A System update is when Jagex launch one or more of their updates to the main game engine of RuneScape. Updates are typically content-related; e.g. a new quest, a tweak/improvement to a recently released piece of content, or a rework of an existing section of game code.
Players are given a warning in the form of a 30 or 60 minute countdown. This countdown was previously three or ten minutes. When this reaches zero, all players logged in are automatically logged out, and the login server for that particular world is offline until the update is uploaded. The time needed for the update to upload varies with each reboot, although they usually take between 3 and 30 minutes. Extremely large updates, such as the Bot Nuke have been known to take over an hour to upload to the servers.
Players will have to reload the game client in order to log back in once the update takes effect. In addition to that, all NPCs (including Distractions and Diversions such as Shooting Stars, Evil Tree, Penguin Hide and Seek, etc.) and game objects (mining rocks, trees, etc.) will respawn when the servers are rebooted.
Some system updates involve just the system code being updated, without any content-related changes.
Update history[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- During the countdown to the 2008 Hallowe'en event update if you right clicked the timer it would come up as the Report abuse option, which acted as the report abuse system. This bug has now been fixed.
- After the System update following the release of improved rewards from Barbarian Assault, there were fishing spots in Shilo Village appearing in places where they had never appeared before. One such spot was directly north of the furnace. This happened in the Fishing guild too, but not after the same update.
- If the player is in the Lobby when the System update message is in effect in-game, the message will appear in the lobby below the "Click here to play" button.
- The system would previously warn the players 60 minutes, 40 minutes, 30 minutes, 20 minutes, then 10 minutes before the system update began.
- After the Christmas Event update on 20 December 2011, the game was updated 4 times in a row to fix several bugs. At the fourth update, the countdown timer started at 1:47 and not the usual 9:59. Jagex apologised for this by adding '(sorry)' at the end of the system update timer.