|Release||14 September 2015 (Update)|
|Destroy||You can reclaim it from Ivan in Paterdomus.|
|Backpack||Wield, Check kills, Destroy|
|Lord Drakan's legendary blisterwood weapon - once a dagger, then a spear, now a sword.|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
The sunspear is a main hand melee weapon that requires level 75 Attack to wield. It is earned upon completion of The Lord of Vampyrium. Like blisterwood weapons, it can damage all vampyric creatures.
Vyrewatch, vyrelords and vyreladies killed with this weapon will automatically have their corpses cremated, granting 150 experience in Firemaking, and scaling experience in Prayer: 210 experience will be awarded before level 90, upon gaining this level 280 experience will be awarded. This is increased by 50% if Morytania legs 4 are worn. In addition, vyres killed this way have a 20% chance of dropping loot similar to that given by shiny columbarium keys. This extra loot chance can be increased by wearing a columbarium ring.
Cremating corpses this way does not count towards the total kills that are required to upgrade the Ivandis flail.
When using abilities, the Sunspear can be combined with a higher-tier off-hand weapon (such as an off-hand drygore mace) to increase ability damage without affecting the ability to damage vampyres. Auto-attacks will require an off-hand blisterwood sickle in order to deal damage.
If lost, it can be reclaimed from Ivan Strom for 100,000 coins.
Combat stats[edit | edit source]
|Armour||0.0||PvM: 0%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|FAQ • docs|
- Sunspear benefits
The Sunspear, like blisterwood weapons, is fully effective against all vampyres, vyrewatch, and vyrelords/ladies; when fighting them, it has the following benefits:
- The player is able to deal damage to them.
- Prevent juvinates in Darkmeyer (but not elsewhere) from transforming into dust and escaping.
- +75% hit chance.
- A chance to deal up to double the normal damage for that attack (including bleeds such as Dismember).
- Every 50 vyre corpses cremated in the Columbarium grants +10 damage (a maximum of +100).
- Automatically cremates vyre corpses, granting 280 Prayer and 200 Firemaking experience (+50% with Morytania achievements complete), with a 20% chance of dropping additional loot (similar to Shiny columbarium key loot; increased chance with columbarium ring).
- Cremations this way do not count towards the total cremations.
- The sunspear does also benefit from burning vyre corpses, up to a max of 500.
See Category:Susceptible to blisterwood weapons for a full list of affected monsters.
History[edit | edit source]
The Sunspear was originally created for and wielded by Queen Efaritay; it is created from blisterwood and blessed silver and is therefore very effective against vampyres. It was meant to be used in the battle against the invading vampyres led by Lord Drakan. But as Queen Efaritay surrendered after Drakan's capture of her husband King Ascertes, it is unknown how much the Sunspear was used in the battle. After the victory over Hallowvale it was taken in possession by Lowerniel Drakan who used it as his weapon of choice - even creating more weapons based on it. He used the Sunspear in the fight against the Myreque when they invaded his home in an assassination attempt. During the fight, his sister Vanescula got hold of the weapon, stabbing him with it and weakening him. After his defeat at the hands of the Myreque, the lieutenant reclaimed the head of the spear and killed the Lord of Morytania with it.
During River of Blood, the Sunspear is reforged into its former glory by combining it with a blisterwood shaft and the wolfbane dagger making a sunspear (melee). This upgraded weapon can be toggled into a sunspear (magic) or sunspear (ranged).
Should the player speak with Kara-Meir on Tuska's corpse while carrying the Sunspear she claims to still have it, and that it is a dagger, not a sword. She and the player then speculate that both weapons might have originated as parts of the same spear or perhaps being part of another Sunspear.
Increasing bonuses[edit | edit source]
For every 50 Vyre corpses cremated, the player obtains better equipment bonuses when using the Ivandis flail, blisterwood weapons and all variants of the sunspear. A message appears in the chat box "You feel more experienced with the Ivandis Flail." The current cremation count can be viewed either with the "Check" option on the flail when it is in the inventory or by searching the lectern at the south end of the columbarium.
