Talk:List of races
- The KB uses it both ways. The page on races uses the small letter v with letter i - vampire. The capital letter V with letter y - Vampyres when referring to "Lowerniel Vergidiyad Drakan and his Vampyric overlordship" and to specific characters Vampyres and Vampyre Juvinates and Juveniles. Another page has small letter v with letter y when used as an adjective "vampyre overlord, Drakan". Then, there is also Vyrewatch. Chrislee33 23:48, 17 September 2006 (UTC)
- There is some controversy over whether they are the same creature or not. Ingame, it isn't any clearer. I believe that they are one and the same. Tytn H is the chief developer of the Myreque quests according to the KB credits. Tytn uses the spelling with the y in it. Until this gets cleared up, I support using Tytn's spelling. Dtm142 22:45, 21 September 2006 (UTC)
- The RS poll on races has the spelling with the 'y' Vampyres, so it has been changed with the 'y' Chrislee33 06:59, 24 September 2006 (UTC)
- Vampires are the ones who are unintelligent and lurk in the wild while vampyres are intelligent ones. --Flajuram 23:28, 3 December 2008 (UTC)
- What about the talking cows and sheep in Zanaris? And the evil chicken random event? But seriously I don't care.--Atlantima 19:25, 16 April 2007 (UTC)
Other intelligent animals[edit source]
Summoned monsters, they can talk, The test of summoning, Tower of Life.tobylaneTalk 18:06, 12 October 2008 (UTC)
Does anyone else feel like this page needs a massive overhaul? At the moment it's honestly not much more than a disambiguation page; and an unorganized, incomplete, and somewhat innacurate one at that. This article should, in my opinion, include an introduction to each race (and there are a LOT of them), along with an image and some general info. A starting point, basically, but still a lot more thorough than it is now. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Morian Smith 22:47, 3 March 2009 (UTC)
Alright, I'm going ahead with the preperations for the changes. I'm starting by listing off as many races as I can. So far I've got:
- Vampyres (and Vampires)
- Trolls (and Sea Trolls, Ice Trolls)
- Goblins (and Dorgeshuun Cave Goblins)
- Dragons (it has been hinted that they were once more intelligent)
- Elder Dragons (could be the Dragonkin, but not sure yet)
- Fairy Dragons (again, not sure how these relate to elder dragons and dragonkin)
- Monkeys (the intelligent ones)
- Penguins (like monkeys, only the intelligent ones)
- Star sprites
- Ice Sprites
- Sea Slugs
- Wood Dryads
- Talking Beasts (this is hard to tackle; there are a lot of different animals with varying levels of intelligence)
- [[The Myriad]]
- Gods (this is debatable, just brainstorming right now)
- Spirits (Such as the ones on the Spirit Plane, also ones like tree spirits and rock golems that manifest themselves in nature)
- Cosmic Beings
- Imps and Implings (could be demons, but seem like pretty different species)
Does anyone have any other races I've missed? Or any thoughts? Morian Smith 00:20, 15 March 2009 (UTC)
- Perhaps the Titans as well?-- 00:43, 15 March 2009 (UTC)
- I didn't think of titans. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not they are actually a race in themself, or only a form for the summoning spirits to take on. Either way, they're definately something to consider. Another couple I thought of: Elves (don't know how I missed that one), minotaurs (like the ones in the Stronghold of Security, but the summoning familiars are also worth looking at), and sphinxes. Also worth thinking about are clay golems. Morian Smith 14:57, 15 March 2009 (UTC)
It's clear to me that we obviously need to add cats, as they are not true animals but were turned into cats by that Menaphite guy. I think that all sentient creatures should probably be added, including Zanaris cows and such.
I just remembered: We need to add polar bears. They are just as sentient as penguins.
We also need to add daganoths.
Dagganoth are on there already --08:42, November 12, 2009 (UTC)
- Wouldn't sapient fit this situation better than intelligent or semi intelligent?--Ashendant 11:57, May 13, 2010 (UTC)
- Anyway here's my take on the overhaul
Includes all sapient beings, excludes talking version of animals
Includes all animals and it's talking versions
Includes nature spirits, elementals and such
Includes demons, imps and evil races
Includes undead races
- I still have more to add wait a few hours--Ashendant 12:16, May 13, 2010 (UTC)
I'd like to bring this issue to the attention of a slightly wider audience than I do usually because it concerns a fairly large wiki-wide rework with several page moves/renames.
A pet project of mine for a while has been the distinction between individual NPCs or Monsters and their race as a whole. In my view there should be a individual, discrete page for the race as a whole. This page should include racial information such as history, notable personalities, territory etc.
This information should be kept separate from pages concerning an individual NPC or monster. In other words, if a page has an "Infobox non-player character" or "Infobox Monster" it should focus entirely upon that NPC or Monster. Any information concerning its race as a whole should be on a separate page.
I don't foresee too much opposition to this proposal, as many of the Races pages are already structured this way (I'm thinking Humans, Elves, Faries et al.). It will, however, require moving and merging a few pages around. Several race pages such as Giant (which is nothing more than a disambig page) will also need a fairly drastic rewrite and expansion . In essence the concept is simply an extension of RS:G.
I'm not a particularly vigorous editor, so I imagine that I'll whittle away at this project over time - but I hope to have a reasonably exhaustive information page for each Race by the time I'm done. I'll also endeavour to follow through with Morian Smith's proposal (above) for this page in particular. If you foresee any problems or have any other comments to make please feel free to do so.
- I agree good sir. Recently I split the cat article into the cat and cat (race) articles. My only qualm is what about things like Squirrel (NPC)? There's almost no information about squirrels as a whole, the only location where they could be considered a race was the easter events, and then we only saw them working, and a few personality traits (they're hyper, who knew?!). Would the squirrel (race) article still be created even though there's next to no information about them as a race? 19:48, September 13, 2010 (UTC)
Oppose - I don't think it is useful to make a page for every single race in RuneScape. Like Psycho Robot above, squirrels are so small they shouldn't have a special page for the race. This just doesn't give any more information. JOEYTJE50TALK pull my finger 13:20, November 15, 2010 (UTC)
Removed vampires from the Semi-humanoids as the link redirected to Vampyres, which is already under Intelligent Humanoids.