|Swan Song (#104)|
|Release date||2 May 2006 (Update)|
|Official series||Wise Old Man #1|
|Start area||Kandarin North-west|
|Combat||NPC combat level 90–99|
|Quest create ID||102|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Swan Song is a quest about the adventuring life of the Wise Old Man. His help is requested in aiding the Piscatoris Fishing Colony get rid of a sea troll invasion, a quest he views as his "swan song". That is, his final adventure before retiring.
Official description[edit | edit source]
|“||Out on the edge of the known world, the Piscatoris Fishing Colony stands on the brink of disaster. Angry sea trolls are emerging from the sea and attacking the colonists, preventing them from harvesting the valuable monkfish that live in those waters. A highly experienced adventurer will be needed to drive back the trolls for good.
The Colony's director, Herman Caranos, has a particular adventurer in mind: the notoriously amoral Wise Old Man of Draynor Village (allegations of his involvement in a spectacular bank robbery have never been substantiated).
If you're in the mood for a bit of combat, jump on the boat on the west side of the Gnome Stronghold, speak to the Colony's director and prepare to fight alongside the Wise Old Man as he embarks on his final adventure - his Swan Song.
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Speak to Herman Caranos at the Piscatoris Fishing Colony. Show on map|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Official length||Medium to Long|
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat|
Trollish[edit | edit source]
Head to the Piscatoris Fishing Colony and speak to Herman Caranos, who is by a fence outside the colony gate. It can be reached via a boat trip from the river to the west of the Gnome Stronghold, by fairy ring AKQ, or using a memory strand and running north from the Memorial to Guthix.
He will want a more seasoned adventurer than you to help. He will ask you to find the Wise Old Man of Draynor and secure his services—you will see a cut-scene of the Wise Old Man fighting various foes, such as the Kalphite Queen, some more successfully than others, as well as attacking the Drunken Dwarf. Agree to this, and travel to Draynor Village.
The Wise Old Man[edit | edit source]
Talk to the Wise Old Man. After some conversation, he will tell you that he requires 10 Lava runes, 10 Mist runes, and 5 Blood runes before he will help you. Give him these runes, and he will teleport to the fishing colony. If the player has these runes in their inventory already, an amusing conversation will take place, with both the player's character and the Wise Old Man mutually amazed, possibly a dig by Jagex at players who have looked the items up beforehand.
Battle at the colony[edit | edit source]
Travel back to the Piscatoris Fishing Colony. The Wise Old Man will be waiting in place of Herman Caranos. Talk to him to enter the main colony grounds, where you will be attacked by 7 level 63 Sea Trolls (3 at a time). A Dwarven Multicannon will not work here, and will explode after assembly, causing you to temporarily lose it.
The Wise Old Man will help you by casting Saradomin Strike on the trolls (he usually hits around 100); however, after 10 casts, he runs out of runes and resorts to throwing stones at the trolls, with a maximum hit of 30 (although you can give him more runes). A simple melee setup is sufficient to take out all the trolls. The Sea Trolls attack with melee and are weak to air spells. Use of Protect from Melee recommended if your combat level is under 60.
If your health gets low, run to either the north-west or south-west corner. This will cause the sea trolls to get stuck, and only one will be able to attack you.
Once you have killed the trolls, enter the gates of the colony. (When you have killed the trolls, you can pick up their bones to use later on in the quest.) The Wise Old Man will tell you to find Herman Caranos, after which he will disappear. Herman is in the building at the east end of the colony.
Repairing the colony[edit | edit source]
The following two tasks can be done in any order:
- Talk with Franklin Caranos, and repair the colony's walls.
- Talk with Arnold Lydspor, and refill the fishing colony's food stocks.
Franklin Caranos[edit | edit source]
Franklin is near the entrance gate to the colony. He will ask you to make five iron sheets to repair the west walls, which will require 1 iron bar per sheet. Iron ore for the bars can be obtained just outside the colony.
Enter the building just north of Franklin. Use a log on the firebox located on the east end of the metal-pressing machine and light the firebox. Once the press is heated, use the iron bars on the west end of the press to make iron sheets. Use the iron sheets on the broken walls on the west side of the colony. The section is highlighted in red on your minimap. Once you have done this, talk to Franklin again.
Arnold Lydspor[edit | edit source]
Speak to Arnold at the general store, west of Herman, at the bank sign on the minimap. He will tell you that the fishing colony has no food and that he needs 5 cooked fresh monkfish. The fishing spot for them is located north-west.
While fishing, sea trolls will repeatedly attack, getting stronger each time. When enough fresh monkfish have been caught, use them on the range in the south-western building. When you have 5 cooked fresh monkfish, take them to Arnold.
Raising an army[edit | edit source]
Return to Herman's office, and the Wise Old Man and Herman will tell you that they need an army to fight and defeat the Sea Trolls once and for all. The Wise Old Man tells you to visit Wizard Frumscone in the basement of the Magic Guild, by the zombies.
