When this is expanded, it should be mentioned that the bow's speed was increased on the last day of July, the 31st. (the sameday as the crossbows update) —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk).
- Oh boy, this page really has a lot of information! Dreadnoughttalk 01:06, 16 December 2006 (UTC)
- Absolutely. This page is excellent for a single item. HYEN-ASTE 22:25, 14 December 2006 (UTC)
Is it possible to own the shield as well as the bow at the same time?--Andy mci0 16:47, 7 May 2007 (UTC)
I have an issue with the statement "It is widely considered the best bow in the game," due to many reasons. First of all, it is not used in pking particularly much, if only due to its lack of a special attack. It really doesn't matter how high the range bonus is if you cannot hit quickly enough or high enough. In addition, in terms of training it is outclassed by a rune crossbow with mithril bolts, as both have a very similar average damage per second, with the rune crossbow being considerably cheaper (72 gp per shot with crystal bow as opposed to ~30-40 gp per shot with mithril bolts). It's also useless for staking, due to the fact that a two handed bow is vastly inferior to a one handed weapon and shield. Though the crystal bow has some uses (lack of arrows, useful in castlewars), I doubt that it is considered the best bow in the game by a large number of people.
- Although your points are good you forgot one very important thing. the crystal bow is in bow class ex. yew bow, maple bow. while rune crossbow is in crossbow class ex. adamant crossbow, mithril crossbow. thats like saying darts are better than throwing knives for some reason. so therefore it is still considered the best bow in the game by a large amount of people. im kind of surprised you oversaw that while doing all that stat research. but whether crystal bow is better than rune cross bow is still open to discussion. 0blivi0n 06:31, 14 October 2007 (UTC)
- I agree
Also, the bow was considered good before all the crossbow updates, but it wasn't widely known (or because of skull not keeping any items) that it would keep over other things, so it wasn't used for dangerous things. tobylaneTalk 14:31, 27 June 2008 (UTC)
Before or after the quest?[edit source]
At the top in the first paragraph it says you can wield it if you buy from GE without doing quest. But down at the bottom it says you need to do the quest under trivia. Which one is correct? I L U V R S 184.108.40.206 03:41, 8 May 2009 (UTC)
- The Grand Exchange says that you must have completed the quest to use.--Long Live Armadyl 14:25, 25 May 2009 (UTC)
I've done some rewording in the first few paragraphs, but I'm not sure what it was originally marked for. Orbie 23:24, 9 October 2008 (UTC)
Ranged Strength Bonus[edit source]
From the update on March 25, I was wondering what the actual ranged strength bonus of the crystal bow was, people have compared it to rune arrows, I'm sure someone will update this soon enough.--Long Live Armadyl 19:58, 25 March 2009 (UTC) hi guys
Huge Profit?[edit source]
Wouldn't it be possible to keep recharging crystal seeds into bows until it takes only 180k to recharge them, buy seeds at 156k each, charge them into bows for 180k, and then sell them for 900k? This seems like a great way for fast profits because eventually you would get your full money back. If it works it might be a good addition to the article. What if you bought seed off of G E?
No because when you recharge a seed it becomes a full crystal bow/shield not a new one. Jagex did this to avoid people doing that very thing.
^ No sir, you are both wrong. The price of the recharge stays the same by the character NOT the specific seed, but it still impossible to make profits off of the recharge process, because a New crystal bow is different from a crystal bow 10/10. When you charge a bow it is a crystal Bow (10/10) yet still untradeable. When you buy one from the npc or off the ge it is a NEW crystal bow, which is tradeable.
Okay, that makes sense. I didn't think that Jagex would allow players to make huge profits like that so easily.
I agree, you cannot do it as the recharged bow is a different item to the new bow. I tried this and lost 2 million - all my money at that time! Goodison Goomba 17:06, 16 April 2009 (UTC)--
It doesn't say what type of arrows it can fire. Kingofdanerds 16:53, 16 April 2009 (UTC)
- Technically, it can't use any kind of arrows, as it generates its own. WWTDD? 16:54, 16 April 2009 (UTC)
- It doesn't say that anywhere in the article -Metaslugx
Removing charge[edit source]
No, but as of recently, you can recharge it without it needing to be empty.00:27, July 11, 2011 (UTC)
I had a crystal bow, and not 70 range, never used it, and it started decaying by itself --- thomas
Grand Exchange Market Price[edit source]
I looked at the price for the crystal seed and here's what is says:
New crystal bow: 922,400 coins update, Crystal seed: 225,000 coins update coins
New crystal bow: 900k coins, then it reduces 180k in cost, every time you recharge it. Stays at 180k to recharge the minimum. + New crystal bow: 922,400 coins update, - Crystal seed current GE price: 60k coins220.127.116.11 10:52, March 15, 2012 (UTC)My__Ancients
Bounty Worlds +1[edit source]
Surely this bow would make great use on a Bounty +1 World as it needs no ammo? And yet, pures tend to prefer Magic Shortbows... --EndOfTheWorld 14:07, April 3, 2010 (UTC)
Even back before crossbows came around, pures generally considered magic shortbows to be superior due to the higher speed and thus higher damage per second. The accuracy is rather useless because you'll be shooting other pures with next to no defense anyways.
