|Release||25 April 2016 (Update)|
|Quest item||River of Blood|
|Stacks in bank||No|
|Destroy||You can reclaim it from Ivan in Paterdomus for 600,000 coins.|
|Sunspear, wielded as a thrown javelin.|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
The Sunspear (ranged) is a degradable ranged throwing weapon requiring 78 Ranged to wield. It acts as a Sunspear against vampyres and as wolfbane against the werewolves in Canifis. At any point it can be switched to a spear or magic staff version using the Switch-style right-click option, retaining all current charges.
During River of Blood, it is made by combining a blisterwood shaft, wolfbane, and the broken Sunspear, requiring 75 Fletching. It can only be created once, but can be reclaimed (with full charge) from Ivan Strom for 600,000 coins. It can also be augmented using an augmentor, and retains the ability to switch styles.
Completing the quest also unlocks this weapon as a cosmetic override.
Combat stats[edit | edit source]
|Armour||0.0||PvM: 0%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|FAQ • docs|
Benefits[edit | edit source]
Sunspear, like blisterwood weapons, is fully effective against all vampyres, vyrewatch, and vyrelords/ladies; when fighting them, it has the following benefits:
- Able to damage them
- Prevent juvinates in Darkmeyer (but not elsewhere) from transforming into dust and escaping
- +50% hit chance
- Chance to deal up to double the normal damage for that attack (including bleeds like Dismember)
- Every 50 vyre corpses cremated in the Columbarium grants +10 damage (a maximum of +100)
- Automatically cremates vyre corpses, granting 280 Prayer and 200 Firemaking experience (+50% with Morytania achievements complete), with a 20% chance of dropping additional loot (similar to Shiny columbarium key loot; increased chance with columbarium ring)
- Cremations this way do not count towards the total cremations
- The sunspear does also benefit from burning vyre corpses, up to a max of 500. 
See Category:Susceptible to blisterwood weapons for a full list of affected monsters.
Increasing bonuses[edit | edit source]
For every 50 Vyre corpses cremated, the player obtains better equipment bonuses when using the Ivandis flail, blisterwood weapons and all variants of the sunspear. A message appears in the chat box "You feel more experienced with the Ivandis Flail." The current cremation count can be viewed either with the "Check" option on the flail when it is in the inventory or by searching the lectern at the south end of the columbarium.
The bonus to the equipment stats is invisible and doesn't appear in the "Show Equipment Stats" panel. The bonus is only effective when used against Vampyre Juveniles, Vampyre Juvinates, and Vyrewatch. The sunspear reaches maximum power after 500 Vyre corpses have been cremated. This is a requirement for obtaining the trimmed completionist cape and master quest cape.
Repair[edit | edit source]
The base repair cost of the Sunspear (ranged) when completely degraded to 0.0% item charge is 600,000 coins. It can be repaired by:
- Bob - the axe seller in Lumbridge
- Tindel Marchant - the weapon and armour repairman at Port Khazard
- Dunstan - the smith in Burthorpe
- Squire - in the workshop area of the Void Knights' Outpost
If it is only partially degraded the cost of a full repair is multiplied by the percentage of item charge that needs to be repaired to produce the current repair cost.
template = Calculator:Template/Smithing/Armour stand form = repairForm result = repairResult param = level|Smithing level (1-106)|1|int|1-106|| param = charge|Item Charge|0.0|number|0.0-100.0|| param = cost|cost|600000|hidden|||
|The result will appear here when you submit the form.|
Drops[edit | edit source]
The following charms are added when cremating vampyres with the Sunspear:
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Green charm (m)||1||Rare||1||1|
|Crimson charm (m)||1||Uncommon||1||1|
|Blue charm (m)||1||Rare||2||2|
Note: Charms are a secondary reward, obtained with other items
Sunspear drops[edit source]
The following drops are added when cremating vampyres with the Sunspear:
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Medium spiky rune salvage||1||Uncommon||22,632||24,000|
|Large plated rune salvage||1||Uncommon||30,639||32,000|
|Tiny plated rune salvage||1||Uncommon||6,854||8,000|
|Dragon spear (m)||1||Rare||35,565||37,440|
|Blood rune (m)||15||Common||8,220||1,650|
|Grimy lantadyme (m)||2 (noted)||Uncommon||18,528||0|
|Grimy snapdragon (m)||2 (noted)||Uncommon||3,244||0|
|Grimy kwuarm (m)||2 (noted)||Uncommon||25,324||0|
|Grimy dwarf weed (m)||2 (noted)||Uncommon||37,152||0|
|Grimy toadflax (m)||2 (noted)||Uncommon||23,544||0|
|Grimy torstol (m)||2 (noted)||Uncommon||11,028||0|
|Toadflax seed (m)||1||Common||1,552||20|
|Irit seed (m)||1||Common||675||38|
|Kwuarm seed (m)||1||Uncommon||6,188||38|
|Lantadyme seed (m)||1||Uncommon||283||38|
|Dwarf weed seed (m)||1||Uncommon||4,936||38|
|Watermelon seed (m)||8||Common||19,032||264|
|Snape grass seed (m)||8||Common||9,664||96|
|Morchella mushroom spore (m)||3||Common||774||153|
|Belladonna seed (m)||1||Common||995||106|
|Red spiders' eggs||4 (noted)||Common||11,612||16|
|Adamantite stone spirit||8||Common||296||Not alchemisable|
|Uncut ruby||4 (noted)||Common||6,948||240|
|Uncut diamond||4 (noted)||Uncommon||19,576||480|
|Runite stone spirit||1||Uncommon||2,089||Not alchemisable|
|Loop half of a key (m)||1 (noted)||Rare||11,934||0|
|Tooth half of a key (m)||1 (noted)||Rare||12,116||0|
|Limpwurt root||8 (noted)||Rare||37,768||32|
Comparison with other Ranged weapons[edit | edit source]
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||3.0%|
|1 × Undead components||1/20|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 19 February 2018 (Update):
- It's no longer possible to augment an already-augmented Sunspear (ranged).
- patch 15 May 2017 (Update):
- The two-handed Sunspear (and augmented variation) can now swap styles during combat.
- patch 6 February 2017 (Update):
- The Sunspear can now be activated as a cosmetic override from the wardrobe interface for each combat style.
- patch 3 May 2016 (Update):
- Players can now keepsake the non-augmented non-broken versions of all Sunspear types.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On the day of release, this version dealt significantly less damage using abilities - the damage to be approximated around a level 10 weapon - than its counterparts.
- Prior to 6 March 2017, the override unlocked was essentially unusable, as the ranged Sunspear is the only two-handed throwing weapon ingame. The override is now usable with any thrown weapon or one-handed crossbow.
Two-handed thrown weapons