|Release date||20 November 2012 (Update)|
|Cooldown||20.4 seconds (34 ticks)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Surge is a basic ability that requires level 5 Agility, which can be found under the Magic ability book. When activated, the player is transported up to 10 game squares ahead in a straight line, including diagonally. Surge is useful both in combat and non-combat scenarios, where a player may travel a longer distance on foot. It is possible to surge through certain walls or barriers, provided the player is standing diagonally upon activation and that there is a legitimate path to get to the destination by simply walking. Thus, it cannot be used to get to places that are inaccessible in the first place, such as behind the counters in banks.
Surge shares its cooldown timer with Escape. In PvP-enabled areas, it also shares its cooldown with Bladed Dive. Surge can be activated during the global cooldown timer, granting no adrenaline. The Mobile perk will halve its cooldown, but at the cost of gaining no adrenaline. A powerburst of acceleration can be used to instantly reset the cooldown of Surge and reduce the cooldown to 1.2 seconds for six seconds. The Shadow's Grace relic power will apply the Mobile perk as a permanent buff, even in Daemonheim and the Wilderness. It does not stack with the effects of any equipment containing the buff on an installed gizmo.
This ability can be useful in PvP for helping players run away from a fight to survive. Also, this ability has an effect of cancelling out channelled or multi-hit abilities such as Assault in PvP if surging outside the enemy's attack range. If a player has auto-retaliate turned on and use Surge via a customized keybind, they will be unable to retaliate until they select a target to attack manually. Using Surge via a mouse click on the action bar will not interrupt retaliation and players may move towards enemies attacking them. Surge is activated automatically through Revolution under normal circumstances.
Double Surge[edit | edit source]
Upon reading the double Surge codex, Surge will gain a second charge with an independent cooldown, allowing the ability to be used twice in a row. At most one of the cooldowns is visible at any given time - the one that is closest to being available for use. If one charge is available for use, no cooldown is displayed. This means that each charge essentially acts as the normal Surge; the lowest of the two cooldown timers will be visible and the highest will be hidden. There is no visible indication on whether or not the hidden charge is available for use to allow the ability to be used twice in a row.
Double Surge is not enabled in the Wilderness, if the player is opted in to PVP. However, if the first instance of Surge is used outside the Wilderness, the second Surge is immediately available even after entering the Wilderness. The first Surge will then still continue to count down separately even with the second one used inside the Wilderness, allowing what is effectively a double Surge once inside the Wilderness. In other words, only when the first Surge is used within the Wilderness, will it also force the second charge on cooldown, but not vice versa.
If an item with the Mobile perk is equipped, it affects both instances of Surge - on the condition that it was equipped before the first instance of Surge was used. If an item with Mobile is equipped after the first Surge was used, the second instance of Surge will not have a reduced cooldown even if that instance was used with the Mobile perk active.
The antispam delay for double Surge can be modified at the lectern used to create the codex.
Limitations[edit | edit source]
Surge cannot be used in the following areas:
- Most quest instances
- Player-owned houses
- Private hunting areas
- Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza
- Rune Essence mine
- Premier Club Vault
- Instanced versions of the Borehole (where Vorago's head is challenged to begin the fight)
- 2016 Easter event wight maze
Achievement[edit | edit source]
- I Meant To Do That ( 10) – Surge a distance of one tile.
- Gotta Go Fast ( 10) – Unlock double Surge and double Escape ability upgrades.
- Spinal Surgery ( 5) – Surge under the spine on Anachronia.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 12 Dec 2022 (Update):
- To fit within the free-to-play skill cap, and to make it more accessible in general, the requirement for Dive, Escape and Surge has been lowered from 30 Agility to 5 Agility.
- Revolution now supports untargeted Agility abilities, so Escape and Surge can once again be put on a Revolution bar, if that's how you roll!
- patch 5 Dec 2022 (Update):
- The Escape and Surge abilities now require 30 Agility instead of 30 Ranged and Magic respectively, so that movement abilities do not require combat skills.
- patch 30 May 2022 (Update):
- Players who Surge to Moia towards the end of Extinction are no longer blocked from continuing the quest.
- patch 14 March 2022 (Update):
- patch 5 October 2020 (Update):
- You can no longer skip the Nemi Forest loading area using the Surge ability.
- patch 1 September 2020 (Update):
- patch 27 July 2020 (Update):
- patch 2 December 2019 (Update):
- Escape no longer puts Surge on cooldown if under the effects of the Powerburst of Movement.
- patch 28 January 2019 (Update):
- The Surge and Escape abilities will now correctly show as locked if their level requirement is not met.
- ninja 23 October 2017 (Update):
- Surge and Escape are now usable during the global cooldown period, similar to Bladed Dive outside of PvP areas.
- patch 16 January 2017 (Update):
- It is now possible to use the Surge ability in the following places:
- TzHaar Fight Cave, Fight Kiln, Fight Cauldron, Sinkholes, Max Guild, Pest Control, Dominion Tower, Monastery of Ascension labs (inside Legio boss fight instances), Stealing Creation, Frost dragons, Queen Black Dragon loot chamber, Freneskae (Nihils, Muspah, etc), Rush of Blood, player-owned ports, Bork, Skeletal Horror, Araxxor and Vorago instances (outside of the boss fights)
- It is now possible to use the Surge ability in the following places:
- ninja 31 October 2016 (Update):
- Surge (and similar) can no longer be used to get around the trapped floor pit puzzle in the Underground Pass.
- patch 11 January 2016 (Update):
- ninja 30 March 2015 (Update):
- Players can now use the Surge, Barge and Escape abilities in Barbarian Assault.
- patch 16 March 2015 (Update):
- It is now possible to use surge in the King Black Dragon, Corporeal Beast, dagannoth kings, Kalphite Queen, Exiled Kalphite Queen and Queen Black Dragon boss instances.
- There is no longer a delay after using Barge, Surge or Escape.
- ninja 5 January 2015 (Update):
- Players are now able to use Barge, Surge and Escape inside God Wars hard mode instances.
- patch 3 March 2014 (Update):
- patch 26 November 2013 (Update):
- It's no longer possible to use the Surge ability to bypass the collapsing Barrows tunnels during Rise of the Six.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Although described as a teleport in its tooltip, the animation and the fact that the player cannot surge into inaccessible areas (with the exceptions of narrow walls and corners) suggest that the player instead actually moves at superhuman speed.