The bonus to blisterwood weapons is accumulated even if The Branches of Darkmeyer quest has not been completed. If the quest is later completed, the blisterwood weapons receive the bonus immediately.
The bonus to the equipment stats is invisible and doesn't appear in the "Show Equipment Stats" panel. The bonus is only effective when used against Vampyre Juveniles, Vampyre Juvinates, and Vyrewatch. The sunspear reaches maximum power after 500 Vyre corpses have been cremated. This is a requirement for obtaining the trimmed completionist cape and master quest cape.
Drops[edit | edit source]
The following charms are added when cremating vampyres with the Sunspear:
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE Price||High Alch|
Note: Charms are a secondary reward, obtained with other items
Sunspear drops[edit source]
The following drops are added when cremating vampyres with the Sunspear:
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE Price||High Alch|
|Medium spiky rune salvage||1||Uncommon||21,741||24,000|
|Large plated rune salvage||1||Uncommon||29,821||32,000|
|Tiny plated rune salvage||1||Uncommon||6,466||8,000|
|Grimy lantadyme||1 (noted)||Uncommon||4,053||1|
|Grimy avantoe||1 (noted)||Uncommon||811||1|
|Grimy kwuarm||1 (noted)||Uncommon||2,547||1|
|Grimy dwarf weed||1 (noted)||Uncommon||4,594||1|
|Grimy toadflax||1 (noted)||Uncommon||3,752||1|
|Grimy torstol||1 (noted)||Uncommon||2,861||1|
|Dwarf weed seed||1||Uncommon||3,969||38|
|Snape grass seed||8||Common||14,616||96|
|Morchella mushroom spore||3||Common||813||153|
|Cave nightshade seed||1||Common||966||106|
|Red spiders' eggs||4 (noted)||Common||916||16|
|Adamantite stone spirit||8||Common||296||Not alchemisable|
|Uncut ruby||4 (noted)||Common||1,540||240|
|Uncut diamond||4 (noted)||Uncommon||3,608||480|
|Runite stone spirit||1||Uncommon||922||Not alchemisable|
|Loop half of a key||1 (noted)||Rare||9,114||1|
|Tooth half of a key||1 (noted)||Rare||9,137||1|
|Limpwurt root||8 (noted)||Rare||2,912||32|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 3 May 2016 (Update):
- Players can now keepsake the non-augmented non-broken versions of all Sunspear types.
- patch 5 October 2015 (Update):
- Prayer & Firemaking XP granted by Sunspear kills is now up to 4 times its previous value, increasing with player's level in Prayer and Firemaking.
- Sunspear can now be reclaimed from Ivan Strom in Paterdomus for a 100k fee.
- Kills no longer counts for Columbarium Cremation.
- Changed Columbarium loot chance to 1 in 5.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Although the Sunspear does not literally possess any sun-like attributes or powers, the "sun" in its name probably references how vampyres in fiction are often killed or severely weakened by sunlight.
- An update was made to the Sunspear on 5 October 2015 that changed the cremation mechanic of the weapon. The chance of receiving loot similar to that of shiny columbarium keys has been lowered to around 20%, from 100%, cremation count will no longer increase while killing Vyrewatch with this weapon, and on the opposite side, will now grant up to 4x more Prayer and Firemaking experience per kill, based on your current levels.
- A blisterwood sickle can have higher damage with sufficient vyre cremations, but the Sunspear will have better overall damage per second than even the maxed blisterwood sickle, due to the accuracy of its higher tier.
- As a part of tooltip update on October 31st 2022 Mod Sponge referenced Sunspear and all other vampyric weaponry having +75% accuracy buff rather than 50%.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Mod Rowley's Twitter account. 24 July 2018. (Archived from the original on 16 April 2022.) Mod Rowley: "All versions of it benefit from the same vyre burning as does the Ivandis flail."
|Part 8 of the Myreque quest series|
|Part 9 of the Myreque quest series|
Main hand stab weapons
|Dyed drygore rapiers|
|Dyed khopesh of Tumeken|