SMW Subobject for BarrowsNPC ID: 2024, 5153Examine: Wonder how long he's been here...Release date: 9 May 2005Is members only: trueActions: Talk to, ExamineIs variant of: Strange Old Man
SMW Subobject for Farming GuildExamine: A farmer in need (hard)Release date: 25 November 2019Is members only: trueActions: Help, Hand in hard request, ExamineIs variant of: Strange Old Man
The Strange Old Man can be found digging in the Barrows mounds. As his title suggests, he is a very peculiar individual with an obsession for digging, often saying strange things. During The Temple at Senntisten, he assists in recovering the icon guarded by the six brothers. He feigns his madness, claiming to work under an unknown master.
He also sent a scroll containing The Fall of Six to Reldo, found in the Lores and Histories section. The crumbling tome used to occasionally be received when he was talked to but it is now on a table north of Barrows near the entrance.
He also provides the rewards for the hard Morytania Achievement Diary.
He can give hard Farming requests at the Manor Farm which reward a Barrows item when completed.
|This article on an NPC has an associated dialogue page.|
Click here for a transcript of possible conversations and other messaging related to this NPC.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included—see here for how to help out!
- patch 18 April 2016 (Update):
- The Strange Old Man has now remembered how to dig at the Barrows mounds.
- patch 11 January 2016 (Update):
- Fixed graphical issues with strange old man.
- After having completed the quest Spirit of Summer, if a player talks to the Strange Old Man whilst wearing Jennica's ring then they will have a conversation with him, where he laments about Jennica, and begins talking about digging.
- If the player stands in front of the Strange Old Man in the direction he is trying to walk he will constantly perform his digging action on the player until he disappears and is reset on his normal path of movement.
- Contrary to his obsession for digging he is not actually digging; he is tilling, which is the act of softening soil.