|Release date||20 November 2012 (Update)|
|Instantly teleport up to 10 meters in a straight line ahead.|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Surge is a basic Magic ability. It requires level 30 Magic to use. When activated the player teleports 10 game squares ahead in a straight line, including diagonally. This is useful outside of combat whenever travelling a large distance on foot. It is possible to teleport through certain walls or barriers if standing diagonally, provided that there is a legitimate path to get there without the Surge ability in the first place. Thus, it cannot be used to get to places that are inaccessible in the first place, such as behind the counters in banks.
This move can be useful in PvP for helping you run away from a fight to survive. Also, this ability has an effect of cancelling out Assault (when it is used against you) in PvP.
If a player has auto-retaliate turned on and use Surge via a customised keybind, he/she will be unable to retaliate until he/she selects a target to attack manually. Using Surge via a mouse click on the action bar will not interrupt retaliation and player may move towards enemy attacking him/her. Putting Surge on active action bar will not trigger this ability at all.
Surge is activated automatically through Revolution under normal circumstances.
Double Surge[edit | edit source]
Upon reading the double Surge codex, Surge will gain the ability to be used twice before going on cooldown. The first charge of surge has an invisible cooldown which is the same as the ability's normal cooldown, while the second charge will put the ability on cooldown for 20 seconds (10 with the Mobile perk). If Surge is only used once within the cooldown time of the first charge, it will reset, allowing the player to surge twice without putting the ability on cooldown. Double surge is not enabled in the Wilderness.
The antispam delay for double Surge can be modified at the lectern used to create the codex.
Limitations[edit | edit source]
Surge cannot be used in the following areas:
- 2016 Easter event wight maze; every other area is allowed
- Clan Citadels
- Player-owned houses
- Private hunting areas
- Rune Essence mine
- Quest instances
- Duel Arena
- Premier Club Vault
Achievement[edit | edit source]
- I Meant To Do That ( 10) – Surge a distance of one tile.
- Gotta Go Fast ( 10) – Unlock double Surge and double Escape ability upgrades.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 28 January 2019 (Update):
- The Surge and Escape abilities will now correctly show as locked if their level requirement is not met.
- ninja 31 October 2016 (Update):
- Surge (and similar) can no longer be used to get around the trapped floor pit puzzle in the Underground Pass.
- patch 11 January 2016 (Update):
- ninja 30 March 2015 (Update):
- Players can now use the Surge, Barge and Escape abilities in Barbarian Assault.
- patch 16 March 2015 (Update):
- It is now possible to use surge in the King Black Dragon, Corporeal Beast, dagannoth kings, Kalphite Queen, Exiled Kalphite Queen and Queen Black Dragon boss instances.
- There is no longer a delay after using Barge, Surge or Escape.