Head to the basement of the Magic Guild in Yanille. Talk to Wizard Frumscone, who will refuse to help you, but says Malignius Mortifer may.
Malignius Mortifer is south of Falador, directly east of Armadyl's Tower, and will refuse to talk to anybody wearing or holding Saradomin-aligned items. A quick way to get there is to teleport to the Port Sarim lodestone and run north until you are slightly past Betty's runes shop. He needs seven normal bones. When you give them to him, he will say you need some way of storing the seeds he will give you and that the Crafting Guild may know.
Head west to the Crafting Guild. Ask the Almost Master Crafter that is just inside the door (NOT the one that sells the Crafting cape, he refuses to help you) how to make the container. He will recommend a pot with a pot lid.
Take the pot with the lid back to Malignius.
He will teleport you to outside the fishing colony after you have finished talking with him.
The final battle[edit | edit source]
After entering the colony and talking to Herman, you will be shown a cutscene of your army of Skeletal mages defeating the Sea Trolls and then the Wise Old Man killing the Sea Troll General. However, while he is celebrating, he gets hit for 2345 life points. He will pretend to be disabled for the rest of the fight, so you must take on the Sea Troll Queen yourself.
The Wise Old Man kills the Sea Troll General
Strategies[edit | edit source]
- The Queen uses Water Wave and a basic melee attack when possible. It should also be noted that because the Queen cannot move, you are able to retreat out of battle to heal safely.
- Since Arnold Lydspor is a banker, standing next to him will fully heal you provided you wait a few seconds. This is very useful if you run out of food, as he is close to the Queen but out of her range.
- If you are using protection prayers and are not within melee range, the Queen will use a powerful prayer-draining attack. This means that long-ranged attacks are inadvisable unless you are confident in your armour to protect you from her powerful magical spells, which can hit very high.
- Using ranged or mage against her from afar will limit her to only using magic. Activate Protect or Deflect Magic, which should be set up as a quick prayer, and sip a dose of Prayer Renewal at the start of the battle. When she drains your prayer completely, immediately reactivate it since the prayer renewal will continue to regenerate some prayer over five minutes. If good at prayer flashing, the queen will deliver little-to-no damage, thus saving food.
- Meleeing the Queen means she will not use her prayer draining attack; however, she uses both melee and magic attacks. She can easily hit over 700 with magical attacks, so it is best to use Protect from Magic. It is also recommended to take good food. Although lobsters work fine, monkfish or better are recommended. You can also bring an extra prayer potion or two if you want to be safe.
- She is not too hard at all for a skilled fighter, though she should not be taken for a pushover either.
- Do not attempt to use a cannon. It will disappear when set up.
After defeating the Queen, talk to Herman to finish the quest. In a humorous dialogue the Wise Old Man mentions a reward for the player, and the player practically begs for his blue partyhat. The Wise Old Man leaves ignoring the player's plea.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 2 quest points
- 15,000 experience
- 10,000 experience
- 10,000 experience
- 25,000 coins
- Access to the Piscatoris Fishing Colony
- Can get the following items from Malignius Mortifer upon request:
- Able to transmute raw bass into raw monkfish
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
- Music unlocked
- Making Waves
- Last Stand
- Eagle Peak (depending on how you walk to Kathy Corkat)
- Joy of the Hunt (if you took Kathy's boat, or walk toward it in the fishing colony)
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Swan Song ( 0) – Complete this quest.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Swan Song is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
|Art & Graphics|
|Quality assurance||Adam D|
|Quest Help||Mod Osborne|
|Databox • Talk page|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 3 May 2022 (Update):
- Fixed an issue causing the Firebox to use more protean logs than intended during the Swan Song quest.
- patch 16 September 2019 (Update):
- A graphical issue with the water during the Swan Song quest has been fixed.
- patch 21 August 2012 (Update):
- patch 25 October 2011 (Update):
- patch 25 August 2010 (Update):
- Rewrote some of the code used in the Swan Song quest and related cutscenes.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Franklin Caranos notes that the player has never smithed metal products with heat, which causes most real life objects to be brittle; Jagex may be poking fun at themselves for not including this part in the Smithing process.
- He still notes this after the Mining and Smithing rework despite it introducing heating as a very central part of Smithing.
- A swan song is an idiom referring to a final theatrical or dramatic appearance, or any final work or accomplishment. This is referring to it being the Wise Old Man's final adventure.
- Asking the Wise Old Man to check your bank for items while at the Piscatoris fishing colony still completes the "Klept-Old-Man-ia" task, even though he cannot check your bank.
- Upon completion of the quest, the Adventurer's Log states: Now that the Piscatoris fishing colony is safe, the Wise Old Man has returned to Draynor to retire from his adventurous life.
- During the quest fight scene with the Wise Old Man, if you have a walk animation active, you can see him using the walk animation.
- If you speak to Malignus with the bones in your inventory before he asks for them, he will say, "Hah! And I thought only necromancers and jogres carried bones around with them!"
|Part 1 of the Wise Old Man quest series|