||4 March 2013 (Update)
||60 seconds (100 ticks)
|Summon a sunbeam to shine over your location, lasting 30 seconds. During this time, provided you remain within the beam, your magic damage will be increased by 50%. If your target enters the beam, they will be hit for 10%-20% of weapon damage every 2 seconds.
|Infobox • Talk page
Sunshine is an ultimate magic ability with a requirement of 85 Magic. It is a reward for completing the grandmaster quest The World Wakes.
The player creates a circle of light covering a 7x7 area, granting them an increase of 50% to their magic damage as long as they stay inside the beam. A damage-over-time effect is applied to the primary target (at time of casting) if they enter the beam, causing damage for 10% to 20% of main-hand weapon damage every 2 seconds, for a total of 30 seconds. This damage-over-time is not influenced by magic level or stats for other equipment.
The tooltip for this ability is somewhat misleading. Only if your current target is within the sunbeam upon cast will they begin to take the damage-over-time. They will be damaged until either the sunbeam disappears, they leave the sunbeam, or they die. Should your target die and you attack another enemy or you simply switch targets, the next enemy will not be affected by the damage-over-time effects of Sunshine.
Damage of magic ability bleeds like Combust or Corruption Blast are not increased. Onslaught is also unaffected by Sunshine.
The ability was buffed with the release of the sirenic armour. Previously the effects only lasted for 10 seconds, making it quite impractical and inferior in comparison to Metamorphosis. However, now that it lasts 30 seconds, coupled with the damage over time effect, Sunshine is superior to Metamorphosis. The user is able to squeeze in both Asphyxiate and Wild Magic, the most damaging magic thresholds, or build up to an ultimate ability, both resulting in devastating damage. If a player uses the ring of vigour when using Sunshine and drinks an adrenaline potion afterwards, Wild Magic should be used before Asphyxiate because Wild Magic will be off cooldown a few seconds before Sunshine ends.
Sunshine shares its cooldown with Metamorphosis.
The advantage of this ability is that the Sunshine area effect does not seem to be affected by high defence, making this useful against bosses that are hard to hit.
With the Planted Feet perk, Sunshine will last for 37.8 seconds but the damage-over-time effect is removed. This perk may be worth using if training in multi-combat, as the damage-over-time effect only applies to the primary target when it was cast.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 27 March 2017 (Update):
- Sunshine's animation when used with the Planted Feet perk has been extended to match the active duration the perk.
- patch 16 January 2017 (Update):
- The Planted Feet perk now has the effect that the duration of Sunshine and Death's Swiftness is increased by 25%, but they no longer deal periodic damage to your target. This effect is not cancelled by switching weapon while Death's Swiftness or Sunshine are in effect, and Planted Feet no longer affects Berserk.
- patch 25 January 2016 (Update):
- The Sunshine ability will now deal the correct damage over time.
- ninja 23 February 2015 (Update):
- It is now possible to cast Death's Swiftness and Sunshine without a target.
- patch 28 July 2014 (Update):
- The Sunshine ability now requires wielding a magic weapon.
- patch 7 July 2014 (Update):
- The animation during the Sunshine ability will no longer appear through the ceiling.
- patch 30 October 2013 (Update):
- Players no longer lose their adrenaline when attempting to cast Sunshine and Death's Swiftness too close to another player's sunbeam or death shroud.
- Sunshine can indirectly kill a target if it is used against them but the player does not directly attack them. The target will not retaliate back at the player who used it, if they are not aggressive. The same also affects Death's Swiftness, and may be a glitch.
- Although the Sunshine ability appears to encompass a 5x5 area, it actually extends much farther.