The image[edit source]
It needs updating to show the new layout of the options screen, I cant transfer images into PNG format and my screenshots come out too small, so I can't do it. Marcus Gord 14:45, 25 November 2006 (UTC)
- What new layout would this be? (By the way, sometimes uploading a new image over an old one on a page you've viewed before doesn't show up on your computer - do a hard refresh (ctrl + Refresh button) to make sure that's not happened to you.) JalYt-Xil-Vimescarrot 14:48, 25 November 2006 (UTC)
- Sorry, it looked a little like the old layout for a minute there, I guess thats what headbanging for around 5 hours last night did to me. Once again, sorry. Marcus Gord 14:53, 25 November 2006 (UTC)
Name of this article[edit source]
I wonder whether this article should be called "Options" instead of "Options screen". When I hover my pointer over the button in the game, the tooltip (displayed top-left) says "Options".
For now I will make "Options" redirect to this article, but I think a page move might be warranted. What do other users think? Many thanks. :-) Leevclarke 22:24, 1 August 2007 (UTC)
- I like it! Slap And Tickle 22:25, 1 August 2007 (UTC)
- That's good enough for me. :-) Moved article, we'll see if anyone disagrees strongly enough to move it back. Leevclarke 20:05, 2 August 2007 (UTC)
New interface[edit source]
Obsolete tag.[edit source]
I have marked this article as obsolete because of the "Sliders" and "Buttons" sections. These need to be updated according to the new interface after the July '08 Graphics update. I have some new images of the sound options and graphics options interfaces, it would be greatly appreciated if somebody could add these to the article.
File:Audio Options screen.png|150px File:Graphic Options.png|250px
- Done! 09:45, 12 July 2008 (UTC)
is it just me...[edit source]
I've noticed i get the most speed performance with anti-aliasing off, which is a great boost for still graphic image captures, but makes animated graphics look sort of bleh... ~
kytti khat 19:51, 15 October 2008 (UTC)
CPU Usage[edit source]
The answers i got in clan chats are different from one another, so i will ask it here too. Does less CPU Usage give more speed? I really wanna know. I tested it, and my answer would be yes, but i'm not sure about it. Please help.-- Alex1496 13:32, January 9, 2010 (UTC)
- The more of your CPU you let RS use, the slower it is, because they can do it two ways, let you handle the processing, or their servers handle it, so if you do it, it is generally slower if you dont have a badass computer, but it would be more courteous to use your own, so that is my offical recommendation
20:31, January 10, 2010 (UTC)
The CPU usage setting has nothing to do with Jagex's servers. Jagex wouldn't have their servers do extra processing for your computer because it would take more time for your computer to send the data to Jagex and for their servers to send the results back than it takes to just do the processing on your computer.
If setting CPU usage to maximum slows the game, then your computer's probably low on RAM and its CPU probably has only a single core. I'm guessing that what's happening is your computer's having to use the hard drive for virtual memory which is really slow and uses a lot of CPU power. When this happens and RS is set to use maximum CPU, there's not enough CPU power left for your operating system to page things in and out of virtual memory, so it can't retrieve the paged out bits of RS's memory quickly enough, so RS stalls out. If you had a duel core or better CPU, then one core could be used 100% for RS while the OS uses the other for handling virtual memory and other stuff. More RAM would also help by reducing the need for virtual memory, so your computer could keep all of RS loaded in RAM, which is way faster.
A somewhat flawed analogy is that it's like trying to do a complicated math problem. You can either try to do use your entire mind for the problem (maximum CPU, no processing power left for handling virtual memory) or spend some of your mind's power writing out a few of the steps on paper (not maximum CPU, virtual memory being only moderately slow). MarkGyver (talk) 03:40, February 25, 2012 (UTC)
Gallery pictures overlap[edit source]
Remove roofs[edit source]
Was the "All" option really always present? There was some going forth and back at Hidden updates, but I can't remember having seen it before (not that this is proof). At least I've never used it, but it begs the question, what is the difference between "Always" removing roofs, and removing "All" roofs? IP22.214.171.124 (talk) 05:14, February 11, 2015 (UTC)
- While, again, this doesn't actually constitute proof, neither the Jagex Wiki nor Tip.it list the "All" option either. This may not have been a hidden update part of the last game update, but I am thinking this may be a (semi-)recent change after all. IP126.96.36.199 (talk) 06:32, February 11, 2015 (UTC)
I've never noticed the "All" option at all until recently, and from what I can tell the option removes the roofs from all buildings (not just the one you're looking through or standing in). 12:08, February 11, 2015 (UTC)