor of his house. Later, players steal some soap from Tegid on Lake Crystalmere's northern shore.
- The master level quest Grim Tales can be started by speaking to Sylas, found south-east of the entrance to Taverley Dungeon.
- Let Them Eat Pie can be started by talking to Nails Newton walking outside of The Pick and Lute located in south west Taverley.
- One Small Favour has the player ask Sanfew for a favour during part of the quest.
- In Mourning's End Part II, players again steal some soap from Tegid in order to clean the Bloody mourner top.
- In While Guthix Sleeps, players speak to Ivy Sophista and Thaerisk Cemphier here to learn about the threat of Lucien, but are attacked by two assassins.
Nearby locations[edit | edit source]
- To the north lies Burthorpe and Death Plateau.
- To the south-east lies Falador - players can get there either by climbing over the crumbling wall (5 Agility required) or via the gate to the north-east of Taverley.
- To the west lies White Wolf Mountain, which can be dangerous for new players to cross, and beyond lies Catherby - players who have completed the Fishing Contest quest can use the tunnel to the north-west of Taverley to go under rather than over White Wolf Mountain.
Music unlocked[edit | edit source]
- Taverley Adventure
- Taverley Dreams
- Taverley Lament
- Taverley Enchantment
- Taverley Ambience
- Taverley Folk
- Taverley Frolics
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 22 January 2018 (Update):
- A height mapping issue was fixed concerning the water and ground geometry south of Taverley bank.
- ninja 26 May 2015 (Update):
- Stepping stones have been added south of Taverley's bank as a shortcut to the Taverley dungeon.
- patch 20 March 2012 (Update):
- Some white blotches south west of the Taverley shoreline has been fixed.
- patch 24 November 2010 (Update):
- The upper level of the witch's house in Taverley is no longer floating.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the book Betrayal at Falador Taverley is misspelled as "Taverly".
- Also in Betrayal at Falador, Taverley is said to be a two days ride from Falador.
- As of 31 January 2012, both Taverley and Burthorpe have been graphically overhauled.
- Previously, there was a glitch in which a gate opposite the pet shop would cause the players to immediately stop in their tracks. Clicking on the gate to continue walking would not shut the gate and would give the player a message saying "Nothing interesting happens." This has since been fixed and the gate is now permanently open.
- In the news post before Taverley was released, it's first written as "Traverley". It's not known if it is a misspelling or not.
- Ewean's Grove is named after the Armies of Gielinor character Ewean.