Summer Skill Off
|Summer Skill Off|
|Release date||29 July 2019 (Update)|
|Reward||Overrides and a pet|
|Head developer||Mod Campfire|
|Preceded by||Breaking the Storm|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Summer Skill Off was a time-limited event hosted by Morn that started on 29 July 2019 and ended on 5 August 2019. Throughout the event, players can earn Skill Off tokens anywhere in Gielinor which can be converted to mystery boxes or used at one of the skilling stations in Lumbridge Crater for extra experience and to progress in the event.
Handing in skill tokens at the stations will count them as the player's vote. The way you hand in tokens is by skilling in a given station, this will take 5 tokens per action and provide increased experience rates as well as counting as progress for the event. Ironman accounts cannot consume tokens while skilling at any station, barring them from the increased experience rates; however they may turn in the tokens for the event cosmetics or convert them to mystery boxes. Following a hotfix, ironman accounts can also vote on which skill(s) should stay without receiving the increased experience rates.
At the end of each day the featured skill with the fewest votes will be eliminated. Players can still use the skilling stations for the eliminated skills, however votes can no longer be handed in.
Skilling pets can be obtained while participating in the skilling activities at the event.
Event noticeboards offered free teleports to the event area.
Login messages[edit | edit source]
Logging in during the event prompted the following message:
This was followed by the listing of the skills still remaining in the competition: sic]Once the winning skill was determined, the message was [
Skilling activities[edit | edit source]
At the start of the event, all activities were available to participate in, awarding a set amount of base experience. Every day, the activity with the fewest votes would be "eliminated", while the remaining activities would receive a 10% increase to their base experience. Following elimination, a skill station may still be trained at, however the experience gained will remain the same as it was before its elimination.
There is a 10% experience boost in Lumbridge Crater during the event. This affects all skilling done in the area. Furthermore, while using the skill activities still in the competition, there is an option to use the Skill Off tokens while training. This makes every experience drop consume five tokens, increasing the base experience gained by a static amount. 100 spent tokens count for a vote towards that skill. If one runs out of tokens while participating in an activity, the experience rate resumes to normal until more tokens are obtained, at which point the tokens will be used again automatically.
All activities except Hunter provide continuous experience at 3-second intervals until the activity is interrupted. Hunter is a bit more random; whenever the player catches a wolpertinger, there is an additional 1.2-second delay between experience gains.
|Activity||Base XP/action[a 1]||Base XP/hr[a 1][a 2]||Base XP/action increase with tokens||XP modifier[a 3]||Host||Date eliminated|
|Join the pet parade||58||69,600||210.9||+40%||Gabe||3 August 2019|
|Dungeoneer in the Dungeoneering hole||106||127,200||385.4||+50%||Dungeoneering hole||N/A|
|Risk your life for Runecrafting with Eva's Runecrafting Workbench||72||86,400||261.8||+20%||Eva||1 August 2019|
|Use Peter's cooker||83||99,600||301.8||0%||Peter||30 July 2019|
|Brew hair growth potion at the cauldron||68||81,600||247.2||+30%||Joey||2 August 2019|
|Hunt Wolpertingers||89||106,800||323.6||+10%||Gunther||31 July 2019|
Shop[edit | edit source]
Players could purchase boosts from the shop tab in the event interface.
|Small event currency package||Provides 500 Skill Off tokens||45 RuneCoins|
|Medium event currency package||Provides 2500 Skill Off tokens||240 RuneCoins|
|Large event currency package||Provides 5000 Skill Off tokens||385 RuneCoins|
|Currency doubler||Doubles currency gained during the Skill Off, and gives you any currency you would have missed.||195 RuneCoins|
Skill Off tokens can be converted from a player's inventory or currency pouch into mystery boxes.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
|Skill Off Tokens||Reward milestone|
|2,500||Big event mystery box (Summer Skill Off)|
|10,000||Big event mystery box (Summer Skill Off)|
Personalities[edit | edit source]
In addition to Norm and the activity hosts, the event area hosted Ivan mocking an auto-typing player during Breaking the Storm, Norm advertising the currency doublers, Randall showcasing the blightreaver, and two snack yaks as a teaser for the reward pet.
After the event[edit | edit source]
After the event on 5 August 2019 Lumbridge Crater was still hosting the event features, but training was no longer possible. Attempting to interact with any remaining skilling stations (Eva's Runecrafting Workbench, Peter's cooker, or Dungeoneering hole) would yield the message Currency doublers could still be purchased, rewarding all the bonus Skill Off tokens, but still not making it possible to gain any more.
Morn, Norm, Randall, and the snack yak in the centre of the area remained. The winner's hole was also added next to Morn. After the game update on 5 August, the winner's hole was erroneously replaced by Gabe for a short time.
The experience boost was also removed with the event ending.
Music[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 12 August 2019 (Update):
- The Spectacular Summer Skill Off is now over! As such, Morn has now packed up and moved on.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The empty cages found near the Hunter skilling station have the same examine text as the one that Santa Claus was trapped in during the Christmas 2013 event.
- All of the skilling station hosts (except the Dungeoneering hole) have been involved in a previous event.
- If you try to teleport while skilling, every skilling station has a unique way to say you cannot teleport while skilling.
- Agility: "You're having such a wonderful time with the animals that you don't want to teleport away."
- Dungeoneering: "It's too dark to teleport."
- Runecrafting: "Teleporting while working on Eva's machine is sure to yield unintended results."
- Cooking: "Rule 23 of 'Cooks' Club' - Do not attempt to teleport while cooking."
- Herblore: "If you teleport away now Joey might end up being bald forever. Can you live with that on your conscience?"
- Hunter: "You're too busy looking for wolpertingers to teleport!"
- During the third day, the vote was very close between Herblore and Runecrafting; the vote was tied multiple times, at which point Herblore is shown to be in the 3rd position and Runecrafting 4th. Due to Runecrafting being the popular free-to-play choice and Herblore being the popular Ironman Mode choice, this was highly regarded as an Ironman versus free-to-player war.
- The bank chest was moved from the south east of the crater to the north west although there was a bug that showed the bank icon on the map where the chest used to be for the duration of the event.
- The skill off tokens use the same icon as tokens of might.
- When training Agility at the pet parade, players use the happy walk walking animation.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Mod James H's Twitter account. 29 July 2019. (Archived from the original on 29 July 2019.) Mod James H: "Enjoy those continued gains after DXP down at the Lumbridge crater with the Summer Skill Off. Get down there now! Massive props to @JagexCampfire for this one."
- ^ Mod Meadows. Spectacular Summer Skill-Off. 29 July 2019. (Archived from the original on 31 July 2019.) "We've added a hotfix, Ironmen can now vote!"
- ^ Mod Meadows. Spectacular Summer Skill-Off. 29 July 2019. (Archived from the original on 31 July 2019.) "You will be able to get Skill Pets from this event, yes."