Tainted shard is an item that appeared in every player's inventory or at Diango after logging in after 00:00 UTC on 28 September 2018. It came uncharged, and could hold up to 4,000 charges. Players can equip the shard in the pocket slot. During the event it provided a 2% experience boost while it was equipped or in the inventory. It no longer provides the +2% XP boost now that the event is over. It can still be interacted to view the message unlocked during the event, and to check the current charges although it can no longer be recharged.
The shard was used in the 2018 Hallowe'en event 'Til Death Do Us Part. After the event was released, the shard gained the ability to teleport the player to the event or open the event interface by right-clicking the shard. The shard could be used at the event to either halve the time taken to stabilise the rift, or to double the XP earned when stabilising the rift. Using either option caused the shard to lose one charge per action, and the bonus could be toggled by right-clicking the shard when worn, or by interacting with it in the backpack. Interacting with the monsters in the event did not use charges in the tainted shard. With the bonus set to halving stabilisation time, exactly 250 charges were consumed per rift stabilisation. With the bonus set to doubling experience gained, exactly 500 charges were consumed.
The shard could be charged by the player gaining experience while having it equipped or having it in their inventory. Charges were obtained 25 at a time at 5-minute intervals. The timer reset on logout. The shard retained the 2% experience boost upon acquiring the maximum 4,000 charges.
Extra dialogue was unlocked every 1,000 charges.
- Prior to the release of the event, the shard only gained 10 charge at a time instead of the 25 gained during the event.
- The tainted shard can be taken into Daemonheim and onto Entrana.
- It has a very similar shape and colour to the chipped and inert black stone crystals.
- Speaking to the Doomsayer while the shard is in your inventory prompts new dialogue.
- The dialogue seems to make a reference to Xau-Tak. The darkness described is similar to the one mentioned in Nomad's Elegy: "Do you really think you can save them, [Player]? You can't. There is a grinding darkness against which your soul shall be lathed. And this is Xau-Tak."
- Some skilling activities, such as firing urns, did not charge the shard. It is unknown whether this was intended or a glitch.
- Gaining experience from combat dummies will not grant charges.
- The shard would not charge while in the Warriors' Guild or Flash Powder Factory.
- It's possible to "lose" extra dialogue by losing charge below a multiple of 1,000.