Article expansion ideas[edit source]
See link: http://www.linkedin.com/in/markgerhard
22:30, 6 February 2009 (UTC)
Mod MMG Swears on forums??[edit source]
In his latest Q&A thread, he wrote: "Some information about me that you probably didn't know, -How about I drive a tanks for shitz and giggles :)" You can see it here: http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/c=nZYnk0-KDPo/forums.ws?13,14,745,60279545,goto,2
weird, huh? EmperorITNE 01:12, January 29, 2010 (UTC)
Oh, by the way, I have nothing against swearing in moderation (like he has done), but I find it just slightly hypocritical that players are being censored from using swear words while the CEO of Jagex can type it freely on the forums EmperorITNE 01:15, January 29, 2010 (UTC)
Now this is strange[edit source]
"He is "slightly over 21 years old", as he states in his article to the players."
"He has held many executive positions and he has over 14 years of experience working in technology sector."
My hunch is that one of these statements are wrong. Either that, or this new CEO is a wonder child. Wejer 21:16, 9 February 2009 (UTC)
- I am guessing that he is being facetious here and is in fact significantly older than 21. --Hatchenator 21:20, 9 February 2009 (UTC)
- That's funny, Jagex employees lying about their age :D Wejer 21:21, 9 February 2009 (UTC)
- I’m an active RuneScape player and I’m ever so slightly over 21 :) - Keep in mind the ":)" at the end and "ever so slightly", he was making a joke.-- 21:24, 9 February 2009 (UTC)
- Ah, that explains it. Wejer 21:25, 9 February 2009 (UTC)
Account name?[edit source]
It has info about his account (Cb, total lvl, QP's) But what is his Username?
- He's decided to keep that secret.-- 23:13, 17 February 2009 (UTC)
- Do keep in mind that his comment was made nearly a year ago. 01:21, January 29, 2010 (UTC)
- And that comment is 4 months old. UZNLOMRrwojy 01:29, January 29, 2010 (UTC)
- Oh, woops, I saw that someone had posted here and assumed it was on the bottom. 01:25, January 29, 2010 (UTC)
- And that comment is 4 months old. UZNLOMRrwojy 01:29, January 29, 2010 (UTC)
Autoconfirmed Protection[edit source]
Why does he refer to his spouse as his "girlfriend" on the SD forums if they are married? Atheist723 10:18, February 2, 2011 (UTC)
Gerhard's criticism of his immediate predecessor as Jagex CEO, Geoff Iddison[edit source]
This is hilarious, Gerhard's criticism of the person (Geoff Iddison) who was Jagex CEO before Gerhard:
However, in an interview published in May 2009, his successor Mark Gerhard commented on what he perceived as the problem with Iddison's approach, which he thought was being too concerned with making money. This was both through constantly encouraging free players to pay the membership fee, and by employing the most lucrative forms of advertising (namely video advertisements). He described this as "simply wrong, not in the spirit of the free game, absolutely wrong".
|“||The problem was, a year or so ago, there was -- let me say confusion, as a subtle word -- as to what part of the business was important. I expect the CEO’s focus was just sort of on the profit and loss column, and all of the attention was sort of on "members members members and members conversions" and getting free players to convert to Members by putting members hooks in the free game. Unfortunately that had a really negative effect on the community, as you've taken what was an epic entirely free game and turned it into a sort of demo for the members game which was never the idea.
So unfortunately we had a year where we did that. One of my first orders of business in February was ripping that part out. There are various things we did to “monetize” the free players. Such as serving long-standing free players video ads. Something like 10 or 15 seconds. Which whilst profitable was simply wrong, not in the spirit of the free game, absolutely wrong.
|— Mark Gerhard, |
Gerhard had said when he took over as CEO in February that video ads "generate significantly more revenue than other adverts", but that they were "annoying to the point it was putting [free players] off playing", which is why he scrapped them immediately.
Gerhard has the audacity to criticize Iddison for those things?
(1) I played Runescape in 2009 and I remember watching the 15-20 second ads for "Arcanists". Gerhard said, "One of my first orders of business in February was ripping that part out. There are various things we did to “monetize” the free players. Such as serving long-standing free players video ads. Something like 10 or 15 seconds. Which whilst profitable was simply wrong, not in the spirit of the free game, absolutely wrong."? Then why did Gerhard bring back the 30-second ads back for F2P players in 2012?
(2) It's well known that all Runescape updates are P2P only, with F2P only offfered small and very infrequent game updates, graphics and interface updates, and Holiday Events.
In the Constant Tedder era (beginning of Jagex - 2007) and Geoff Iddison era (2007 - January 31, 2009), the Wintumber Tree (Xmas 2006) was the only holiday item unavailable to Free-to-play.
