|Swept Away (#146)|
|Release date||28 October 2008 (Update)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Official description[edit | edit source]
Maggie the travelling witch is cooking up something spectacular in her cauldron, but she needs a little help finishing it off. If you can help her out – and solve a puzzle or two along the way – she just might share some of the final product with you.
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Maggie the witch, north of Draynor Village, west of the Draynor lodestone.|
|Member requirement||Free to play|
|Official length||Short to Medium|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat||
The travelling coven[edit | edit source]
To make the stew, she needs you to get her broomstick enchanted by her three witch friends: Aggie in Draynor Village, Betty in Port Sarim and Hetty in Rimmington; she would do it herself, but her sick ox, Babe, cannot be left alone.
The order of the friends you visit does not matter, but with each witch there is a puzzle.
Aggie in Draynor Village[edit | edit source]
Head south to Draynor Village and speak to Aggie, in the western-most house, about enchanting the broom. She tells you that the enchantment needs to be done in a special place, infused with 'magical pizazz'.
Agree to teleport, and you'll be taken to a small clearing, with a sand pattern created at the heart of it. Aggie informs you that a specific sand symbol contains hidden power which could be harnessed into the broomstick.
The arrangement must be created by sweeping four lines to end up with four triangles. One of the two solutions is shown to the right. Once you've completed the pattern, a surge of power will pass through the area and enchant Maggie's broomstick.
Betty in Port Sarim[edit | edit source]
Next, speak to Betty in her magic shop located in Port Sarim, and tell her about Maggie's broom. Although she would be happy to enchant it, she requires her wand which is stored and locked up in the basement. Nevertheless, she suggests talking to her assistant, Lottie, for help in retrieving it.
Climb down into the shop basement and speak to Lottie, who tells you that the wand is secure in the nearby chest and the key to unlock it is in the form of a puzzle - you need to put the menagerie in the southern chamber back into order.
Lottie will give you a magic slate that will help you keep track of the animals' locations while you are moving them around. Keep in mind that the animals can only be moved to a cage adjacent to their current one, and that you cannot have two animals in the same cage at the same time. The bat, snail and blackbird are already placed in their proper pens.
Hetty in Rimmington[edit | edit source]
For the final enchantment, travel to Rimmington and speak to Hetty in her house located east of the town well. Instead of enchanting the broom, Hetty promises to concoct a 'theurgical broom ointment' that you directly apply on the broomstick. However, she needs a newt to complete it.
Hetty has recently received a new package of newts and toads, so she asks you to simply retrieve a newt from her basement. Agree and go down the trapdoor south of her house. You'll meet up with Gus, the delivery ghoul, who explains that the three delivery crates - containing newts, toads, and a combination of newts and toads - have got their labels mixed up somehow and being phobic to newts, he cannot dare to look in and check each of the crates.
Gus requests you to help him label the crates correctly, keeping in mind that ALL the crates are wrongly labelled and that you can only remove ONE sample from any ONE crate. He gives you three labels to apply on the correct crates: Newt label, Toad label and Newts and toads label. The combination is different for every player.
To solve the puzzle, you must remember that every crate is labelled wrong, and that you are only allowed to choose the sample from one crate.
- Extract a creature from the incorrectly labelled 'Newt and Toad' mixture. If you extract a newt from the mixture crate, place a newt label on that crate; if you extract a toad from the mixture, put a toad label on that crate.
- Of the remaining two crates, one will have the label of the creature that wasn't in the previous crate; apply the 'Newts and Toads' label to this crate.
- Add the final label to the last box.
If you make a mistake, Gus will let you know and you can start over. Just keep trying the possible combinations from the table below until you get it right (sometimes it may glitch and he will only say "don't touch the crates without my permission").
|Left Box||Middle Box||Right Box|
|Newts & Toads||Newts||Toads|
|Newts||Newts & Toads||Toads|
|Newts||Toads||Newts & Toads|
|Newts & Toads||Toads||Newts|
|Toads||Newts & Toads||Newts|
|Toads||Newts||Newts & Toads|
After you've successfully labelled all the crates correctly, take a newt out of the newt crate and head back to Hetty. She'll apply some newt slime to the ointment and pass it back to you; use this mixture on the broom to enchant it.
Sugar, spice and everything nice[edit | edit source]
Bring the enchanted broom back to Maggie. She tells you that since you are the one who enchanted it, you get the honour of stirring the goulash with the 'good stuff'. Stir the goulash in the cauldron with the broomstick and talk to Maggie again to receive a bowl to drink the goulash in.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 2 quest points (or 1 quest point; depending on whether you had completed Witch's Potion/Sheep Shearer before they got demoted to a miniquest)
- A broomstick.
- 10 portions of experience-giving goulash, and a bowl to collect it with. Each drink gives experience equal to 10 times the corresponding skill level.
- Access to the Purple cat miniquest.
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
- Music unlocked
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Swept Away ( 0) – Complete this Novice quest.
- Advanced Sweeping ( 15) – Fully enchant your broomstick after the 'Swept Away' quest.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Swept Away is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
|Art & Graphics|
|Graphics||Nick F, Matt S, Lluis A P|
|Quality assurance||Nicola T|
|Quest Help||Katie B|
|Databox • Talk page|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 12 August 2019 (Update):
- Movement abilities such as Surge can no longer be used to bypass the core mechanics of the animal pen puzzle of Swept Away.
- ninja 9 October 2017 (Update):
- Swept Away's post-quest content (excluding the Sorceress' Garden and members area rewards) are now available to free players.
- patch 11 December 2013 (Update):
- An issue with returning players unable to complete the Swept Away quest has been resolved.
- patch 2 April 2013 (Update):
- The quest start icon has been added to the start location for Swept Away.
- patch 18 March 2013 (Update):
- Progress can now continue in the Swept Away quest after eating a humble pie.
- patch 2 November 2010 (Update):
- The Myths of the White Lands and Swept Away quests now report the correct number of Quest Points that a player will receive upon completing them.
- patch 10 August 2009 (Update):
- patch 26 November 2008 (Update):
- update 11 November 2008 (Update):
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On the day of the quest's release, the spoiler page said, "The spoilers are too afraid to show themselves today. Maybe they will be feeling braver tomorrow..."
- Upon the completion of this quest, one's Adventurer's Log will read: "Which witch is the greatest witch? I have an itching feeling that it may be me! I have learnt from the best and now I've gained my very own witching broom."
- Originally, this quest was only available to free players for the first two weeks of the Hallowe'en event; after 11 November 2008, only members could start the quest. On 24 June 2010, the quest became permanently available to free players.
- The starting point was originally south of Falador, but after 11 November 2008, the quest's starting point was moved to west of the Legends' Guild. When the quest became permanently available to free players, the starting point was shifted to south of Draynor Village, near the bridge to the Wizards' Tower. With the release of Divination, it moved yet again to its current location: south of Draynor Manor.
- The broomstick won second place in the Guaranteed Hallowe'en Poll for the 2007 Hallowe'en event, where it and the Grim reaper hood fought head-to-head.
- Lottie is the name of a witch's assistant in Diana Wynne Jones' book, Howl's Moving Castle.
- When you ask Aggie to leave the area, she mentions you'll be back faster than you can wiggle your nose. This is a reference to Bewitched, a T.V show where the main character cast spells by wiggling her nose.
- When Hetty in Rimmington says she needs you to retrieve a newt from her basement, your character replies with "A Newt?". This is likely a reference to the movie Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail, in which a similar verbal exchange is held amongst villagers about a witch.
|Removed or significantly changed|
|Italics denote that the quest was demoted to a miniquest.|