Now I rarely see even magic shortbows used much at all anymore. -Gotank
Ranged Strength[edit source]
I'm pretty sure that at 1/10 hits higher than 20%; While at black dragons with 85 ranged, not boosts, I was able to hit a 205. This was with full slayer helm, but my calculations put my max hit with the range damage bonus at 195. Perhaps some testing is in order?
The original sentence says: The number of shots fired by crystal bows is tracked per player rather than per bow, making it possible to prevent a fully charged bow from degrading by using another crystal bow for every 250th shot.
This does not make sense, since shots are tracker per player, even if you use another crystal bow, the shots tracked are still the same. So you can not prevent it from degrading, I changed it to IMpossible. Either reword that or explain it, it is unclear. Piscesvisionary 23:47, June 8, 2011 (UTC)
- It means that after a player fires 250 shots, whichever bow they are wielding will degrade, similar to how an amulet of binding or ring of forging works. I haven't tested if it works, but if it works, I am not sure if this is how it is intended to work and it may be bug abuse. Should we remove it until it is confirmed not to be a bug? 00:29, July 11, 2011 (UTC)
Maximum hit[edit source]
Except in this article, I've never seen a statement that the crystal bow's maximum hit is 250% of your Ranged level. This would render its Ranged strength bonuses wholly redundant, which I find odd. I'm going to remove the maximum hit = 250% of Ranged level statement until someone else produces some evidence for it.
- Maybe whatever it's ranged strength is at 100% charge results in a max hit of 2.5 times ranged level. But even if so its coincedence and not worth mentioning since the bow reduces in strength at lower charges. 21:47, August 19, 2011 (UTC)
- Did some calculations, max hit for the bow is about this:
- Or at 100% charge:
- So not sure where the 250% of level came from. 22:23, August 19, 2011 (UTC)
Barbarian Assault[edit source]
This bow along with the Zaryte bow cannot be used in Barbarian Assault. Period.
I've edited the information on this item's page along with the Zaryte bow's page and Barbarian Assault/Strategies to fit this information.
- This is incorrect Adeadhead 19:24, April 28, 2012 (UTC)
- I never tried it but maybe the bow does work as long as you also equip the right ammo. I will try it next Thursday, but anyone else can try it before then. 21:32, April 29, 2012 (UTC)
- Consider it confirmed, it works. :) Adeadhead 12:32, April 30, 2012 (UTC)
Recharge cost inconsistancy[edit source]
Could anyone verify if recharging a partilally charged Crystal Bow will reduce the cost of recharging in the future, or will recharging it only when it reverts to a seed the only way to reduce the future cost. Same for the Crystal Shield, since the 2 are inconsistant in this area. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) on 10:36, June 5, 2013.
- I am already at the lowest cost possible but that is a very interesting question. If I see anyone in-game who might not be at the lowest cost yet, I'll ask them. 04:44, June 12, 2013 (UTC)
- I don't think recharging a partially degraded bow counts towards reducing the cost for future re-enchantments. I just recharged my 8/10 bow for 180k twice. And I've never let it fully degrade into a seed before, even after first getting the 2/10 bow from Roving Elves. So my cost per charge is still 90k or 900k to fully re-enchant the seed.
- The pages for Ilfeen and the crystal shield should be updated to reflect this. 22.214.171.124 12:22, July 26, 2013 (UTC)
Outdated infomation[edit source]
WIth regards to the "Analysis and strategy" section, several segments are outdated and may confuse players.
For example, "Arrows have a 20% chance of breaking so each arrow lasts approximately 5 shots. Therefore, when purchasing 500 rune arrows for 151 coins each, the player is effectively buying approximately 2,500 shots' worth of rune arrows for 75,500 coins, around half the cost of the cheapest crystal bow recharge" is pretty much redundant since the eoc, as using abilities do not drain the bow.
I cant get ilfeen or any elf i can find to rechage my crystal bow after roving elves, using it on ilfeen states that i need to progress more in mourning end. does anyone know if its mournings end part 1 or 2? 126.96.36.199 16:44, June 17, 2016 (UTC)