Since the Gerhard era, it seems that Jagex is determined to exclude free-to-play from even the Holiday items(Icicle Crown, Easter 2011), (Hourglass wieldable in shield-hand slot, Hallowe'en 2011), (Mackers, Thanksgiving 2011), (Sparkles, Xmas 2011). And even though Cryptic Clue Fests are not a Holiday event, Jagex is even making the formerly F2P+P2P Cryptic Clue Fests (Corgi, Cryptic Clue Fest IV (2012). That makes five (and counting) members-only event items in the Gerhard-CEO-era, versus one members-only event item in the pre-Gerhard-CEO-era,
Don't these Gerhard-CEO-era Members-only holiday items sound at least a little like the "getting free players to convert to Members by putting members hooks in the free game" that Gerhard accuses Iddison of doing?
(3) Gerhard said THIS about Geoff Iddison?! -
"I expect the CEO’s focus was just sort of on the profit and loss column, and all of the attention was sort of on "members members members and members conversions" and getting free players to convert to Members by putting members hooks in the free game. Unfortunately that had a really negative effect on the community"
But what has Mark Gerhard done? Non-members get 1 free daily spin on the Squeal of Fortune, but Members get 2 spins on the Squeal of Fortune so you should convert to members and get 1 daily extra spin! Anything uncommon/rare/super-rare gives F2P the message "Subscribe now to get the item you won on the Squeal of Fortune!" "If you come back during the diamond jubilee as a member, you'll also earn the diamond crown. Become members today!" And so many other instances of the F2P game encourgaing purchasing the P2P game. It seems that absolutely everything in Runescape nowadays is a promotion to convert from F2P to members.
(4) Jagex's mantra (which they announced as soon as Runescape became P2P) has been to mainly only provide new game content for Members. However, nobody in members was demanding that Highscores table be Members-only. Everyone just expected that new game content would be Members only. However, it seemed that Jagex / Mark Gerhard were just determined to give a kick in the teeth to F2P that had never been done before, removing all F2P players from the Highscores table (on 22 November 2011).
(5) The Veteran Cape was clearly announced as for players. With extra special capes (capes of distinction, Max Cape, Uber (Completionist) Cape that would be available for Members. Jagex then got players to vote on which Veteran Cape design they wanted. From start to right-before-their-entry-into-Runescape, Jagex said that Veteran's Cape would be for ALL players, even getting F2P to vote on the Veteran's Cape design they wanted. Only upon introduction into Runescape, all of a sudden, the Veteran's Cape would be members-only. Then Jagex gave out the poorest excuses in the book, that they intended for Veteran's Cape to be members-only, that they felt "giving F2P a vote on a cape they would not be able to get would make them feel wonderfully included in the Veteran's Cape. The Veteran's Cape, a cape that costs 50,000 gp with +5 defence bonuses, make it a worthless to wear in P2P - whereas a cape with +5 defence bonuses would not be a worthless blight in F2P, since +5 defence bonuses would exceed cape/team cape +1 defence bonuses that exist in F2P.
(6) Introduction of the Mercenary Camp in Falador (6 September 2011), Songs from the Depths in Rimmington (22 May 2012), and Grotworm lair in Rimmington (22 May 2012). There is no reason the Mercenary Camp should be in Falador instead of Taverley or Burthorpe. Same for Songs from the Depths and Grotworm lair, they could easily be in some P2P area. It's just jagex putting more P2P content in areas (Falador and Rimmington) that don't need more P2P content.
(7) This isn't the exact place for it, but I want to and will comment on how during Gerhard's CEO era, the F2P Runescape game has become exponentially worse. The constant spamming in Lumbridge Castle and Lumbridge grounds of people advertising sites-to-purchase-Runescape-gold, the constant spamming in the Grand Exchange with players advertising these same sites-to-purchase-Runescape-gold, the massively increased and endless botting everywhere at yew/willow trees, at all good fishing spots, and at all ore spots.
- In all my time of playing Runescape during the Iddison era, I have never seen more than one person other than myself mining at the rocks in Rimmington mine (it's just not a good place to mine). Imagine my horror in the free-trade&old-wilderness-returned-era-of-Mark-Gerhard, when I ran past Rimmington mine and saw over 20 people mining. (It should be mentioned, all of those "people" mining in Rimmington mine were actually bots.)
Going back to points (1) to (6), I cannot believe that Mark Gerhard made those comments on former Jagex CEO Geoff Iddison, when Gerhard himself has gone on to be many times more profligate of the charges that he branded upon Geoff Iddison.
~~penguin 220.127.116.11 02:34, June 11, 2012 (UTC)
MMG quitted so update the page already[edit source]
MMG announced his resignation like 3 months ago and will be leaving before the year ends so why isn't this page updated ... ? —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) on 15:35, December 26, 2014 (UTC).
New Jagex CEO has been named. Please see http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-04-02-rod-cousens-leaves-codemasters-to-become-new-jagex-ceo 22.214.171.124 04:44, April 4, 2015 (UTC)